Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New computer

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

New computer

I am finally going to buy a new computer after having the same one for 5 years and the supplement disks died on me. So I was going to ask a few of the members on here on what a decent computer is now a days. I haven't messed around w/ Windows Vista or 7 very much or heard anything about them really. I never messed around with a Mac but have heard the best things about them routinely. I mainly use a computer to listen to music and play online games from time to time. Thanks for the advice

Thanks Josdin

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: New computer

Mac is spendy.

I got a Dell Vostro Business Model w/ 22" flat screen.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

HP is good enough.
    We're bringing purple back.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

are you thinking laptop or desktop?

A few tips, Under no circumstances should you buy an Acer or Sony Vaio. I work in an IT department, I've bought a few computers myself, I know a fair bit about what is out there. If you ahve any specific questions, feel free to ask.

what is your price range? I can probably come up with something decent if I had a price.

A few things you might want to know:
    Buy a PC, not Mac. Unless you want the headache of learning a new OS, and you feel good by spending twice the money for half the computer, buy a PC.

Buy Windows 7 Home Premium or better. Windows 7 has lots of neat features, most of which need the Aero interface to run, which is not available in Home Basic version. I run Win7, the company I work for is making the switch to Win7 now, its stable, fast and far better than XP

Buy 4GB of RAM minimum. Not because you NEED it, but it will make your comptuer faster and easier to use. RAM is dirt cheap now-adays, its easily the cheapest, most cost-effective upgrade you can do to your computer.

What kind of games do you play? Simple web-apps or graphically intense games? That will determine if you need a video card or not. Most on-board graphics nowadays can handle alot of what you need to do as long as you don't do alot of gaming, you can save anywhere from $40 to a few hundred bucks by not having a video card if you don't need it.

From the sounds of it, you don't need alot of power with your computer, but a dual core processor is almost the standard these days. When looking at processor specs, there are two things they will list, the clock rate and the cache size. For example, mine is "Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache" The clock rate is the 2.5GHz, which is essentially how quickly operations can be done on that processor. the 6MB Cache is the amount of space to store quick-access files to speed up memory write times.
    Basically, a fast clock rate won't give you the full potential without enough cache space.

Hard drive is another easy and cheap upgrade. If you listen to alot of music, do you have many movies on your computer? If so, you might want to invest in a bigger drive. 320GB is almost always the starting option on desktops, 500GB is a cheap upgrade from that.

However, before you make any purchase, check out your equipment such as printers, scanners, cameras, etc. Make sure drivers are available for the operating system you want. Lots of older hardware is incompatible with Windows Visa or 7, just because the venders choose not to support it.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Re:New computer

I completly agree with IBP's recommendations. I haven't done any 'puter shooping lately, so I'm not really up on the current stats, but as a former IT guy myself, I can confirm he's nailed all of the important general stuff.

One thing I will add is if you are looking toward a laptop, be sure that you get a wireless card with it. Most should have it included, but be sure to check. You'll want to be able to use it around town, and there are getting to be quite a lot of places that offer free wireless access nowadays.

And always be sure to make backups of your hard drive!
    You might consider some sort of external storage for this.

Good luck!

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Blog Entries

Traveling_Vike wrote:
    I completly agree with IBP's recommendations. I haven't done any 'puter shooping lately, so I'm not really up on the current stats, but as a former IT guy myself, I can confirm he's nailed all of the important general stuff.

One thing I will add is if you are looking toward a laptop, be sure that you get a wireless card with it. Most should have it included, but be sure to check. You'll want to be able to use it around town, and there are getting to be quite a lot of places that offer free wireless access nowadays.

And always be sure to make backups of your hard drive!
    You might consider some sort of external storage for this.

Good luck!
    good point with the wireless card, but 99.999% of all new laptops you buy should have an internal wireless card. I've never heard of one sold without one now a days.

Another thing worth noting, there are different types of wireless signals, the most common being "wireless g", but "wireless n" is starting to be used quite a bit. It would be worth a few extra bucks (usually doesn't cost much) to make sure your card supports wireless n. Alot of basic cards won't.

But if you find a great deal on a good computer that doesn't have wireless n, you'll be fine. any free wifi spot will be wireless g right now.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't recommend buying a mac unless you want to do some serious video editing, which it sounds like you don't. I bought my laptop last august for $500, and it still works great. It has a dual core processor, windows 7 (updated), 4 gb of ram, and a 320 gb hard drive.

Do you want a desk top or a laptop. That is a question I struggled with when deciding, because you can get so much more bang for your buck with a desktop, but you lose portability. I know losing portability doesn't seem like a HUGE deal in comparison to all the money you save, but it makes a HUGE difference.

For what you want, I'd suggest buying a laptop, as you won't need to spend much money for the performance your looking for.

My Laptop

This is an upgraded version of my laptop, and I gotta tell you, I was pleasantly surprised. It can run a surprising amount of games very well, and I'm sure it will run any game you want fine. It also has a huge hard drive, good ram, but a little below average battery life with 2.5 hours being the general time for it.

If you really want a computer for music, videos, and some gaming now and then, you can't go wrong with this one. They probably have it in best buy if you want to go try it out, but it's worked excellent for me.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Link was broken, too long. heres the url

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Laptop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Dual-Core+Processor+-+NightSky+Black/9732722.p?id=1218162980323&skuId=9732722
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Blog Entries

thats the tradeoff for a laptop. Portability is great. You can bring your pc while watching TV and surf the net or somethign. I always have my laptop open during vikings games, on the pp.o chat and having the nfl gamecenter up. however, PC's will be incredibly easier to upgrade if needed, they're cheaper and you can get a far better PC for the money you pay for a laptop. But with the way laptops are becoming much more affordable these days, you can get a great laptop for under $1000, and a pretty decent laptop even for under $600.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

First thanks for all the information, definitely a help since I was a bit confused about certain specs now a days. I am thinking of a desktop. I love the portability of a lap top but like to disconnect from the computer every once in awhile and doubt I would if I could have it in any room. I am willing to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-700 bucks. I could go a bit higher if it was a combo deal for a monitor etc but not if it was just for the desktop itself. I mainly play online poker and chess. A few others that are the freebies on Facebook like Wildones and Mindjolt.

Thanks Josdin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast