Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

official teacher thread

"Zeus" wrote:
    "coreyd" wrote:
    Dont get me wrong. I want Moss to win a ring pretty bad. All great players deserve a ring. Its what motivates them in their youth.
    No they don't - that's insane.
    "Great" players don't deserve anything more than a paycheck and the respect they earn with their great play.
    Not winning is part of the allure of sports - the Agony Of Defeat.

You wanna know who deserves something?
    Teachers.
    The people who educate our children DESERVE to be paid better and not have to dip into their own pockets to buy school supplies.

=Z=
    Teachers have it easy, they work 9 months out of the year and they get every holiday including Martin Luther King day and Presidents day off. Sure they start out only making 30,000 a year but if they become a coach, or principal there salary goes way up. Some teachers do spend some of there own money but usually only about $250 a year, that is the amount of the special tax break they get on there tax return. If the teachers are so great at what they do they will end up in a private school making big bucks. ;D
    Give randy a ring!!!! ;D

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

official teacher thread

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "coreyd" wrote:
    Dont get me wrong. I want Moss to win a ring pretty bad. All great players deserve a ring. Its what motivates them in their youth.
    "Great" players don't deserve anything more than a paycheck and the respect they earn with their great play.

Teachers.
    The people who educate our children DESERVE to be paid better and not have to dip into their own pockets to buy school supplies.

=Z=
    Teachers have it easy, they work 9 months out of the year and they get every holiday including Martin Luther King day and Presidents day off. Sure they start out only making 30,000 a year but if they become a coach, or principal there salary goes way up. Some teachers do spend some of there own money but usually only about $250 a year, that is the amount of the special tax break they get on there tax return. If the teachers are so great at what they do they will end up in a private school making big bucks. ;D
    Give randy a ring!!!! ;D
    Hmm...lots of things to address here. I know this is the Randy Moss thread and not the "official teacher discussion thread" but I think you have been misled.

I am about a year away from my teaching certificate, and I certainly appreciate Zeus sticking up for the public school teachers of the world! Don't get me wrong, we aren't destitute or anything, but like Dennis Leary once said, it's a crime that the worst middle infielder on the worst team in baseball makes about 10x what the state's best teacher does.

So anyway....teachers work 9 months out of the year and get holidays off, but they do have a difficult job. They deal with 120 new students every year and are forced to adjust to different learning styles, disabilities and new material year in and year out. Not to mention the fact that they deal with cirriculum requirements and other things mandated by the state or federal government and the local school board. Plus, they deal with parents. Yikes.

As far as salary increases go, most of it is based on the number of post-graduate credits you have. After about an extra 15-20 years (average) of schooling you get to the top of the pay scale, which in Pennsylvania is about 70,000 dollars (not awful, I know). Becoming a principal will take at LEAST a masters degree (maybe two) and often times requires a doctorate, and even they don't sniff six figures. Becoming a coach doesn't yield a whole lot either. At MOST you'll get an extra two or three thousand dollars a year, which is not a whole lot considering all the time that a coach needs to put in to build a program and do well.

Spending your own money on school supplies varies from district to district. Some schools give you everything you need, while other schools don't have the resources. Some teachers dip into their pockets way above 250 bucks.

Finally, the idea that you make "big bucks" at a private school isn't the norm. I'm sure some private schools pay their teachers great money, but the average private school pays about the same as a public school, and sometimes less. Not to mention the fact that private school teachers aren't unionized (at least not in Pa.) which means that they do not have tenure or any type of job security and don't receive any benefits from the union.

I'm not saying "Woe is me" because I am going to be a teacher. It's what I want to do and love doing, so I'm not bitching that we don't make much, but I think the people that contribute to the community the most deserve the big bucks. Then again, teachers don't control a multi-billion dollar business!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

official teacher thread

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "coreyd" wrote:

Teachers.

=Z=
    Give randy a ring!!!! ;D
    FUCK Randy...give ALL of the current Vikings players a ring!!!
    SOON!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

official teacher thread

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "coreyd" wrote:

Teachers.

=Z=
    Give randy a ring!!!! ;D
    Coming from someone who most likely does not teach....

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

official teacher thread

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "coreyd" wrote:

Teachers.

=Z=
    Give randy a ring!!!! ;D
    Hmm...lots of things to address here. I know this is the Randy Moss thread and not the "official teacher discussion thread" but I think you have been misled.

I am about a year away from my teaching certificate, and I certainly appreciate Zeus sticking up for the public school teachers of the world! Don't get me wrong, we aren't destitute or anything, but like Dennis Leary once said, it's a crime that the worst middle infielder on the worst team in baseball makes about 10x what the state's best teacher does.

So anyway....teachers work 9 months out of the year and get holidays off, but they do have a difficult job. They deal with 120 new students every year and are forced to adjust to different learning styles, disabilities and new material year in and year out. Not to mention the fact that they deal with cirriculum requirements and other things mandated by the state or federal government and the local school board. Plus, they deal with parents. Yikes.

As far as salary increases go, most of it is based on the number of post-graduate credits you have. After about an extra 15-20 years (average) of schooling you get to the top of the pay scale, which in Pennsylvania is about 70,000 dollars (not awful, I know). Becoming a principal will take at LEAST a masters degree (maybe two) and often times requires a doctorate, and even they don't sniff six figures. Becoming a coach doesn't yield a whole lot either. At MOST you'll get an extra two or three thousand dollars a year, which is not a whole lot considering all the time that a coach needs to put in to build a program and do well.

Spending your own money on school supplies varies from district to district. Some schools give you everything you need, while other schools don't have the resources. Some teachers dip into their pockets way above 250 bucks.

Finally, the idea that you make "big bucks" at a private school isn't the norm. I'm sure some private schools pay their teachers great money, but the average private school pays about the same as a public school, and sometimes less. Not to mention the fact that private school teachers aren't unionized (at least not in Pa.) which means that they do not have tenure or any type of job security and don't receive any benefits from the union.

I'm not saying "Woe is me" because I am going to be a teacher. It's what I want to do and love doing, so I'm not bitching that we don't make much, but I think the people that contribute to the community the most deserve the big bucks. Then again, teachers don't control a multi-billion dollar business!
    You left out all the benefits. Great retirement, can't be fired (once tenured), great insurance, dental, free daycare. I know for a fact that some principals in the MN area do make six figures. I also know that head basketball and football coaches in this area make a lot more that 2 or 3 thousand extra. Plus you add in that they can get a Summer job make 10-20 thousand or more. Teaching is a sweet gig, if it wasn't then there wouldn't be long lines to get teaching jobs. Don't get me wrong there are some incredible teachers but they get compensated nicely. Small business owners, now they have it tough.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

official teacher thread

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    You left out all the benefits. Great retirement, can't be fired (once tenured), great insurance, dental, free daycare. I know for a fact that some principals in the MN area do make six figures. I also know that head basketball and football coaches in this area make a lot more that 2 or 3 thousand extra. Plus you add in that they can get a Summer job make 10-20 thousand or more. Teaching is a sweet gig, if it wasn't then there wouldn't be long lines to get teaching jobs. Don't get me wrong there are some incredible teachers but they get compensated nicely. Small business owners, now they have it tough.
    Dude - there is no tenure system for school teachers that I know of.
    That's a system in place for college professors.

Also - how many teachers in a school district are head coaches of any sport?

Maybe people like to get into teaching because they enjoy helping mold young minds?
    I don't know a SINGLE person who has gone into teaching because it's a "sweet gig".
    On the contrary, I know people who have LEFT teaching because they just can't justify the job satisfaction against the mediocre salary any longer.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

official teacher thread

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

Maybe people like to get into teaching because they enjoy helping mold young minds?
    I don't know a SINGLE person who has gone into teaching because it's a "sweet gig".
    On the contrary, I know people who have LEFT teaching because they just can't justify the job satisfaction against the mediocre salary any longer.

=Z=
    3 years and 1 day gets you tenure in my school district.

official teacher thread

"Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

=Z=
    So how much should a teacher make zeus? 50k 70k, millions? It is a good job with decent pay and great benefits. Are there ways to make a lot more money? of course. How much should police officers make? How about firefighters? how about those in the military? Nurses? All of these people make vital contributions to society and they all make a modest salary, do they all deserve something? Heck, most of them work 12 months a year even.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

official teacher thread

"Mr" wrote:
    Link?
    I'm interested to see how they define "tenure", because that's a real loose use of the word, if it has nothing to do with merit.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

official teacher thread

I'm sure that the top 5% of teachers get paid very well, just as the top 5% of athletes do.

Tenure does not only apply to college professors.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast