Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Drama

Del Rio Guest

NCAA Drama

I haven't seen a post on this yet, if there is then all I can say is

But I guess the NCAA made a new rule about having names of Indians in your School. They pretty much banned it. Well not really they said if you have an American Indian name you cannot host or participate in the NCAA post season.

Football is ok, but NCAA hosted events are screwed. Basketball, Baseball, Yoga Championships.

The University of Utah Utes even have a letter signed by the Ute trive giving permission, but no go.

Any thoughts on this at all?

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NCAA Drama

i see where the NCAA is coming from on this, but how about the NCAA does this. Schools could use the native american's name as long as the tribe gives it's consent. If not then too bad. Or just change the offensive ones. but i have a question, if one of those schools enter the post season can they change the name just for the post season or are they banned for life?

BigPep11 is offline Rookie

I think its HORSE SH*T! I think it would be a compliment to have a team named after your race not an insult. And to say a team can't be in the postseason because of it is ridiculous. The hard work of the players is down the drain just because of a name that THEY didn't even choose. I'm waiting for the day that some team names themselves the caucasians.

and about the san diego aztecs? will they be in trouble to because aztecs are native americans as well.

Del Rio Guest

Yes they are screwed.

Florida State is going to sue.

BigPep11 is offline Rookie

I just think the whole thing sucks, people in this country today just look for something to complain about. It's the native americans now but next the animal activists won't want any animal names....

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

That's not the same thing that I heard. What I had heard was that native american based mascots weren't allowed at NCAA post season games. The teams are allowed, they just can't bring the mascot. This is big news in Illinios, because of U of I's mascot, Chief Illiniwik.

As far as the whole native american based team name debate goes, I'm fine with most of them. Teams such as the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Seminoles, etc. are choosing those names based on segments of a population which they believe have positive qualities that they want their team to represent. It's similar in style to the Cowboys, 49ers, Vikings, or Texans. That seems an act of respect to me. The team I have a problem with is the Redskins. That was originally a racial slur, and is equivalent to having a team 100 years from now called (and please pardon my language) the townville niggers. I don't think the NFL will ever make them change the name, but it would be nice.

On a side note, I'm not a feline, but I am white. Should I be offended by this [team]?

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

We had better get consent from the Norse warriors... the NFL is next!

cracker-cats i have never heard that before.

Del Rio Guest

As far as I know it is not just the mascot, it is the name, the jersey, the logo all of it. It's all over the news here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast