Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    zimtwister is offline Coach

the NFL was better when......................

the teams trully hated each other-----------the fans drank whiskey and smoked cigars at the met-----------------------joey browner would kick jiggly--------------------the players made less money and fans could relate to them-------------players played hurt ie ronnie lot------------defensive backs did not get flagged for a hard,but legal, hit [browner,lott,,winfeild]------------qb's were cocky [mcmahon,tarkinton,namoth,umm favre]-----------sitting in your house during a snowsorm watching the vikings play in the EXACT same snow thats falling on you..................................
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: the NFL was better when......................

yeah makes them sound like down to earth blue collar guys trying to get a pay check.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Right on Zim!!! Thats the way it should be played..

Smoking cigars and drinking whiskey!! Sounds sweet to me Zimmy

DEVIKINGFAN! is offline Pro-Bowler

I love the game as it is today, I have many a fond memory of the "old days"- mud bowls and snowstorms- but I think the players are playing more with thier heads now which makes for a great game. Its more of a science, watching film, running spreadsheets to gauge opponents reactions, setting options on broken plays. I do think the players are detached or distant from the fans but they have to be. We live in a litigious society and they are prime targets. I can remember times in my youth seeing players out and about happy to be recognized, now they would be swamped with requests for prized autographs, offered questionable favors from golddiggers, or blocked by traffic enforcement officers.

I was living in the Chicago area back in the John wayne Gacey (sp) days and can remember Bobby Douglas signing cards at a local Woolco, there was no line and he would stop folks and ask them if they wanted one- you would not see that now a days, heck- there would be a line for Ryan Leaf. Why I dont know.....

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn t thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

de- i agree that they have to distance themselves from fans. and dont get me wrong- there is nothing that compares to the NFL. i still love it

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I guess I can't compare it to the "old days" zim. I wish I had been around for the old met stadium and Fran and Namath, but I'll take my NFL the way it is. It is still the greatest game on Earth and even though most of the players are overpaid primadonnas I don't care, I LOVE FOOTBALL!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I wasn't around in the "old days" but all the old timers tell me that the guys were tough back than and stuff. Most of them tell me that they were better and tougher back than but I don't think so. If you put an old team up against a team now they would get killed IMO. The players now are faster, stronger, etc.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i think our team can beat the 16-0 dolphins but i do think they will not go so easy with the smashmouth ball they play.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Norm Van Brocklin used to smoke cigs on the sideline during games. And he cussed like a sailor and most of it was pretty funny.
    In the 50's/60's/70's most players had second jobs. They could not afford to go the offseason without some kind of income.

the game is the same. i just like milliard telling eden prarie police "my arms are srtonger than your guns" now that was funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast