Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

New Orleans is flooding again.

The levees are giving way again, and New Orleans is flooding. The 9th street levee has breached in 3 places and the water is pouring into the streets of New Orleans again.

This is happening, and Rita is a long ways away!

This city can never be fully protected and at a projection of 250 Billion dollars to fix this city it should not be allowed to rebuild.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: New Orleans is flooding again.

"whackthepack" wrote:
    The levees are giving way again, and New Orleans is flooding. The 9th street levee has breached in 3 places and the water is pouring into the streets of New Orleans again.

This is happening, and Rita is a long ways away!

This city can never be fully protected and at a projection of 250 Billion dollars to fix this city it should not be allowed to rebuild.
    we should just make a new city instead...

SamDawg84 Guest

it kinda sounds like sin from final fantasy x... but sin is a monster thing

Prophet Guest

There is no doubt that the city should just be relocated. Historically it makes sense for being at the mouth of one of the four largest rivers in the world.

A city located on the floodplain of the mighty Mississippi which drains 70% of the water in the U.S. and is located below sea level with a series of levees and pumps that keeps it alive does not make for a good location for the city. Toss hurricanes in the mix and it is even more obvious.

We have a societal obligation to help out the people affected by Katrina, but the tax payers hard-earned cash should be invested in housing that is put in a better location.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

And the worst part has yet to arrive. Yikes!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

How much would it cost to "just move the city somewhere else?" I think it's going to cost billions anywhere they "move it" too.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

But where are you going to move it??

Sure, you can say move the team 20 miles north, but what happens to the farmer that owns that land??

What happens to all the real estate people and everyone else who owns land in New Orleans??

I think there is no doubt that the city should be moved if you're considering the safety of the people in the city, but will it happen??

I don't think so.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    But where are you going to move it??

Sure, you can say move the team 20 miles north, but what happens to the farmer that owns that land??

What happens to all the real estate people and everyone else who owns land in New Orleans??

I think there is no doubt that the city should be moved if you're considering the safety of the people in the city, but will it happen??

I don't think so.

The government expropriates (eminent domain) the land in New Orleans, paying the current owners fair market value for that land...those owners, in turn, purchase land north and west of New Orleans (land that is further away and that has a much higher elevation) to develop on.

The government also can develop new public housing even further out from the lowlying areas...while installing rapid and reliable public transportation to the new housing areas for the residents to use to get back into the city for work. Also the Port of Baton Rouge should be expanded (ala the Houston Ship Channel) to accommodate more commerce and businesses should relocate to Baton Rouge once this is accomplished. New Orleans then becomes a much smaller city, one that is more tourist related (ala Galveston). History has a tendency to repeat itself...witness the aftermath of the hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900...after the destruction was over, Texas built the Houston Ship Channel and all of the commerce that once used Galveston as a port (Galveston once was a HUGE port) then switched to Houston, which is what fueled (along with the oilfield industry) the growth of that once much smaller town.

The "farmer" makes a fortune selling his rural farmland as residential developments...then he retires and moves to Tahiti!!!

The federal government needs to step in and make it happen.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    The government expropriates (eminent domain)... The federal government needs to step in and make it happen.
    Ok Cajun, you have your stump speech ready. Now it's time to run for office.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

I will just pray and hope that the damage is minimal and we can get those people back to some kind of normalcy. They have been through enough.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast