Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

New York Post cartoon

There was a recent story locally of a 200 lb. chimp (a woman's pet) that went crazy and attacked the owner's friend, who is now in the hospital in critical condition. Cops shot the chimp dead.

This caricature was printed in Wednesday's NY Post. There has been a good deal of outrage and calls for protests at the Post offices. FYI, the Post is one of the major publications in NY with a circulation of over 600,000 daily. What do you think?

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: New York Post cartoon

I don't really think it's a racist attack.

I think most of the controversy came from the minds of the typical blowhards like Jackson and Sharpton.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

I can definitely see why people are getting upset but I don't think it was meant as anything racist...
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

It's not racist, people are just way too uptight

If Bush was still president and they did this no word would have been said.

The Late Night Shows have always made fun of past presidents but they don't touch this one and that is wrong.

This country is so messed up.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

The Late Night Shows have always made fun of past presidents but they don't touch this one and that is wrong.

Well there would've been nothing potentially racist about a dead monkey if Bush was still president.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

"Tad7" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:

Well there would've been nothing potentially racist about a dead monkey if Bush was still president.
    Then it should be racist to make fun of white people then too

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

That is kind of racist. I voted for no.
    We're bringing purple back.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:

I guarantee you if there was some story regarding a ghost haunting ppl on front pages, or ritz crackers were contaminated with a deadly salt and some black guy drew a similar picture there would be outrage and good reason for racist behavior..

The fact that we have a black president, our first, who took ownership of the stimulus legislation and the fact that a racial slur all too often regards black ppl as monkeys makes this cartoon disgusting...

Whether it was meant to be that way or not, i'm not sure, however, as a black person I was a little disgusted at this persons, and news papers attempt at comical satire...

With the historic racial relations in this country, anyone with a quarter of a brain should know not to go there in this regard... it's just awful...

The problem with this is that, ppl like AL Sharpton and Jesse Jackson cry wolf at every attempt to play the race card, that when legitimate issues such as this come up it makes their argument less effective and loose the significance....

This cartoon was in my opinion fucked up and it's a shame that other ppl don't see it that way...

Hell, make fun of the black president all you want to.. his ears, his liberalism, his walk,
    clothes, voice, the faces he makes, but to compare him to a monkey in my opinion is as tasteless as it is insensitive and dispicable...

That cartoon was some bullshit!!!...

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Oh, so that is the big controversial cartoon. I don't think it was meant to be racist, but obviously I can see how it could be implied. The editor for the Post may get a slap on the wrist for this one.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:

I guarantee you if there was some story regarding a ghost haunting ppl on front pages, or ritz crackers were contaminated with a deadly salt and some black guy drew a similar picture there would be outrage and good reason for racist behavior..

The fact that we have a black president, our first, who took ownership of the stimulus legislation and the fact that a racial slur all too often regards black ppl as monkeys makes this cartoon disgusting...

Whether it was meant to be that way or not, i'm not sure, however, as a black person I was a little disgusted at this persons, and news papers attempt at comical satire...

With the historic racial relations in this country, anyone with a quarter of a brain should know not to go there in this regard... it's just awful...

The problem with this is that, ppl like AL Sharpton and Jesse Jackson cry wolf at every attempt to play the race card, that when legitimate issues such as this come up it makes their argument less effective and loose the significance....

This cartoon was in my opinion fucked up and it's a shame that other ppl don't see it that way...

Hell, make fun of the black president all you want to.. his ears, his liberalism, his walk,
    clothes, voice, the faces he makes, but to compare him to a monkey in my opinion is as tasteless as it is insensitive and dispicable...

That cartoon was some bullshit!!!...
    Most white people would laugh at it or we wouldn't hear about it at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast