Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

official teacher thread

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

Yeah it basically is.

But I know it goes by education level, and years of service. My throwing coach and gym teacher is actually the highest paid teacher in the school. He was #2 before my history teacher retired last year, he taught in NY for 35 or 40 years, and had a huge pension plan. Then came to Westfield, which is a very high paying district, and he has a phd, so he was making like 120,000 a year, plus his NY pension.

I know administrators make a lot as well, I was told the AD makes 150.
    150K a year to teach gym class and coach!?!
    Dang, thats impressive.
    It also seems kind of odd that the guy has a Phd and is teaching gym class.
    Either way, impressive gig.
    I wish I was a teacher.
    My coach isnt the athletic director. The AD actually has less experience than this coach does, but hes an administrator, so I guess thats why he makes so much.

And RK, would you rather hear me argue about Moss topics, or talk about teacher salaries?

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

official teacher thread

"Mr" wrote:

And RK, would you rather hear me argue about Moss topics, or talk about teacher salaries?
    Both are fine topics and deserve their own threads.
    Maybe I will split them into seperate threads if I can get the split topic thing to work.

WWBGD

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: official teacher thread

"RK." wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

Both are fine topics and deserve their own threads.
    Maybe I will split them into seperate threads if I can get the split topic thing to work.

This isn't as interesting anymore now that it isn't hijacking the Moss thread.

Someone go hijack the Moss thread with another topic so that it is worth reading.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

IMHO, In Canada, grade school teachers are waaay overeducated.
    They are forced to get 5-6 years of university just to teach, when in reality I don't think you need all that to teach high school and lower material.
    That is the biggest problem, rahter than being hired on merit (as in being a good teacher) they get hired based on credentials (which DOES NOT mean you're a good teacher).
    Like any job market, as it gets more saturated the jobs go to more "qualified" people with more education.
    I could probably teach better than half the teachers I had in grade school, even without any formal teaching education.

The problem is, you get teachers wanted more money because they have more university, when in reality they shouldn't have to.
    Teachers in Albeta are in a union and, yes, cannot be fired persay.
    They get 2 months vacation (and Christmas and Easter Holidays-3 weeks total), which is unheard of in any other job.
    The get sweet retirement packages, and get paid probably around 50-70 thousand a year.
    Not to mentions it seems they get raises (above the norm) ever year or they threaten strike action.

I'm sure that it can be a stressful job, but that doesn't make it overly difficult.
    Working in any situation where you're accountable for 30 or so people is stressfull.
    Working at McDonalds is stressfull.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Teachers are condiderably underpaid.
    To put up with some of these kids they have to deal with they deserve more respect and pay.
    At least when most of us were growing up they at least had the threat of the board of education to keep us in line.
    Get your butt paddled once or twice it straightens you out.
    Since they have done away with corporal punishment the teachers have lost any edge they once had.
    The bad part is with all the single parent homes they need that form of discipline now more than they ever did.
    Anyone that thinks it is an easy gig might want to step into their shoes for a couple of weeks.
    We will see how you feel after that.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingivan" wrote:
    Teachers are condiderably underpaid.
    To put up with some of these kids they have to deal with they deserve more respect and pay.
    At least when most of us were growing up they at least had the threat of the board of education to keep us in line.
    Get your butt paddled once or twice it straightens you out.
    Since they have done away with corporal punishment the teachers have lost any edge they once had.
    The bad part is with all the single parent homes they need that form of discipline now more than they ever did.
    Anyone that thinks it is an easy gig might want to step into their shoes for a couple of weeks.
    We will see how you feel after that.
    Using your argument daycare attendant or babysitters should get paid what teachers do (or more).

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

You want to talk about underpaid professions -- look at Pastors!
    In my church (Lutheran) we need a four year college degree then a 4 year Theology degree plus one year of vicarage (practice) for a job that starts at about $25,000. And I know very few pastors that make more than $50K a year in their lifetime with more than 25 years of experience. And for me and most pastors in my synod, there is mandatory continuing education at my own expense.
    And don't give me the standard "But you only work one day a week." Actually it's only an hour a week!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    In my church (Lutheran) we need a four year college degree then a 4 year Theology degree plus one year of vicarage (practice) for a job that starts at about $25,000. And I know very few pastors that make more than $50 in their lifetime with more than 25 years of experience. And for me and most pastors in my synod, there is mandatory continuing education at my own expense.
    Is this Marty?
    My high school buddy who went on to be a Lutheran Pastor

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    In my church (Lutheran) we need a four year college degree then a 4 year Theology degree plus one year of vicarage (practice) for a job that starts at about $25,000. And I know very few pastors that make more than $50 in their lifetime with more than 25 years of experience. And for me and most pastors in my synod, there is mandatory continuing education at my own expense.
    Is this Marty?
    My high school buddy who went on to be a Lutheran Pastor
    Nah. NOT Marty -- John
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Comparing low end teachers to high end athletes just does not work.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast