Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Non-World Cup Football Thread

4-0 at half time against Greece.

That'll do me. Captain Terry getting the first goal, very fitting. I don't care what anyone says, Crouch is still undeserving of his place and the more I see of him the more I wish Dean Ashton was there. That's a minor complaint though.

whatever is offline Waterboy

"Benet" wrote:
    4-0 at half time against Greece.

That'll do me. Captain Terry getting the first goal, very fitting. I don't care what anyone says, Crouch is still undeserving of his place and the more I see of him the more I wish Dean Ashton was there. That's a minor complaint though.
    For those bitching about Beckham's exit, from what I heard Stevie played a good game in beckham's position at the right today.

He did indeed. Gerrard played on the right side of midfield for Liverpool for the last 2 seasons, and last season alone scored 23 goals in all competitions. While I think Beckham is a great player, Gerrard is infinitely more productive in front of goal, and can also put in a great cross or three. I think with Beckham gone, the midfield is more balanced, with Lampard being able to go forward and not sprint back to defend in front of the back four, and Owen Hargreaves is quietly becoming a very influential player on the international scene. The first half last night was fantastic. Yes, Greece were dire, but you can only beat what is in front of you, and a performance like England had really gives your next opponents something to think about.

And if I could take any player in the world right now, it would be John Terry.

whatever is offline Waterboy

Espanyol vs Barca today for the Supercup, hopefully I will be able to watch it online, 2 days till start of EPL season.

simonsparre is offline Pro-Bowler

CHAMPIONES!!

FCK (my danish team) beated Ajax 2-0 in Amsterdam (we lost 2-1 in Copenhagen)!! Champions league baby!

Chelsea just lost to Middlesbrough.

That's twice in 2 visits to the Riverside that Chelsea have lost there.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    Chelsea just lost to Middlesbrough.

That's twice in 2 visits to the Riverside that Chelsea have lost there.
    Caught the last 5 mins of that game on the replay on FOX Soccer Channel last night.
    Cheeky final goal for 'Boro.

Can't WAIT for FIFA 07 to come out.
    I'm buying a 50-inch TV and XBOX 360 this weekend.
    I'll be Madden crazy for a month until FIFA hits the shelves.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Thatcher dropped & charged by FA

A Manchester City defender has been suspended by his club and charged by the Football Association following his challenge on Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes.
    Ben Thatcher must answer a charge of serious foul play by 12 September.

And a statement on City's website said: "Ben Thatcher has been suspended from first-team action.

"This is pending the results of the club's internal investigation into the incident involving Pedro Mendes during the game with Portsmouth on Wednesday."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/5281686.stm

Shocking challenge worst I have seen for a while, now it seems the police are getting involved.

Here's a link to a video of it for anyone who hasn't seen it ......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...thatcher&hl=en

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

The draw for the Champions League (Europes biggest club competition) was made on Thursday, once again pitting arguably the 2 best clubs in Europe, Chelsea and Barcelona together. Inter Milan and Bayern Munich face each other in another tough group whilst Man Utd and Celtic meet in an England versus Scotland encounter.

The Champions League groups

Group A: FC Barcelona (Spain), Chelsea (England), Werder Bremen (Germany), Levski Sofia (Bulgaria)

Group B: Inter Milan (Italy), Bayern Munich (Germany), Sporting Lisbon (Portugal), Spartak Moscow (Russia)

Group C: Liverpool (England), PSV Eindhoven (the Netherlands), Bordeaux (France), Galatasaray (Turkey)

Group D: Valencia (Spain), AS Roma (Italy) Olympiacos (Greece), Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)

Group E: Real Madrid (Spain), Lyon (France), Steaua Bucharest (Romania), Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine)

Group F: Manchester United (England), Celtic FC (Scotland), Benfica (Portugal), Copenhagen (Denmark)

Group G: Arsenal (England), FC Porto (Germany), CSKA Moscow (Russia), Hamburger SV (Germany)

Group H: AC Milan (Italy), Lille (France), AEK Athens (Greece), Anderlecht (Belgium)

Teams play home and away top 2 progress to the knockout stages.

I'm glad the FA has tore up the rule book to charge Thatcher, that foul was disgraceful, and to see the Chief of Referees has acted by demoting 2 of the refs involved in poor decisions this past week is a positive move too. I hate to admit it, but I think the Premiership has the most inconsistent refereeing in the developed-footballing world.

Chelsea v Barcelona in the Champions League. I have to be honest, this didn't surprise me ONE BIT. A friend of mine who's an avid Chelsea fan called me while the draw was happening and just screamed "FIX!!" down the phone at me before hanging up. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if rumours started circulating that this was done purposely to perpetuate the rivalry between the 2 clubs. Chelsea and Barcelona facing off is probably the single-biggest draw for the neutral fan in the Champions League right now. People from all over the continent will tune in to those matches because of the history between them.

All of this is of little consequence to me at the moment, Luton have a 2-1-1 (2 wins, 1 loss and 1 tie) record after 4 games, and now we have ANOTHER new striker, Sam Parkin from Ipswich. If only we could get some more depth in midfield and defence we'd be golden. Oh well, bring on Wolverhampton Wanderers!!

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast