Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

NBA Collective Bargaining

I know there was a thread about this topic a while back, but it's official now, so I guess that warrants a new one!

Anyways, the NBA came out with their new collective bargaining agreement yesterday, avoiding a labor dispute and a lockout (good for them). The main issue people are talking about though is the new rule that you must be 19 AND be out of high school for a year to be eligible for the draft. Now, I think this is a good idea, because it will help college basketball and it will help a lot of players who would have jumped straight to the pros develop before they make that step, making both the NCAA and the NBA stronger leagues. Some people are saying it's racist, I don't think so. The reason they're saying that is because it's going to affect mostly black players. But that's just common sense! 76% of the league is black, so therefore it's going to affect them the most. It's not racist, it's just a rule.

If anything they could claim its socio-economically biased, because it's going to affect the kids coming from poorer areas of the country, because they won't be able to make millions right off the bat like they would if they jumped straight into the league, but that's not racism it's just dollars and cents.

Does everyone agree? Disagree?

Del Rio Guest

Re: NBA Collective Bargaining

Well I'll tell you this much.

I do not for one minute believe that Stern proposed this with the intent for the athletes to go to college.

One year in a University is not going to do anything really IMO. Acedemic wise it's generals nothing more then highschool refreshers. For the teams themselves having a great kid for one year isn't much of anything to shoot for if you know he is going to ditch your team in the dust next season.

This move was done to promote the Intermediate league that Stern has interest in. And no one even cares about. He is wanting the High school phenoms to join the league for one season so people will tune in to watch a guy like Lebron, and he is hoping it will spark interest in that league.

I like the idea of an age limitation. And I am not against saying you need a bachelor degree before I hire you. I don't find it racist, I don't find it as unfair or discrimination.

But this 19 years old thing reaks of ill intent.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Well I'll tell you this much.

I do not for one minute believe that Stern proposed this with the intent for the athletes to go to college.

One year in a University is not going to do anything really IMO. Acedemic wise it's generals nothing more then highschool refreshers. For the teams themselves having a great kid for one year isn't much of anything to shoot for if you know he is going to ditch your team in the dust next season.

This move was done to promote the Intermediate league that Stern has interest in. And no one even cares about. He is wanting the High school phenoms to join the league for one season so people will tune in to watch a guy like Lebron, and he is hoping it will spark interest in that league.

I like the idea of an age limitation. And I am not against saying you need a bachelor degree before I hire you. I don't find it racist, I don't find it as unfair or discrimination.

But this 19 years old thing reaks of ill intent.
    There's no doubt that Stern was looking out for his own interests, he doesn't really care about the players, he just wants the leauge to be successful so he can make $.

As far as the colleges only having a kid for one year, I don't think they care. I think that most teams would be happy to have a Carmelo Anthony type situation where a guy comes in, leads the team to a title, and then leaves. The schools don't care as long as they win. I gaurantee you can ask pretty much any school in the country and ask them if they would have liked to have LeBron for one year before he entered the pros, and they'd say yes in a heartbeat. The only place you run into trouble with that type of thinking is when you think about the other kids. These one year wonders are going to come in and take scholarships from kids that would have attended for all 4 years and contributed all 4 years. I don't really think its fair to them, but that's not Stern's concern, it's the NCAAs.

Del Rio Guest

Yeah exactly. It places a burden on the NCAA while he is trying to line his pockets even fatter.

He should just say I'm a greedy bitch and this is the way I want it. Instead of trying to play it off as a service to the kids.

You want them to get schooled in the game and for the future make em graduate.