Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: NO, Were being lied to!

Someone should tell that to the governor of LA!!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Actually you guys were pretty slow with Iraq and Tsunami victims as well, but who's counting.
    "YOU GUYS"

I don't care if we were slow, we are always the ones to be counted on in time of need. Does Canada want to tag along too, grab onto our coat tail. I hate to sound like this. The world would survive with out us but if we stopped doing what we do, there would be a lot of dazed countries, scratching their heads, where is the US?

As far as our government though. The buddy that Bush appointed has no experience in disaster relief efforts. I just saw that someone hired the previous director to help out on the Relief efforts for LA.
    Actually Canada hs volunteered to help the US in this case. It remains to be seen if the world would be worse off if the US weren't such a superpower, but that is hypothetical, so there is no sense getting into that. I was simply saying that although the US is of great importance to the world community, it has deficiencies in responding to crisis' in a timely manner. That is all.

Italian Stallion I live in Minnesota and i go to Canada to fish about every 3 years and have for along time. From being so close to Canada I get to here about your country's political view, a lot!

It is getting tiring hearing Canadian's think that they are so superior to us in their world views, and in politics! I guess I do not understand since we have always been a good neighbor to your country.

We have provided your country with probably the best security a country could enjoy, at the expense of the United States Citizen's!

We have never tried to influance your country's political system. And we have always been your largest trading partner, and have not imposed huge terriffs!

Because your country borders us it has been a huge bennefit for Canada, and has brought more bennefit's than it has negetives!

But this superior attitude from Canadian's citizens is getting a little tiresome!

Our country is a world power, we have got to take risks and try and create a better world, because only a few other countries are out there trying to do the same. Your country tags along (sometimes), when it wants to, and supplies a token force of a few thousand soldiers! Our country foots the bill, and loses a lot of our young to try and make the world a better place.

Your country should be suppling aid for the hurricane relief effort, because it has a derict benefit to do so! We are your largest trading partnership, and it is the right thing to do.

If it was Canada in trouble, do you doubt for one minute that the US would come to your aid?

So please spare us your superior attitude, and maybe thank us because your country has slept under the protection of the United States your whole life!

And do you really doubt that the United States could invaded Canada at any time it wanted to in the last 100 years! But that is not the kind of Country we are, and the people in Canada know it! But as a country you have a Naploen complex about the US!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Cajun - I would take your post more seriously as a unbiased person if you had a more balanced view. I have read your posts for a year now and your disdane for Bush oozes out of every post. Every Prseident has done some good things along with the bad, if you were as balanced as you say you would at some point have had something good to say about Bush. If that had happened then your comments might have some weight as an independent but you have sounded like very other liberal I have ever heard. And no matter how many times you say you are independent all I have to say if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck............it's a duck!
    Stick around...once the USA has a majority of Democrats in Congress, along with a Democratic president, I will most assuredly be bashing their policies as well. You can think what you will...it doesn't change my poor opinion of Bush...in my opinion, McCain would have been a better choice to lead this country, but his party determined that Bush was more electable...Bush is reaping the benefits that come with a Republican majority in Congress. And yes, I don't have much good to say about Bush, because he does things like dragging religion into government, which I don't condone. If the Republicans would leave the abortion issue out of it and cater more to the middle classes in their economic policies, I might be tempted to be a lot less critical about Bush...but it seems that Bush is letting the fact that he currently has a majority in Congress go to his head. After witnessing the witchhunt that the Republicans had for Clinton during Monicagate, I don't have much respect for the current Republican leadership. So if I don't like the current leadership, my displeasure will be manifested as criticism for that leadership...no matter what the party, race, creed or origin. I don't like the Democrats stance on entitlement programs, affirmative action and other issues...but they are not currently in power, so I don't have to be concerned about the damage that they might inflict on our country...what I do have to be concerned with is who can cause problems...and currently it is the Republican administration. So I will continue to be critical of the current administration...until that time that balance is restored...then I will stand back and let them fight it out on equal ground...and expect to see the sort of compromises that result from both side having to truly listen to each other in order to come up with the best solutions for our country. I refuse to march in lockstep with one party or the other blindly...I will always demand better from our leaders...no matter what others think.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

So basically what you are saying is beayth about everything and everybody that has any power. Start enjoying life a little more.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    So basically what you are saying is beayth about everything and everybody that has any power. Start enjoying life a little more.
    That's how power is kept in check...otherwise, if criticism is stifled, those in power become corrupt without impunity. Witness those countries where the media is severely curtailed...the former Soviet Union, many Middle Eastern countries, Cuba, the People's Republic of China...they all punish voicing of viewpoints counter to the party lines of their respective governments. While the media may not be perfect by a long shot, the open forum still allows for the airing of all viewpoints on a given subject, not just the ones that the ruling party wants broadcast. We should always have the right to "beayth" about what we don't like (or even do something about it if we are so inclined, legally that is) without fear that we will be punished.

As far as enjoying life, I am doing quite well thank you.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Can't we all just get along!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "PAvikesfan" wrote:
    Not Bush's fault. (man, i cannot believe I am saying that)

Poor people tried to ride it out. more causalties than if they would've been trucked out. problem was LA gave them a choice to stay if they wanted. Problem solving: when it is time to call evacution, all must be policed to leave. if they refuse to leave, stupid people will be living with their own stupid fault if they are stranded.

Problem was the evacuation wasn't aggressive enough.

However, as this might not be Bush's fault because you can't predict how bad a disaster will be, i will say Bush is a toolbag. He just seems to lack problem solving skills. he is the type of guy that when he was a kid he'd take a square block and bang on it to try and make it fit into a circle hole.

anyway, i got off topic.

National guard should be staying home to do national things.

America should not turn down any help other countries offer, even Cuba.

I hate what happened after the disaster more than the actual disaster.
    The National Guard was sent to Bosnia by Bill Clinton, and there is still a contingent from Minnesota there yet!!!!

So if you think that American President's have not been sending National Guard troops to other actions for decades you are kidding yourself.
    Don't be silly. I never said Bush was the only one to ever send National Guard anywhere. National guard should stay National. That is all.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

An interesting interview today.
    CNN

S. O'BRIEN: There are people who say your evacuation plan, obviously in hindsight, was disastrous.

MAYOR RAY NAGIN, NEW ORLEANS: Which one?

S. O'BRIEN: Your evacuation plan before -- when you put people into the Superdome. It wasn't thought out. You got 20,000 people in there. And that you bear the brunt of the blame for some of this, a large chunk of it.

NAGIN: Look, I'll take whatever responsibility that I have to take. But let me ask you this question: When you have a city of 500,000 people, and you have a category 5 storm bearing down on you, and you have the best you've ever done is evacuate 60 percent of the people out of the city, and you have never issued a mandatory evacuation in the city's history, a city that is a couple of hundred years old, I did that. I elevated the level of distress to the citizens.

And I don't know what else I could do, other than to tell them that it's a mandatory evacuation. And if they stayed, make sure you have a frigging ax in your home, where you can bust out the roof just in case the water starts flowing.

And as a last resort, once this thing is above a category 3, there are no buildings in this city to withstand a category 3, a category 4 or a category 5 storm, other than the Superdome. That's where we sent people as a shelter of last resort. When that filled up, we sent them to the Convention Center. Now, you tell me what else we could have done.

S. O'BRIEN: What has Secretary Chertoff promised you? What has Donald Rumsfeld given you and promised you?

NAGIN: Look, I've gotten promises to -- I can't stand anymore promises. I don't want to hear anymore promises. I want to see stuff done. And that's why I'm so happy that the president came down here, because I think they were feeding him a line of bull also. And they were telling him things weren't as bad as it was.

He came down and saw it, and he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action.

And what the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate.

And then, the president and the governor sat down. We were in Air Force One. I said, 'Mr. President, Madam Governor, you two have to get in sync. If you don't get in sync, more people are going to die.'

S. O'BRIEN: What date was this? When did you say that? When did you say...

NAGIN: Whenever air Force One was here.

S. O'BRIEN: OK.

NAGIN: And this was after I called him on the telephone two days earlier. And I said, 'Mr. President, Madam Governor, you two need to get together on the same page, because of the lack of coordination, people are dying in my city.'

S. O'BRIEN: That's two days ago.

NAGIN: They both shook -- I don't know the exact date. They both shook their head and said yes. I said, 'Great.' I said, 'Everybody in this room is getting ready to leave.' There was senators and his cabinet people, you name it, they were there. Generals. I said, 'Everybody right now, we're leaving. These two people need to sit in a room together and make a doggone decision right now.'

S. O'BRIEN: And was that done?

NAGIN: The president looked at me. I think he was a little surprised. He said, "No, you guys stay here. We're going to another section of the plane, and we're going to make a decision."

He called me in that office after that. And he said, "Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor." I said -- and I don't remember exactly what. There were two options. I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision.

S. O'BRIEN: You're telling me the president told you the governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision?

NAGIN: Yes.

S. O'BRIEN: Regarding what? Bringing troops in?

NAGIN: Whatever they had discussed. As far as what the -- I was abdicating a clear chain of command, so that we could get resources flowing in the right places.

S. O'BRIEN: And the governor said no.

NAGIN: She said that she needed 24 hours to make a decision. It would have been great if we could of left Air Force One, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out. It didn't happen, and more people died.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

S. O'BRIEN: The mayor making it clear that much politicking was going on, even as people here were continuing to suffer. The mayor clearly thinking that the governor did way too little, way too late for her part.

We put a call into Governor Blanco's office. They declined to come on our show this morning and talk to us. Her spokesperson did say, though, that it was a -- this was a tragedy now that was being reduced to politics.

I think, though, Miles, there is certainly lots and lots and lots of blame to go around. The mayor, of course, for his part, advising elderly people to be sure to grab an ax and be able to climb out on your roof and cut your way out. Obviously, not going to be feasible. Many of the people, it is believed, who perished in the subsequent flooding were elderly.

And we've seen entire neighborhoods where the bulk of the population is elderly. No way they're going to grab an ax and stand on their fridge and cut their way out of their house, and then lift themselves up and flag down a chopper as it flies overhead. That's just not going to happen.

Today, we're seeing a lot of blame, again, going around. And I think there's enough blame for everybody to share, frankly -- Miles.

WWBGD

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678