Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: The Official Rock/Blues Thread (no metal)

"Frostbite" wrote:
    Well....I have always liked South City Midnight Lady by the Doobie Brothers....it's kind of obscure I know...that's one reason why I like it I think. Not the typical DB song.
    Absolutely!
    SCML is one of my favorite early DB songs.
    8)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

[quote author=purplepat link=topic=39925.msg718287#msg718287 date=1202245531] Anyway, count me as the token "progressive rock fan" on this board.

Spock's Beard [quote]

I'm a prog rock fan too.
    Most people have never heard of Spock's Beard, but they are very good.
    May I recommend you check out Porcupine Tree.
    An outstanding prog rock band, and their drummer, Gavin Harrison was recently selected as the Modern Drummer magazine top prog rock drummer.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

dont you know you cant kill the METAL!!!! grunge tried but it couldnt kill the METAL!!!
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Bump...

We lost 2 top notch artists last week, both relatively young. Many of you young guys won't know them, but I thought they deserved an honorable mention in this post.

Buddy Miles, 60 yrs old - drummer, who among other things played with Hendrix's Band of Gypsies.

Mike Smith, 64 yrs old - keyboard player and singer for the Dave Clark Five...really the driving force artistically for this band.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMike" wrote:
    Bump...

We lost 2 top notch artists last week, both relatively young. Many of you young guys won't know them, but I thought they deserved an honorable mention in this post.

Buddy Miles, 60 yrs old - drummer, who among other things played with Hendrix's Band of Gypsies.

Mike Smith, 64 yrs old - keyboard player and singer for the Dave Clark Five...really the driving force artistically for this band.

They say deaths happen in 3's. No sooner did I post the above, when I heard that Jeff Healey died at 41. Really was a very good guitarist, blind from the age of one. He played the guitar holding it on his lap. You might remember him from the movie "Road House" with Patrick Swayze and Sam Elliott.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Bump...

Mike Smith, 64 yrs old - keyboard player and singer for the Dave Clark Five...really the driving force artitically for this band.

They say deaths happen in 3's. No sooner did I post the above, when I heard that Jeff Healey died at 41. Really was a very good guitarist, blind from the age of one. He played the guitar holding it on his lap. You might remember him from the movie "Road House" with Patrick Swayze and Sam Elliott.
    Really bummed about Buddy Miles. I have a pretty extensive Vinyl collection, and his is one of my favorite album covers...

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Bump...

Mike Smith, 64 yrs old - keyboard player and singer for the Dave Clark Five...really the driving force artitically for this band.

Terrible news. I was just lamely attempting to play his cover version of 'Tore Down' yesterday. Jeff Healey was one of my favorite guitarists. He had been playing a lot of horn and jazz in recent years from what I hear. Great musician from Canada,I will definately miss him.

Buddy Miles was a great drummer.

And I'm showing my age but, I actually saw the Dave Clark Five live when I was a kid.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Deeply sadeened by the passing of Jeff Healy today. He had been fighting cancer all his life. His love of jazz and blues combined with the unique way he played were inspirations to all. The last couple years he was imersed in jazz, but on April 22nd he returns to blues and rock with a new album. Rock on brother, "as another blues stringer comes home."

Noticed the "Classical Thread"... made me get sentimental for the good ol' Rock/Blues thread...

Just thought I'd take some time and honor the tools of rock... The Guitar...

"Sometimes the best thing to do with a guitar is just sit back and look at it." Thom Yorke

Gibson ES-335

50's Reissue Fender Stratocaster (seafoam green)
    [img width=450 height=304]http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/50s-fender-strat.jpg[/img]

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast