Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New computer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:New computer

just a quick look at bestbuy.com:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Desktop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%231 53;2+Duo+Processor/9698845.p?id=1218153428517&skuId=9698845

This one looks like a great deal. $580,gives you a core 2 duo, 2.9GHz processor, 8GB of Ram (More than you will ever need), 1TB harddrive (1000 GB), camera card reader, wireless N internet, gigabit wired internet, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Thats a powerful machine for not alot of money, Its a Dell.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Desktop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i3+Pr ocessor/9698918.p?id=1218153427813&skuId=9698918
    gateway, Core i3 processor, 2.9GHz, 6GB ram, 1TB drive, card reader. I personally like the dell setup better, but this is a pretty decent machine.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Neither one of those links worked for me, but I think I found them on bestbuy.com. If I could ask what is it about the Dell that you like more? Also do all computer now come with a recovery that will allow you to just get everything back to the factory settings?

Thanks Josdin

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: New computer

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    are you thinking laptop or desktop?

A few tips, Under no circumstances should you buy an Acer
    What is wrong with Acer? I have an Acer laptop and it works great. 3 years strong and no problems.

Blog Entries

Re: New computer

marstc09 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    are you thinking laptop or desktop?

A few tips, Under no circumstances should you buy an Acer
    What is wrong with Acer? I have an Acer laptop and it works great. 3 years strong and no problems.
    if yours has lasted, thats great. I've had one that died rather quickly, a few people I know had acers and all had motherbord problems. They use inferior hardware, which helps keep their costs low. They're kinda like the Kia's of computers, inexpensive product that does the job, but won't give you much extra.

Acer may have fixed their problems, but I know enough people with trouble Acers that I cannot recommend them to anybody.

Blog Entries

mnvikes61 wrote:
    Neither one of those links worked for me, but I think I found them on bestbuy.com. If I could ask what is it about the Dell that you like more? Also do all computer now come with a recovery that will allow you to just get everything back to the factory settings?
    The dell has a better processor, its a little bit older, but it was a higher-end processor, where the Intel i3 processor is a newer, entry-level processor. It has a wireless card, which isn't as important for a PC, but if you plan on moving your PC to say a 2nd storey, or even just anywhere and you don't want to run ethernet cable through the walls, its a bit more convenient. As well you got more RAM, all for about $30 more.

They're very similar though, but the Dell's I've have worked well for me. I had one die on me, but that was just a harddrive problem. Just went to Futureshop, bought a new harddrive and I was good to go again.

Also, yes, most comptuers now a days come with a recovery partition so you can restore your computer to factory state. The problem with that though, is if your hard drive ever dies, you lose the partition, and will have to order discs, which can be pricy.

Thanks for all the information again. I have been a bit busy so haven't been able to get to a best buy or even order a new computer over the net. I have looked at a few desktops on best buy and was wondering if you had any feelings towards HP desktops? I was looking at this computer and wanted some of your feedback: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Q uad-Core+Processor/9685029.p?id=1218146395806&skuId=9685029 Thanks again

Thanks Josdin

Blog Entries

HP/Compaq makes some good stuff. The specs look good, and the reviews seem good. If you like it, and the price works for you, I'd consider it.

Would you still recommend that Dell computer over this one or is there a big difference between them even?

Thanks Josdin

Blog Entries

The HP has what looks like a better processor, a quad-core vs. a dual core. For a similar price, the HP is a pretty good deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12