Thread: Need IT Help

WisconsinSucks is offline Asst. Coach

Need IT Help

We sell measurement systems.
    I currently had to reload a hard drive with Windows 2000 and drivers, etc. that failed for a customer.

Well, when I loaded it, I just used their company name for the computer name, assuming their IT guy would be smart enough to change it to whatever they would like.

When their IT guy hooked it up to their Domain which happens to be the same name as the computer, they now have conflicts trying to log in.

Their IT guy says we need to reload Windows 2000 to fix it but I don't feel like spending 4 more hours walking them over the phone to reinstall all the machine specific software.

Any idea to get in and change the computer name?

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Need IT Help

A dirty fix which I think works on 2000....unplug the machine from the network, log in to the local admin account, and change it there....

Otherwise maybe I would try logging into safe mode without networking to keep it separate...and try to do a computer name change there...

Articnv is offline Coach

the it
    guy si that stuopid. right click on my computer,
    click computer name tab and change the computer name.
    I
    atm
    cant rember were the hell my computer isaat
    in win2k

"Webby" wrote:

A dirty fix which I think works on 2000....unplug the machine from the network, log in to the local admin account, and change it there....

Otherwise maybe I would try logging into safe mode without networking to keep it separate...and try to do a computer name change there...
    Normally I would tell them to log in locally but it doesn't show up in the combo box as a choice.

I'm gonna kill that IT guy.
    He left for a meeting so my guy is sitting there waiting for him since like normal IT guys with a GOD complex, he didn't give him any of the passwords.

And yes to Articnv,
    he is stupid and changing the computer name is easy if you can get back in.

To change the owner of the machine or the organization go to:

For Windows NT/2000/XP navigate to this Registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

In this Registry key you will find the following values

RegisteredOwner
    RegisteredOrganization

Double click each of the values and you can input the correct information
    (you dont need to save anything just close "regedit" down)
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

Hit both the computer and the IT guy with a hammer. You'll feel loads better at any rate.
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

just need to change computer name on the domain.
    right click my computer, choose properties, once the properties window has opened look for the network identification tab, choose that, then look for the change button associated with "change the name of this computer or join to a domain".
    You can delete or add a character to the name and the duplicate error will go away.
    BTW, to avoid this happening again, while your re-imaging the hard drive, go into active directory on the domain and delete the computer name from the domain.
    then, when you enter windows set up, you can give the pc that same name without a duplicate name error.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

"Odin" wrote:
    Hit both the computer and the IT guy with a hammer. You'll feel loads better at any rate.

Thanks for the help guys.
    I appreciate it.
    I think I'll go with this recomendation though.