Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Pope

aceclown is offline Coach

Re: The New Pope

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Isn't the next pope (the one after Benedict XVI) supposed to be the LAST one before the end of the world???
    Nobody will ever know the final day. The focus on the book of revelation is not what christianity is about. Revelations is just a ploy to get the uneducated, self proclaimed christian to be religious in the wrong way.

Also, this new pope is taking a step backwards. He is old school, and is against progression in the church (as he has stated himself). He needs to look at history and realize that the catholic church has messed up before, and without progression, would be obsolite (we can all thank Martin Luther).

Chuch.

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    So will we call him Benedict, Cardinal or the Pope? 78, man he won't last long (not to be mean). How's the job search yourself shock?
    My understanding is that we now call him "Pope Benedict XVI"
    [img:81319149fb]http://img104.exs.cx/img104/1055/wiultmossfan4ax.gif[/img:81319149fb]

Del Rio Guest

"aceclown" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Isn't the next pope (the one after Benedict XVI) supposed to be the LAST one before the end of the world???
    Nobody will ever know the final day. The focus on the book of revelation is not what christianity is about. Revelations is just a ploy to get the uneducated, self proclaimed christian to be religious in the wrong way.

Also, this new pope is taking a step backwards. He is old school, and is against progression in the church (as he has stated himself). He needs to look at history and realize that the catholic church has messed up before, and without progression, would be obsolite (we can all thank Martin Luther).
    I'm not catholic, but it seems odd people wanted a pope that would bring the church up to date.

Doesn't God make the rules for the Catholic church?

I mean it sounds like some Catholics were hoping for the "hip" teenage babysitter that lets you watch scary movies and stay up till 10:00 instead of the one that enforces the rules your parents set. I'm just curious because I am not familar with the way things work regarding the Pope and his role in the Church in association with God.

Wyndy11 is offline Rookie

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Technically from what I've understood John Paul II was supposed to be the last. The Blessed Mother told those three girls (all of which have now died) that supposedly when he died the world as we know it would end.

revprodeji is offline Starter

"aceclown" wrote:
    [quote]"cajunvike" wrote:
    the luther thing is explained out of context here. Luther was dealt with mostly by individual bishops. He had good reasons for being upset at "practices" of certain church officials. many agree with him and those practices change. The doctrinal issues were the problem and the reason he was excommunicated. I do not wanna get into luther-judging (not luthern, but the man) He was a rather good theologian with the left-hand of God debate. But his exegesis was more Isegesis in context. he felt he had the authority to throw out many canon books(not just the apocryphia, but also revelations,jude, hebrew, and james)

Ratzinger wrote the document I sited in my last post, and helped develop the catholic ecumenical view. He is very motivated towards ecumenism. He is very opposed to modernism and secularism. Historically the place of christianity is to be counter-cultural towards the mainstream. I believe this is a great choice.
    www.prodeji.mychoices.biz

del rio..."some catholics" is far to generalized. Im sure some people wanted a more lax leader. But others wanted him for the ecumenical purpose and his direct against relativism and secularism.

btw, aceclown. The church reforms practices often. It admits and accepts that certain people have sinned in leadership. In doctrine and teaching it believes to be infallable and has not changed a doctrine it has.

Del Rio Guest

I do not know what percentage of Catholics wanted to me "Modernized" hense the use of the word some. I do know however it is enough of them that it is being disucssed and is all over the media. But I did not intend to group ALL catholics I understand there is a large portion that do not view it that way.

I will continue our discussion through private messages and I appreciate your initial response.

del rio..

the concept of the church is in doctrine it is the same as always. In practice it adapts to the needs. Not to match the culture. Honestly, only american catholics seem to be having the issues with attempting to modernize the church. And it is only lay-catholics. Most trained catholics could not be more happy with ratzinger. i would recommend if you have time to read the link I offered previously,.

Del Rio Guest

That makes sense.

I know a few people who are upset over the new pope, well I wouldn't say upset but a little dissapointed. But those friends of mine are very liberal and very american :grin:

Thanks for the link

what specifically are they upset about

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast