NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

http://nbcam.org/

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the United States, aside from skin cancer. According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), an estimated 192,370 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed among women in the United States this year. An estimated 40,170 women are expected to die from the disease in 2009 alone. Today, there are about 2.5 million breast cancer survivors living in the United States.

I have two aunts who are breast cancer survivors.
    This is a disease that will affect almost every single one of us at some point in our life.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

A good-looking, middle-aged man walked quietly into the cafe and sat down. Before he ordered, he couldn’t help notice a group of younger men at the table next to him. It was obvious they were making fun of something about him, and it wasn’t until he remembered he was wearing a small pink ribbon on the lapel of his suit that he became aware of what the joke was all about. The man brushed off the reaction as ignorance, but the smirks began to get to him. He looked one of the rude men square in the eye, placed his hand beneath the ribbon and asked, quizzically...

“This?” With that the men all began to laugh out loud. The man he addressed said, as he fought back laughter...

“Sorry man, but we were just commenting on how pretty your little ribbon looks against your blue jacket!”

The middle aged man calmly motioned for the joker to come over to his table, and invited him to sit down. As uncomfortable as he was, the guy obliged, not really sure why. In a soft voice, the middle aged man said

“I wear this ribbon to bring awareness about breast cancer. I wear it in my mother’s honour.” “Oh, sorry man. She died of breast cancer?”

“No, she didn’t. She’s alive and well. But her breasts nourished me as an infant, and were a soft resting place for my head when I was scared or lonely as a little boy. I’m very grateful for my mother’s breasts, and her health.”

“Umm,” the stranger replied, “Yeah.” “And I wear this ribbon to honour my wife,” the middle aged man went on.

“And she’s okay, too?”, the other guy asked.

“Oh, yes. She’s fine. Her breasts have been a great source of loving pleasure for both of us, and with them she nurtured and nourished our beautiful daughter 23 years ago. I am grateful for my wife’s breasts, and for her health.”

“Uh huh. And I guess you wear it to honour your daughter, also?”

”No. It’s too late to honour my daughter by wearing it now. My daughter died of breast cancer one month ago. She thought she was too young to have breast cancer, so when she accidentally noticed a small lump, she ignored it. She thought that since it wasn’t painful, it must not be anything to worry about.” Shaken and ashamed, the now sober stranger said...

“Geez, I’m really sorry”.

“So, in my daughter’s memory, too, I proudly wear this little ribbon, which allows me the opportunity to enlighten others. Now, go home and talk to your wife and your daughters, your mother and your friends.”

And here the middle-aged man reached in his pocket and handed the other man a little pink ribbon.

The guy looked at it, slowly raised his head and asked... “Can you help me put it on?”
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I like the pink on nfl.com
    The nhl also does some good stuff. I believe the players will all have pink sticks one of the nights.
    We're bringing purple back.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Great cause for the NHL and NFL to be involved in. My Mother-in-law is a survivor.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

My grandma and cousin have died from it.. My aunt is a survior

It runs in my family like mad.. I respect everything people do to fit these kinda things

RIP Elaine and Marcy