Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re: New York Post cartoon

I voted I don't know.

It's all about intent imo and I don't know how a well-known newspaper could lack the common sense to post a cartoon that basically calls a black person a monkey and think it's okay. If that was the intention of it, I hope they lose every damn subscriber they have but I don't think that's the case.

I think the story of the escaping chimp came at a time where many people think the stimulus package might have as well been written by chimps and that explains the cartoon. At least I like to hope so...

???
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Tad7" wrote:
    I voted I don't know.

It's all about intent imo and I don't know how a well-known newspaper could lack the common sense to post a cartoon that basically calls a black person a monkey and think it's okay. If that was the intention of it, I hope they lose every gol 'darnit subscriber they have but I don't think that's the case.

I think the story of the escaping chimp came at a time where many people think the stimulus package might have as well been written by chimps and that explains the cartoon. At least I like to hope so...

???
    i feel you but the only problem with that is that we have a black president and he pretty much has been on tv pushing this thing... IMO, it's too close for comfort and someone should have seen that and steered clear from it if anything but for the sheer fact that someone could have interpreted it the wrong way.. which they have...

kinda like that liberal mag that came out with him burining the flag dressed in a turbin with Osama hung over his mantle... pretty much the same thing!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    I voted I don't know.

It's all about intent imo and I don't know how a well-known newspaper could lack the common sense to post a cartoon that basically calls a black person a monkey and think it's okay. If that was the intention of it, I hope they lose every gol 'darnit subscriber they have but I don't think that's the case.

???
    i feel you but the only problem with that is that we have a black president and he pretty much has been on tv pushing this thing... IMO, it's too close for comfort and someone should have seen that and steered clear from it if anything but for the sheer fact that someone could have interpreted it the wrong way.. which they have...

kinda like that liberal mag that came out with him burining the flag dressed in a turbin with Osama hung over his mantle... pretty much the same thing!
    I had a pretty big dicussion on Facebook with several of my closest friends who all believed the cartoon to be racist. I don't believe it's racist but it has several ignorant undertones. I laughed at the cartoon and I can see where the cartoonist was going with the cartoon. If he is telling the truth and no malice was meant then the editor is foolish. To give you some back history on the NY Post, it has a history of pushing the proverbial envolope with its comments and is described by many as "The Blue Collar Caucasion Male's NY Times"

It was in poor taste if it was done by accident.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I don't see how anyone can think this cartoon is not racist, even if racist by accident.

The metaphor of a monkey (representing the president, the black president) being shot by white cops is just too strong of an image to not draw racist conclusions.

"There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

When I first saw this cartoon, I thought nothing of it...but when I read the caption, I was shocked that the Post's editor allowed this to be printed.

I am certainly not a fan of Sharpton or Jackson, but I think in this case they were justified in their protest against the Post. IMO, if there was even the slightest thought that this was questionable, it would be better not to print it.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"VikingMike" wrote:
    When I first saw this cartoon, I thought nothing of it...but when I read the caption, I was shocked that the Post's editor allowed this to be printed.

I am certainly not a fan of Sharpton or Jackson, but I think in this case they were justified in their protest against the Post. IMO, if there was even the slightest thought that this was questionable, it would be better not to print it.
    Me too... I wasn't offended at first, but when I re-read it and looked at the picture, how could someone NOT be offended by this?

The illustrator saying it's "Ridiculous" that people felt it was racist is completely idiotic... he should be fired simply for being so thick-headed.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12