Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCAA Drama

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NCAA Drama

for sure some schools will be on strike.

Del Rio Guest

"magicci" wrote:
    cracker-cats i have never heard that before.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Don't forget, there's the Arizona State Sundevil. Has he gotten any panties in a twist?

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

The interesting thing that wasn't mentioned in the articles is that FLorida State PAYS the Seminole tribe for licencing fees every year. Pretty decent bucks, too.

A native American recently published a neat editorial in the paper (just before this NCAA dealie came out) that he wasn't offended by many nicknames. Obviously, Redskins and Chief Wahoo bugged him (understandable), but nicknames that held Native Americans as a source of pride was kind of a sad thing to lose. He was referring in particular to the Marquette's disbanding of "Warriors".

I hope he makes his voice heard again on this matter. I understand about the cartoonish mascots and racial slur nicknames, but he seemed very much like a voice of reason in mending fences between two cultures.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Del Rio Guest

Yeah Utah Pays the Utes. There was an article in the paper about how the Utes were honored to have the school use their tribe name. There are a lot of Ute indians that go there, especially into the medical program.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    The interesting thing that wasn't mentioned in the articles is that FLorida State PAYS the Seminole tribe for licencing fees every year. Pretty decent bucks, too.

A native American recently published a neat editorial in the paper (just before this NCAA dealie came out) that he wasn't offended by many nicknames. Obviously, Redskins and Chief Wahoo bugged him (understandable), but nicknames that held Native Americans as a source of pride was kind of a sad thing to lose. He was referring in particular to the Marquette's disbanding of "Warriors".

I hope he makes his voice heard again on this matter. I understand about the cartoonish mascots and racial slur nicknames, but he seemed very much like a voice of reason in mending fences between two cultures.
    Was that in the Journal Sentinal? Do you know if the article is on-line? I'd be interested in reading it.

6-KINGS Guest

What a crock of Shyzzen!

I am Irish and love the fact that Notre Dame uses it.
    It is an honour(extra u for Anglo)

Maybe I will hear on the ND loud speaker
    "And here are the White Anglo Celtic Saxon Catholics"

And take down touchdown Jesus. That is offensive.

Geez the political speech police need to give it a rest.
    Need to put these people on an island of their own.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Don't we have real issues to deal with in America anymore?
    I guess not.

6-KINGS

HerdDaVikes is offline Rookie

6kings, you beat me to the punch, i have been saying for years that notre dame is getting away with they same thing but worse. whenever someone would bring up that the seminoles name is derogatory toawrds native americans i point out that "fighting irish" is more prejudicial than seminoles. ND is making the blanket statement that all irish people get drunk anf fight. Now, I am irish and it doesnt offend me but I think that ND's name is more offensive than FSU.

[Warning: Long-winded post]

I think there are a number of variables in this equation. First, this is an issue that deserves attention. No ethnic group has been more vastly exploited in this country than its original inhabitants; therefore, we need to be sensitive to the feelings of the individuals affected by these team names. That being said there are obviously multiple sides to this subject. If the Ute tribe is okay with their name being used as a mascot then no other group should have the right to say anything about it.

Now that the NCAA has opened this particular can of worms they need to do it justice and find out which teams, cheers, mascots, etc. are considered inflammatory by the individual groups represented. In the case of general names (i.e. - Arkansas State Indians) there needs be some sort of consensus amoung representatives of all native american tribes. This ethnic group is one of the most well tracked in the nation because of the benefits (which they deserve) that are given to them so getting a consensus shouldn't be that difficult. I think that the NCAA just saying that all Native American team names are insulting is equally as ignorant as saying that none of them are. Lastly, if the NCAA believes in this so much then why only are they worried about the post season? Why not just get rid of it altogether?

It seems to me the NCAA could have done this right but instead just made things worse.

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

6-KINGS Guest

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    [Warning: Long-winded post]

I think there are a number of variables in this equation. First, this is an issue that deserves attention. No ethnic group has been more vastly exploited in this country than its original inhabitants; therefore, we need to be sensitive to the feelings of the individuals affected by these team names. That being said there are obviously multiple sides to this subject. If the Ute tribe is okay with their name being used as a mascot then no other group should have the right to say anything about it.

Now that the NCAA has opened this particular can of worms they need to do it justice and find out which teams, cheers, mascots, etc. are considered inflammatory by the individual groups represented. In the case of general names (i.e. - Arkansas State Indians) there needs be some sort of consensus amoung representatives of all native american tribes. This ethnic group is one of the most well tracked in the nation because of the benefits (which they deserve) that are given to them so getting a consensus shouldn't be that difficult. I think that the NCAA just saying that all Native American team names are insulting is equally as ignorant as saying that none of them are. Lastly, if the NCAA believes in this so much then why only are they worried about the post season? Why not just get rid of it altogether?

It seems to me the NCAA could have done this right but instead just made things worse.

-DD
    And ALL ethnic groups need to quit being such panty waisted wussies.
    Grow up! It is a mascot for GODS sake. Not like they make fun of it, hell they whorship them, get tattos of them ,paint themselves, their cars, have flags, watches, shirts, hats that they wear in HONOR of their mascot.
    It becomes part of their heritage, they embrace it as their own.
    Can there be a bigger compliment?

But hell no everybody thinks they are so special and have special needs and feeling that must be obeyed.
    If this keep up we will have nothing left.
    Unless we get 300 million people to approve it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12