Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

NYC Couple Hail Cab for 2,400-Mile Ride

NEW YORK - Betty and Bob Matas have retired and are moving to Arizona, but like many New Yorkers they don't drive, and they don't want their cats to travel all that way in an airliner cargo hold.

Their solution: "Hey, cabbie."

They met taxi driver Douglas Guldeniz when they hailed his cab after a shopping trip several weeks ago.

They got to talking about their upcoming move, and "we said 'Do you want to come?'" said Bob Matas, 72, a former audio and video engineer for advertising agencies. "And he said 'Sure.'"

It was initially a gag, Matas said, but as they talked over the ensuing weeks it became reality.

They plan to leave Tuesday on the 2,400-mile trip to Sedona, Ariz., with Guldeniz driving his yellow SUV cab 10 hours a day for a flat fee of $3,000, plus gas, meals and lodging.

They're getting a break. The standard, metered fare would be about $5,000 _ each way, according to David Pollack, executive director of the Committee for Taxi Safety, a drivers' group. But city Taxi and Limousine Commission rules direct drivers and passengers to negotiate a flat fare for trips outside the city and a few suburban areas.

It's also a good deal for Guldeniz.

"This job is not easy, and I want to do something different," said Guldeniz, 45, who has been driving a taxi for two years. "I want to have some good memories."

The Matases will ride in relaxed comfort in Guldeniz's sport utility vehicle while their cats ride in the back in their travel cases. A mover will haul their belongings.

"It's a little unusual, but it will be fun," said Betty Matas, 71, a retired executive administrative assistant.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/04/09/ap/strange/d8ocp87o2.txt

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NYC Couple Hail Cab for 2,400-Mile Ride

seems like a reasonable charge for a cab fare from NY to AZ.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Prophet" wrote:
    seems a little pricy to me. couldn't you just rent a car for like $500. then pay someone a $1000 to do the driving? Do they have to pay for the gas and lodging on the way back to NY too? Someone should have told them about craigslist.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    seems a little pricy to me. couldn't you just rent a car for like $500. then pay someone a $1000 to do the driving? Do they have to pay for the gas and lodging on the way back to NY too? Someone should have told them about craigslist.
    If money is no object and you choose to ride a cab then it's too much of a pain to look into options.
    Just jump into a cab and say Phoenix and you're on your way.
    Simple.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Good luck renting a car to go out of state (one way).
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I don't think it is that hard, all the national car rentals will let you pickup at one location and drop off at another.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I don't think it is that hard, all the national car rentals will let you pickup at one location and drop off at another.
    Yeah, but you rent the car and also pay the gas.

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Yeah, but you rent the car and also pay the gas.
    the article says they are paying for gas with the cab as well. plus meals and lodging.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Not over state lines.
    It can really screw with inventories if you allowed people to pick up and drop off wherever.
    UHaul and Budget rely on interstate movement to keep their inventories stocked, but still have to employ drivers to move vehicles around.

Most rental companies have a disclaimer like this one from Enterprise:
    Generally, one way rentals are possible within a metropolitan area. Please consult with the Enterprise office to determine if a one way rental is possible.
    **EDIT** I take it back.
    It looks like Hertz does allow for interstate one ways for around $600 for a week.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

$3000 + expenses because they dont want their "cats" to be uncomfortable for a 4 or 5 hour flight?
    Most cats dont like riding in cars....they will probably be car sick for more then a week, kept in a tiny cage for a week....yes....sounds much nicer for Morris and Fluffy....

These people are just stupid....
    I hope their cats eat some tainted cat food the first day they arrive in Arizona!
    ;D
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast