Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offended

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Offended

For the very first time in my life, I think I am geuninely offended. By whom you ask? Of all people, Bryant Gumbel. After being on this Earth for nearly 19 years, I've heard some relatively rude, crude and racist things said in my time, but nothing has ever lit me up quite like this. Here is what he said:

Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t care about them and won’t watch them. In fact, I figure that when Thomas Paine said that “these are the times that try men’s souls,” he must’ve been talking about the start of another Winter Olympics. Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the winter games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won. -Real Sports with Bryan Gumbel

First of all, Gumbel is entitled to think whatever he wants about the Winter Olympics. He doesn't have to watch them, and he doesn't have to like them. With that said, his statement was flat out racism. A paucity of blacks means that these aren't the world's best athletes? How can you take away from the achievements of these men and women just because they are white? They trained, qualified and competed just the same as any other athlete did, black or white. To assert flat out that blacks are better athletes than whites is offensive.

Now you may say, "Well most other professional sports are dominated by blacks, so that has to mean something." Well that's BS too! That's like saying that because most of the CEOs of Fortune 500 companies are white, that white men are more intelligent businessmen than black men are. It's preposterous!

Let me ask you something, if Rush Limbaugh would have gone on ESPN and said "I don't watch the NFL anymore because back when I liked it in the '70s it was mostly white. Now I can't watch because of the paucity of white athletes. There's no way these black athletes are better than their white counterparts.", would he have a job left? Would he have a LIFE left? The answer is a resounding: NO! So why the double standard?

Anybody else offended by Gumbel's statement?

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Offended

yeah i watched that to i was soooooooooooooo p.o'ed!!

i personally love all of the olympics!

Go vikes!!

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

There can be a thin line between stereotype and racism. The fact of the matter is simple. The Winter Olympics seems to be dominated by White Athletes while the Summer Olympics seems to be dominated by Black Athletes. Different sports. Different types of people. The bottom line is they are ALL skilled at what they do . . . regardless of their color!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Welcome to the liberal biased media.. I haven't heard about this other than you..

But you're right, if Rush would have pulled something similar, he'd be skinned alive..

It is a double standard.. but we have to tough through it bud.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

aceclown is offline Coach

"Potus2028" wrote:
    Welcome to the liberal biased media.. I haven't heard about this other than you..

But you're right, if Rush would have pulled something similar, he'd be skinned alive..

I dont think Rush would be skinned for saying this, but if he would say something similar about the summer olympics and the predominant race involved in those games, he would be skinned.

Chuch.

"aceclown" wrote:
    "Potus2028" wrote:

I dont think Rush would be skinned for saying this, but if he would say something similar about the summer olympics and the predominant race involved in those games, he would be skinned.
    No, Rush wouldn't be skinned for saying what Gumbel said, but if he said something about white athletes being superior to black athelets in the Summer Olympics he'd be looking for a plane ticket to Canada.

bono is offline Hall of Famer

Well,
    After reading what you alleged Bryant stated, I found it NOT to be racist. And I too would have to agree with him on the Olympics (specifically Winter) are BORING!!! I don't watch that crap! The only connection I have to it is my job at the Milw. Journal Sentinel -Sports (we have guys over there covering it, plus us here at the office have a lot of Agate, etc that we are assigned to put together regarding it).
    I will admit, though, that it appears that when people of color (i.e. African-Americans, etc) say something anti/semi-anti-caucasian, it doesn't make headlines...not much of a NEGATIVE deal is made of it. If anything, people giggle at it. When caucasians, on the other hand, make statements that are/may appear anti/semi-anti African-American, minority, it's MAJOR NEWS. It's oh so evil. It's oh so "off with his/her heads"!
    I think THAT is wrong. I say this thing should work both ways. If Caucasians are to deal with all the anti/semi-anti Caucasian statements/jokes/beat downs, etc (which minorities -some of them - may not think is a big deal), then, the same should go the other way.
    BonoSugaRay IS Betamethasone Dunkin

p.s. I AM A MINORITY. JSYK (just so ya know)

"bono" wrote:
    Well,
    After reading what you alleged Bryant stated, I found it NOT to be racist. And I too would have to agree with him on the Olympics (specifically Winter) are BORING!!! I don't watch that crap! The only connection I have to it is my job at the Milw. Journal Sentinel -Sports (we have guys over there covering it, plus us here at the office have a lot of Agate, etc that we are assigned to put together regarding it).
    I will admit, though, that it appears that when people of color (i.e. African-Americans, etc) say something anti/semi-anti-caucasian, it doesn't make headlines...not much of a NEGATIVE deal is made of it. If anything, people giggle at it. When caucasians, on the other hand, make statements that are/may appear anti/semi-anti African-American, minority, it's MAJOR NEWS. It's oh so evil. It's oh so "off with his/her heads"!
    I think THAT is wrong. I say this thing should work both ways. If Caucasians are to deal with all the anti/semi-anti Caucasian statements/jokes/beat downs, etc (which minorities -some of them - may not think is a big deal), then, the same should go the other way.
    He can say what he wants about them being boring, and in some ways I agree with him that it's strange that we care so suddenly about sports that are pushed to the back 99% of the time, but to assert that the lack of black representation means that there is a lack of good athletes is wrong!

Itrey,
    that's what I said (winter olympics being boring). I totally agree w/ what he said here. And I found nothing wrong with his full statement.
    And, yeah, I'd rather watch a FULL SEASON of NBA basketball (dominated by minorities for the most part), than I would any portion of the olympics.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast