Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Non-World Cup Football Thread

"Benet" wrote:
    Just got the full verdicts on the four Italian clubs from a friend of mine whose Dad speaks Italian and watched the live press conference on Italian television:

Juventus: Serie 'B' 30 points deducted - 2004/05 and 2005/06 titles stripped.

Fiorentina: Serie 'B' 12 points deducted.

Lazio: Serie 'B' 7 points deducted. Banned from Champions League football this season.

Milan: Serie 'A' but 15 points docked. Banned from Champions League football this season.
    wow thats huge
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Basically this means that Juventus will spend AT LEAST two seasons in Serie B, the Italian second division. They need to get 70 points to even think about remaining in the division this year, (70 - 30 = 40. 40 points is usually the target for any club hoping to remain in a division).

I don't think they'll be able to hang onto Gianluigi Buffon, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluca Zambrotta, Patrick Vieira, David Trezeguet, Pavel Nedved, Emerson, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, or indeed any of their first team players except maybe Alessandro Del Piero.

Fiorentina and Lazio will loan out their top players to the remaining Serie A clubs in the hope that they'll get out of Serie B and be able to recall those players in 2007, while Milan have got off lightly and will probably be able to hold onto most, if not all of their top players.

vikingTurf Guest

"Benet" wrote:
    Basically this means that Juventus will spend AT LEAST two seasons in Serie B, the Italian second division. They need to get 70 points to even think about remaining in the division this year, (70 - 30 = 40. 40 points is usually the target for any club hoping to remain in a division).

I don't think they'll be able to hang onto Gianluigi Buffon, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluca Zambrotta, Patrick Vieira, David Trezeguet, Pavel Nedved, Emerson, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, or indeed any of their first team players except maybe Alessandro Del Piero.

Fiorentina and Lazio will loan out their top players to the remaining Serie A clubs in the hope that they'll get out of Serie B and be able to recall those players in 2007, while Milan have got off lightly and will probably be able to hold onto most, if not all of their top players.
    cannavaro on to Real Madrid, Ibrahimovic onto Inter Milan, Buffon??? I am sure one of the top teams will grab him, arguably the best goal keeper in the world.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

My boy Essien is coming to the US when Chelsea plays in the MLS All star game!

I have trouble to follow real football during the offseason, so I don't see the point of trying to follow soccer when they aren't even playing right now.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Well, the exodus is about to begin: Thuram wants out, Zambrotta is as good as gone, Pirlo is rumoured to want to leave, Luca Toni is rumoured to be on the way out, and Manchester United have stated publicly that they're going to bid on Juventus players in the next week or so. This is after Chelsea have flown in a representative to try and convince Zambrotta to want to come to Stamford Bridge.

Oh, and did I mention Fernando Torres is Man Utd's handpicked replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy? Rooney and Torres up front would form the most potent young strike partnership IN THE WORLD.

Even though I don't like Man Utd that much, I do harbour some respect for Sir Alex Ferguson's success (on the other hand, his man management skills leave a LOT to be desired), and I would LOVE to see Torres in the Premiership.

vikingTurf Guest

"Benet" wrote:
    Well, the exodus is about to begin: Thuram wants out, Zambrotta is as good as gone, Pirlo is rumoured to want to leave, Luca Toni is rumoured to be on the way out, and Manchester United have stated publicly that they're going to bid on Juventus players in the next week or so. This is after Chelsea have flown in a representative to try and convince Zambrotta to want to come to Stamford Bridge.

Oh, and did I mention Fernando Torres is Man Utd's handpicked replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy? Rooney and Torres up front would form the most potent young strike partnership IN THE WORLD.

Even though I don't like Man Utd that much, I do harbour some respect for Sir Alex Ferguson's success (on the other hand, his man management skills leave a LOT to be desired), and I would LOVE to see Torres in the Premiership.
    But seems like Athletico is doing all it can to keep Torres with them, but ya I agree with you, it will be nice to see Rooney and Torres together, for once Rooney will have a potent striking partner. It seems AC milan is keeping all of its main players and in fact looking to add Zambrotta.

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    But seems like Athletico is doing all it can to keep Torres with them, but ya I agree with you, it will be nice to see Rooney and Torres together, for once Rooney will have a potent striking partner. It seems AC milan is keeping all of its main players and in fact looking to add Zambrotta.
    Oh I agree mate, just because United want him doesn't mean he's actually going to sign. It seems like Atletico are changing their minds' depending on what day of the week it is; we've heard the club will not accept any offers, now the latest is they value Torres at between 20 and 25 million pounds. We've heard Torres would never consider moving, then we hear that he's thinking about United. It's all up in the air.

If it were me in charge of United I'd ship off Van Nistelrooy for 13 - 16 million pounds or so then sink that money and then some into prising Torres from Atletico.

vikingTurf Guest

Bergkamp played about 30 mins in his farewell game for Arsenal. He definitely was a great player for Holland and for Arsenal, of course i will never forget him for the way he skillfully kicked Argentina out of world cup '98 with that stunning goal.

It was amazing to see all those players back in Arsenal colours..

Marc Overmars, Steve Bould, Ray Parlour, Emmanuel Petit, Patrick Vieira, Ian Wright, Glenn Helder, David Seaman, Lee Dixon, Nigel Winterburn..

And to see Johan Cruyff and Marco van Basten play again was incredible! Van Basten even dusted off a couple of great moves.. Great game to see and a wonderful way to sign off on a fabulous career.

vikingTurf Guest

"Benet" wrote:
    It was amazing to see all those players back in Arsenal colours..

Marc Overmars, Steve Bould, Ray Parlour, Emmanuel Petit, Patrick Vieira, Ian Wright, Glenn Helder, David Seaman, Lee Dixon, Nigel Winterburn..

And to see Johan Cruyff and Marco van Basten play again was incredible! Van Basten even dusted off a couple of great moves.. Great game to see and a wonderful way to sign off on a fabulous career.
    Damn I missed it, I jsut watched few minutes in Sopcast, I didn't know they had so many former stars at hand.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast