Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vikingTurf Guest

Re: Non-World Cup Football Thread

Dunga - New coach of Brazil
    Basile - New coach of argentina

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Wayne Rooney does not play up to his potential, really, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    That was out of no where and your an idiot....the only games he didn't annihilate opposing defenders is englands last 2 games of the WC and england used a 4-5-1. There was only 1 striker and none of the midfeilders could get the ball up to rooney because he was trying to play the whole feild like Rooney always does. He was also just coming off of a broken leg and ge came back more than a few weeks then expected. If youve seen Rooney rip through as many defenders as i have you can't say he doesnt loive up to potential.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    That was out of no where and your an idiot....the only games he didn't annihilate opposing defenders is englands last 2 games of the WC and england used a 4-5-1. There was only 1 striker and none of the midfeilders could get the ball up to rooney because he was trying to play the whole feild like Rooney always does. He was also just coming off of a broken leg and ge came back more than a few weeks then expected. If youve seen Rooney rip through as many defenders as i have you can't say he doesnt loive up to potential.
    Don't worry about it man, I've had a running battle with this guy in another thread and since he ran outta that one all he can do is try his lame one-liners here instead.

Regarding Dunga's appointment in Brazil, I just read an article from Tim Vickery at the BBC and it looks like an interesting time in Brazilian football. Other than that there's not much going on in the Premiership; silly season (the time for ridiculous rumours and speculation) is coming to an end. My local club (Luton Town) is all change, but this thread is only for the top leagues in the world.

Bring on the 19th of August!

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"Benet" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Don't worry about it man, I've had a running battle with this guy in another thread and since he ran outta that one all he can do is try his lame one-liners here instead.

Regarding Dunga's appointment in Brazil, I just read an article from Tim Vickery at the BBC and it looks like an interesting time in Brazilian football. Other than that there's not much going on in the Premiership; silly season (the time for ridiculous rumours and speculation) is coming to an end. My local club (Luton Town) is all change, but this thread is only for the top leagues in the world.

Benet, I know this is a little off topic, but I saw this on Wikipedia...."In 2004, Luton was voted as the 'crappiest' town in the UK in the book Crap Towns II (edited by Sam Jordison and Dan Kieran), beating previous winners in Crap Towns (eds Sam Jordison and Dan Kieran) of Kingston upon Hull. It was said to have won due to its abundance of abysmally ugly architecture, abundance of chain stores and lack of heart"

Is it really the crappiest town in the UK? Even if it is, those are good reasons to be crappy. If they did crappiest town in the U.S. Detroit would take the cake. Not only is it an ugly place, but you aren't even supposed to stop to go to the drive-tru at fast food places (unless you want your car stolen)
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

"Bdubya" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Benet, I know this is a little off topic, but I saw this on Wikipedia...."In 2004, Luton was voted as the 'crappiest' town in the UK in the book Crap Towns II (edited by Sam Jordison and Dan Kieran), beating previous winners in Crap Towns (eds Sam Jordison and Dan Kieran) of Kingston upon Hull. It was said to have won due to its abundance of abysmally ugly architecture, abundance of chain stores and lack of heart"

Is it really the crappiest town in the UK? Even if it is, those are good reasons to be crappy. If they did crappiest town in the U.S. Detroit would take the cake. Not only is it an ugly place, but you aren't even supposed to stop to go to the drive-tru at fast food places (unless you want your car stolen)
    Yeah it is an hole of a town.. But hey, it's my town and it has my team in it so I love it regardless!

:razz:

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Wasn't Rooney paired with Ruud @ Man U? Ruud isn't that bad. Torres just stated that he isn't going anywhere. Looks like Ronaldo will be gone too

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"Benet" wrote:
    "Bdubya" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Yeah it is an hole of a town.. But hey, it's my town and it has my team in it so I love it regardless!

:razz:
    That's the spirit! :grin:

If you don't love where you are, then where is the love?
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Personally, I'm an Arsenal fan, but wow! Chelsea is buying some talent! Looks like they are pulling a R Madrid

~ Also, Rooney only has 11 goals in 33 England App's? Whats up with that?

"Slade" wrote:
    Personally, I'm an Arsenal fan, but wow! Chelsea is buying some talent! Looks like they are pulling a R Madrid

~ Also, Rooney only has 11 goals in 33 England App's? Whats up with that?
    You've hit a point why I believe Americans will never love football as much as the rest of the world does. I don't intend that as an insult. I don't mean to say we're superior because you don't understand the game, or that you SHOULD love football more than any other sport. I love North American sports. This is just a personal theory that I've held for a long time.. Since I fell in love with the NBA (the first professional North American sport I came into contact with through an old-friend of mine who was a HUGE Suns fan back when Barkley was still there!).

An obsession with statistics. Seriously. It's almost funny how much American sports revolve around statistics. Again, I have to stress I love the NFL, NBA, NHL, and the MLB, but I sometimes feel a little disappointed when games are reduced to statistics. Of course it happens in all sports, and football is no different as statistics can enhance our understanding of the game, but in America a player is defined by his statistics over everything else. Who would Joe Mauer be if he only hit .200 so far this season? He'd be criticised for not hitting over .300 as expected. The difference between .200 and .300? One hit in ten at-bats. What's the difference between 3.7 yards and 4.0 yards per carry for a running back? I'll tell you, it's the difference between getting lambasted or praised on ESPN.

Football, the global kind (:wink does not have that international obsession with statistics. Sure, you can find those statistics if you want them. The Carling Opta Statistics are the best in the business, all the main broadcasters reference them during their coverage, but it's rare that you'll see a game broken down into so many different areas that can be defined by fractions of a percent. For example; there's no statistic that displays how many successful step-overs Cristiano Ronaldo does in a game, there's no statistic that tells us how many Cruyff turns result in beaten opponents.. This obsession with stats is totally non-existent. The only stats mentioned in newspapers in any depth will be shots on goal, goals per game (usually referenced in terms of "one goal in every two games" rather than a .500 strikerate), total possession of the ball (and even then only if it's over 55%, otherwise it's neglible), and number of fouls and/or the number of cards produced.

The reason for this, and it's true for ALL sports but is lost in the sea of statistics especially in America, is that there's so much more to a game than statistics. There's so much more to a football player than statistics. Hence Rooney's not-that-impressive strike rate in the Premiership. However, what that statistic doesn't tell you is the quality of his goals (all of which are top drawer), nor does it tell you his impact on a game. How his very presence necessitates opposing teams to completely alter their gameplan against Manchester United. That goals-per-game ratio doesn't tell you how he runs for 90 minutes, giving it his heart and soul for the shirt he wears. That goals-per-game ratio doesn't tell you how he is the key between the midfield and the forwards for United (he plays the oft-discussed "hole" position, in front of the midfield but behind the striker) and will often take the ball in the centre circle and run with it til he hits the opposition's penalty area.

I know I rambled on there, but this is something I think about every time I read an article on baseball, basketball, the NFL, or hockey.

Anyway, to get to your other point: where have you been? :razz: Chelsea have been buying up EVERYBODY for 3 years now.. It looks like they'll get Ashley Cole soon too if the rumours are to be believed.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast