Frostbite is offline Coach

New Energy Bill Passed/Incondecent Light Bulbs Out?

OK...I'm not going to read the entire 878 pages folks.....but I did find this interesting. Incondecent Light Bulbs will be out by 2012. That means florescent bulbs (Yea...those curly cue looking ones) and energy saving tubes will only be available for standard fixtures.

I hate the Government telling me what kind of Light Bulb I have to use!

Can't help but wonder if anyone has thought about the energy it takes to produce this type of bulb and the cost for disposal of them since they contain Mercury. You break one and you call out the Hazmat team to clean it up?

Bill also calling for all vehicles (Trucks SUV Vans included) to get 35 miles to the gallon by 2016. There goes your large vehicles I think.

Finally Bill allows for huge income alotments and tax breaks for farmers growing products for Ethanol production, with the Bill calling for 60 percent more Ethanol use by 2012.

This will be great news for the Trucking and Rail Industry since you can't pipe Ethanol.

Any Thoughts?

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: New Energy Bill Passed/Incondecent Light Bulbs Out?

"Frostbite" wrote:
    OK...I'm not going to read the entire 878 pages folks.....but I did find this interesting. Incondecent Light Bulbs will be out by 2012. That means florescent bulbs (Yea...those curly cue looking ones) and energy saving tubes will only be available for standard fixtures.

Can't help but wonder if anyone has thought about the energy it takes to produce this type of bulb and the cost for disposal of them since they contain Mercury. You break one and you call out the Hazmat team to clean it up?

Bill also calling for all vehicles (Trucks SUV Vans included) to get 35 miles to the gallon by 2016. There goes your large vehicles I think.

Finally Bill allows for huge income alotments and tax breaks for farmers growing products for Ethanol production, with the Bill calling for 60 percent more Ethanol use by 2012.

This will be great news for the Trucking and Rail Industry since you can't pipe Ethanol.

Any Thoughts?

Cheers!
    It won't be great news for the Trucking industry unless the trucks get 35 MPG.
    :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Frostbite" wrote:

Any Thoughts?

Cheers!

35 miles to the gallon is not some kind of crazy number that will ruin our way of life.
    Come on.
    The government hasn't required an increase in fuel efficiency increase for 20 years, and you're telling me the bright people who have voice activated mp3 players in cars now can't make a more fuel efficient vehicle?
    And believe it or not you can ship ethanol on rail tankers, and tanker trailers pulled by truck drivers(well the trucks not the drivers).

Asking for a more efficient energy use is not some sort of end to the world.
    Minnesota should have huge tax breaks for Wind Power, California the STATE is the world's 3rd largest producer of solar energy behind two countries.
    If California can do stuff like that, why not the rest of the country.
    Or I suppose we can just keep relying on foreign oil till it runs out.
    Thinking about the future is a good thing, it make have some small problems in the short term but changes like this are good for the long term.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:

Any Thoughts?

Cheers!

35 miles to the gallon is not some kind of crazy number that will ruin our way of life.
    Come on.
    The government hasn't required an increase in fuel efficiency increase for 20 years, and you're telling me the bright people who have voice activated mp3 players in cars now can't make a more fuel efficient vehicle?
    And believe it or not you can ship ethanol on rail tankers, and tanker trailers pulled by truck drivers(well the trucks not the drivers).

Asking for a more efficient energy use is not some sort of end to the world.
    Minnesota should have huge tax breaks for Wind Power, California the STATE is the world's 3rd largest producer of solar energy behind two countries.
    If California can do stuff like that, why not the rest of the country.
    Or I suppose we can just keep relying on foreign oil till it runs out.
    Thinking about the future is a good thing, it make have some small problems in the short term but changes like this are good for the long term.
    My sentiments exactly. This country used to willingly rise to the occasion when called on to act. When I was young they called it "Yankee Ingenuity". Noe they call it an invasion of freedom of choice lol.

Change is good. It keep the establishment from becoming too entrenched and keeps new ideas coming. I for one am excited to see us looking at different ways of doing things.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:

Any Thoughts?

Cheers!

Come on.
    Oh they can. It's your big oil companies that pay big bucks to keep them from doing so.

Although there are several cars that do get over 35. The GEO Metro comes to mind. My dad got somewhere close to 50 with his.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"