Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: North Dakota - The Emptied Prairie

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Rural North Dakota is not some empty, impoverished prairie...
    The situations and economic reasons behind the migration to the urban areas in North Dakota are fairly unique because the migration happened so late compared to many other parts of the country.
    It is not a bad thing, it is part of an evolution of the state.
    Is that a true statement?
    I thought that the rural communities were known for low family incomes, near poverty levels, at least that is how it was when I lived in SD.
    Maybe not impoverished, but low income. But I don't know where this idea comes from.
    The thing I got out of the article was that the communities gradually couldn't keep members because they had to go to the bigger cities to make a living, for greener pastures.
    Absolutely it is a true statement.
    The ND Poverty rate in rural areas has steadily been going down for the past two decades, and is currently about the same as the national average (which has been going up).
    I would hardly call that "low family income".
    The per capita income in the rural areas is right around $30k - not bad at all, especially when you consider that the cost of living is fairly low.
    http://www.ers.usda.gov/StateFacts/ND.htm

Funny how none of that was mentioned in the article either... but then again, it would have gone against the author's idea of what he wanted to find in North Dakota.
    What you got out of the article was exactly what the author wanted you to get out of it. Unfortunately it isn't even close to being true - but apparently that isn't really all that important to National Geographic.

I think that Cojomay had it right - the author had predetermined what he wanted to write, and came to ND in search of supporting evidence.
    You should take that dude's job.
    If only North Dakotans could read and write...
    ....and stop voting for these guys

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Rural North Dakota is not some empty, impoverished prairie...
    The situations and economic reasons behind the migration to the urban areas in North Dakota are fairly unique because the migration happened so late compared to many other parts of the country.
    It is not a bad thing, it is part of an evolution of the state.
    Is that a true statement?
    I thought that the rural communities were known for low family incomes, near poverty levels, at least that is how it was when I lived in SD.
    Maybe not impoverished, but low income. But I don't know where this idea comes from.
    The thing I got out of the article was that the communities gradually couldn't keep members because they had to go to the bigger cities to make a living, for greener pastures.
    Absolutely it is a true statement.
    The ND Poverty rate in rural areas has steadily been going down for the past two decades, and is currently about the same as the national average (which has been going up).
    I would hardly call that "low family income".
    The per capita income in the rural areas is right around $30k - not bad at all, especially when you consider that the cost of living is fairly low.
    http://www.ers.usda.gov/StateFacts/ND.htm

Funny how none of that was mentioned in the article either... but then again, it would have gone against the author's idea of what he wanted to find in North Dakota.
    What you got out of the article was exactly what the author wanted you to get out of it. Unfortunately it isn't even close to being true - but apparently that isn't really all that important to National Geographic.

I think that Cojomay had it right - the author had predetermined what he wanted to write, and came to ND in search of supporting evidence.
    You should take that dude's job.
    If only North Dakotans could read and write...
    ....and stop voting for these guys

Ahmen

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

That would be about the stupiest thing your state ever did.
    You guys ever wonder why you had some of the best wheat prices you had ever seen.
    Don't thank the Republicans.
    Go back and study Quentin Burdick (D) Senator for North Dakota for about half a century.
    Your importance and overall power comes from building some stature in congress with your senators.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567