Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Need an oil change? Better read this!

At least they lube you before the stick it to you. :grin:

Seriously, changing oil is one of the simplist jobs to do & almost anyone can do it.

If you don't know how, have someone show you.

I do almost 100% of all my own repairs. In the last 25 years, the only things I've ever taken my car in for is new tires, wheel alignments & on one vehicle where I needed the heads replaced.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Oh do I have a story, I swear when I pulled up to this Jiffy Lube last summer for a "19.99" oil change they knew right away that they were going to take advantage of me. So I will admit I don't know a thing about cars and I'm not very agressive so when this guy told me all these things that needed to be done to my car I was thinking well I'll have to get it done sooner or later. Not knowing how much it would cost because he NEVER TOLD ME as he was working on it. So I go to pay and the guy tells me I owe 172 dollars!! Let me just say that seeing that I had no money at the time if I knew how much this was going to cost I would not have had extra stuff done. So at the time I just said 172.00??? And he said yea we did this and this and blah blah blah so I'm like ok whatever and I wrote the check. Went home and my dad was pissed saying they took advantage of me so he told me to call my bank and stop the check and that he would take care of it. He did take care of it and of course the technician there said he told me all the prices which he didn't. But for awhile I was getting calls saying that I had to pay this check from check companies and crap but Jiffy Lube ended up taking the blame for it and they dropped it giving me the refund of the extra stuff that was done. I will never ever go to Jiffy Lube again in my life!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    Oh do I have a story, I swear when I pulled up to this Jiffy Lube last summer for a "19.99" oil change they knew right away that they were going to take advantage of me. So I will admit I don't know a thing about cars and I'm not very agressive so when this guy told me all these things that needed to be done to my car I was thinking well I'll have to get it done sooner or later. Not knowing how much it would cost because he NEVER TOLD ME as he was working on it. So I go to pay and the guy tells me I owe 172 dollars!! Let me just say that seeing that I had no money at the time if I knew how much this was going to cost I would not have had extra stuff done. So at the time I just said 172.00??? And he said yea we did this and this and blah blah blah so I'm like ok whatever and I wrote the check. Went home and my dad was pissed saying they took advantage of me so he told me to call my bank and stop the check and that he would take care of it. He did take care of it and of course the technician there said he told me all the prices which he didn't. But for awhile I was getting calls saying that I had to pay this check from check companies and crap but Jiffy Lube ended up taking the blame for it and they dropped it giving me the refund of the extra stuff that was done. I will never ever go to Jiffy Lube again in my life!
    A lot of those contracts you sign have a "authorization to do additional work" clause in them.

I recommend reading the contract before signing it & crossing off that clause. Otherwise it's a contract to steal.

Also tell them you want the oil change & only the oil change, nothing more.

here comes the "bad guy"

well, as some may know , i am a mechanic.

well, for what it's worth, former mechanic. right now i am a store manager of a quick lube place (trying to stay away from the dreaded podium that seems to follow miss representing companies), and i do feel the pressure of maintaining a certain dollar per car quota.

quotas are a necesary business tool. unfortunatly every one is in business to turn a profit.

but that's where some managers and/or service advisors miss the mark. the necessary work is there , but ignorance in presentation is what gets people in trouble.

the real fail safe is in the manufactures recomendations. most customers want "the professionals opinion" .

" will my transmission fall apart if i don't service it?"

well , automatic transmissions in my opinion are the weak link in a cars longevity. so i tell them " maintaining your transmission every x amount of miles as your maintainance schedual says is your best way of avoiding major break downs.... is your transmission gonna break today or tomarrow? probably not but ignored long enough it could cause some problems."

but i seem to be the exception or is it the media only points out the bad operations?

the thing that really gets to me is the people that already have it in there mind that some 1 is out to rip them off. some may but not me , if your recomended by the people that made your car to change your fuel filter every 30,000 miles and your history shows that you have 150,000 miles and it's never been changed, i will go out of my way to educate you , so you know that eventually it could stop your car from running , possibly ruining your fuel pump.

lets see ..... $70 dollars ever year and a half while you wait , for your 20 minute oil change, get your fuel filter taken care of (or what ever the recomendation may be) .

or you could break down on your way to work ($100's in lost pay) , pay for a tow ($50), pay $100 for a dianostic , and then $75 for the fuel filter , and worst case senerio $300 for the gas tank to be dropped and fuel pump changed.

the best way to avoid getting ripped off is to educate your self , it makes it much easier to spot a wolf at the service counter.

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

"singersp" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    A lot of those contracts you sign have a "authorization to do additional work" clause in them.

I recommend reading the contract before signing it & crossing off that clause. Otherwise it's a contract to steal.

sounds like very poor comunication skills by the service advisor

before anything was touched on the car you should have signed a "revised estimate" which lists autherized work and a price. if they don't have a signed piece of paper with your signature with the cash out price on it " you don't have to pay it PERIOD"

if they give you any guff , grab your cell phone and get on the horn with the B-A-R. bet their tune changes real quick.

"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:

before anything was touched on the car you should have signed a "revised estimate" which lists autherized work and a price. if they don't have a signed piece of paper with your signature with the cash out price on it " you don't have to pay it PERIOD"

if they give you any guff , grab your cell phone and get on the horn with the B-A-R. bet their tune changes real quick.
    If you sign the work order that has the clause "Authorizing them to do additional work at your expense", you've already given then the power to do it.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I knew there was a reason I changed my own oil.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Wal-Mart is one of the worst places to get your oil or tires changed, becuase the are well know for not putting the oil plug in, or the lug nuts back. What's sad is sometimes they do it on purpose. They make you sign a pare when you come in that they are not responisble if something happens to your car after you leave. Unfortunately I know this crap because I worked at one for 3 years and the workers will admit this.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    no surprise there.
    I bet they see you roll on up in your fat Tahoe and loaded with leather, DVD, and $4,000 stereo system. Jump out in your $2000 suit with the Treo by your ear and the look on your face saying "I know nada about vehicles".

And then they rock you for more than you need!

:razz:

(I do my own repairs)
    Except I know how to fix my trucks if they happened to break. I just choose the convenience, and further I goto the dealer. Of course, I added to my deal when I bought it that they give me 3 years of free oil changes.

They did.

Noone hassles me for nothing.

"singersp" wrote:
    "fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:

If you sign the work order that has the clause "Authorizing them to do additional work at your expense", you've already given then the power to do it.

i'm limited to california law , but as i know it , it has to list additional services and a price. so the only way to be suprised at the cash register is to not read what your signing. if you signed for $25 you should only pay $25 , unless you autherized additional work and signed again. ( again itemizing work and price).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast