Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Nebraska state senator sues God

LINCOLN, Neb. - The defendant in a state senator's lawsuit is accused of causing untold death and horror and threatening to cause more still. He can be sued in Douglas County, the legislator claims, because He's everywhere.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers sued God last week. Angered by another lawsuit he considers frivolous, Chambers says he's trying to make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody.

Chambers says in his lawsuit that God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

The Omaha senator, who skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians, also says God has caused "fearsome floods ... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes."

He's seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty.

Chambers said the lawsuit was triggered by a federal suit filed against a judge who recently barred words such as "rape" and "victim" from a sexual assault trial.

The accuser in the criminal case, Tory Bowen, sued Lancaster District Judge Jeffre Cheuvront, claiming that he violated her free speech rights.

Chambers said Bowen's lawsuit is inappropriate because the Nebraska Supreme Court has already considered the case and federal courts follow the decisions of state supreme courts on state matters.

"This lawsuit having been filed and being of such questionable merit creates a circumstance where my lawsuit is appropriately filed," Chambers said. "People might call it frivolous but if they read it they'll see there are very serious issues I have raised."

U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf, in an order last week, expressed doubts about whether Bowen's lawsuit "has any legal basis whatsoever" and said sanctions may be imposed against Bowen and her attorneys if they fail to show cause for the lawsuit.

The Associated Press usually does not identify accusers in sex-assault cases, but Bowen has allowed her name to be used publicly because of the issue over the judge's language restrictions.

Cheuvront declared a mistrial in the sexual assault trial in July, saying pretrial publicity made it impossible to gather enough impartial jurors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070917/ap_on_fe_st/odd_suing_god;_ylt=AjIr86E12gmkBGwkVztBBywsQE4F

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Nebraska state senator sues God

My guess is he'll lose that case.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

If he does win, he's going to hsve to shot himself in the head to go collect the money...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Any guess as to what party the esteemed Mr. Chambers belongs to?
    Since the story decided not to mention that little tidbit of information.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    My guess is he'll lose that case.
    ...and I don't want to be anywhere near by when he does.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Turboe" wrote:
    [size=12pt]Senator Ernest W. Chambers [/size]

Ernest W. Chambers generally known as Ernie Chambers, (born July 10, 1937) is a Nebraska state legislator from Omaha, representing legislative District 11 in North Omaha. Chambers is considered one of the Legislature's most controversial and colorful members, known for his long filibuster speeches on the Legislature floor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of the Nebraska House of Representatives
    from the 11 district
    In office
    1970 – 2008
    Preceded by: George Althouse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Born: July 10, 1937 (1937-07-10) (age 70) Omaha, Nebraska
    Political party: None
    Residence: North Omaha, Nebraska
    Alma mater: Creighton University School of Law
    Religion: Atheist

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:

Ernest W. Chambers generally known as Ernie Chambers, (born July 10, 1937) is a Nebraska state legislator from Omaha, representing legislative District 11 in North Omaha. Chambers is considered one of the Legislature's most controversial and colorful members, known for his long filibuster speeches on the Legislature floor.

from the 11 district
    In office
    1970 – 2008

He looks like he'd make a good Black Jesus in a movie........

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

It would seem to me that winning this case would involve, at some point, proving that the defendant (God) actually exists, which I reckon might be difficult for a self-proclaimed Atheist, no matter how good a lawyer he is.

It's a shame though; I do like the sound of "permanent injunction against the Almighty."

cyviking is offline Starter Spectromancer: Gamer's Pack Champion

What circle of hell do you get sent to for actually sueing God?
    "Lurker" turned Poster
    2005-06 The Lost Vikings

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Turboe" wrote:

from the 11 district
    In office
    1970 – 2008

Let me rephrase that.
    I should have said any idea what party he is not a member of...

Because about 75 percent of the time in any AP or other major news service report you can tell the party of the person if they did something stupid because if they are a Republican it is mentioned in the first paragraph.
    If they are a Democrat or other obscure left leaning independent or other it might be mentioned way later in the story if at all.

I poo-pooed this when someone first told it to me, but paying attention to it has confirmed it for me.
    I now consider it like a sport to read any negative story about a politician and see just where if at all they mention party affiliation.

I am not trying to make a big deal about this I just find it funny, and another confirmation of what most people already know about the main stream media.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast