Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

No DUI for driving Zambonis

Get drunk and take the Zamboni for a ride because it's not a DUI according to NJ Judge.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2823786

N.J. judge: No such thing as Zamboni DWI Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. -- It's not drunken driving in New Jersey if it involves a Zamboni.

A judge ruled the four-ton ice rink-grooming machines aren't motor vehicles because they aren't useable on highways and can't carry passengers.

Zamboni operator John Peragallo had been charged with drunken driving in 2005 after a fellow employee at the Mennen Sports Arena in Morristown told police the machine was speeding and nearly crashed into the boards.

Police said Peragallo's blood alcohol level was 0.12 percent. A level of 0.08 is considered legally drunk in New Jersey.

Peragallo appealed, and Superior Court Judge Joseph Falcone on Monday overturned his license revocation and penalties.

"It's a vindication for my client," Peragallo attorney James Porfido said after the hearing. "It's the right decision."

Morris County Assistant Prosecutor Joseph D'Onofrio said no decision had been made on whether to appeal.

Peragallo, 64, testified at his trial that he did drink beer and vodka, but not until after he had groomed the ice. However, he told police he had a shot of Sambuca with his breakfast coffee and two Valium-pills before work.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: No DUI for driving Zambonis

Couldn't he have gotten drunk in public instead?

last year a guy was given a DUI for driving his mower while he was drunk, he was running over the neighbors flower bed but he was drunk what do you expect. I have heard of people getting them on 4 wheelers, boats and they give them to snowmobilers all the time and those vehicles are not legal on highways, so do those people all now get their DUI's removed from their records

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"whackthepack" wrote:
    last year a guy was given a DUI for driving his mower while he was drunk, he was running over the neighbors flower bed but he was drunk what do you expect. I have heard of people getting them on 4 wheelers, boats and they give them to snowmobilers all the time and those vehicles are not legal on highways, so do those people all now get their DUI's removed from their records
    No.

He didn't get a ticket for comiiting a public traffic violation because he wasn't on public roads or ground.

He was on private property, operating a vehicle that is not required to be registered.
    -Sno

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    No.

He didn't get a ticket for comiiting a public traffic violation because he wasn't on public roads or ground.

He was on private property, operating a vehicle that is not required to be registered.

Neither did the Zamboni driver he was in a building.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Ala. Woman on Horseback Charged With DUI

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/04/03/ap/strange/d8o9ba200.txt

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    No.

Isn't that what I just said?
    -Sno

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    No.

Isn't that what I just said?
    Ok I thought you were referring to the lawn guy but you were referring to the Zamboni driver.

But the lawn mower guy was on private property on a vehicle that doesn't have to be registered and it said in the article that it was because the Zamboni wasn't a vehicle that wasn't equipped or allowed to operate on a highway, but neither is the lawn mower and that guy got a DUI.

A judge ruled the four-ton ice rink-grooming machines aren't motor vehicles because they aren't useable on highways and can't carry passengers.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Newark is 10 minutes from me. I'm surprised I never heard about this.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

This DUI crap is getting out of hand!
    Snowmobiles, fourwheelers and all that I can understand, but a guy on a mower should not be ticketed for DUI, A woman on a horse should not be ticketed for a DUI.
    This is crap.
    Disorderly conduct or something maybe, but not a DUI!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast