Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Navy SEALs free Captain held by pirates

[size=13pt]US sea capt. freed from pirates in swift firefight[/size]

By ELIZABETH A. KENNEDY and LARA JAKES
    Associated Press Writers

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) -- U.S. Navy snipers opened fire and killed three pirates holding an American captain at gunpoint, delivering the skipper unharmed and ending a five-day high-seas hostage drama on Easter Sunday.
    Phillips, 53, of Underhill, Vermont, was not hurt in several minutes of gunfire and the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet said he was resting comfortably on a U.S. warship after receiving a medical exam.

"I'm just the byline. The real heroes are the Navy, the Seals, those who have brought me home," Phillips said by phone
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Re: Navy SEALs free Captain held by pirates

Good to hear! Those snipers did a hell of a job take out the pirates before they could harm the captain.

Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler

Its about time!
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

Jilly is offline Coach

I was wondering why this didn't happen earlier but I just saw on TV that this was an enclosed boat. Not sure how they were able to pull it off without getting the Captain
    injured but it was a good job by the Navy SEALS.

SIUviking is offline Starter

There is scary stuff going on in those straits. Obama's comment was interesting because previously the US was one of the least active in pirate defense.

I just read a book on the situation not too long ago and recommend anyone who is interested in this stuff check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Waters-Modern-Piracy-Terror/dp/0452284139
    "If you want me to go out there and get you 4 yards, I ll get you 4 yards. If you want me to go out there and get 6 yards, I ll go out there and get you 4 yards" -LeRoy Hoard Former Viking

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

WOW,
    just imagine, laying on your belly on the back of a ship. In rough waters, towing a survival boat.
    I'de have to guess that the boat being towed was at least 3 to 4 hundred yards behind the ship itself.
    Then these 3 snipers take out 3 pirates, simotaniously.....Now thats some dam good marksmen there my friends...

Great job Navy Seals, and great job by the Captain, for watching over his crew first.
    Then dealing with the pirates in a brave manner..

I salute you all.

VN

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Three shots fired at the same time in the dark, off a rolling vessel, three kills, by some highly trained Navy Seals, hats off to the bravery of Captain Phillips, and those Seals. Every country must protect their interest, the international shipping lanes, as we were just trying to feed the impoverished over there in Samalia, and Kenya. Samalia is a very trouble'd country, lawless, and ruled by armed militia's. Another terroristic nation that needs to be dealt with.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

3 shots at the same time in the dark on a ship that is moving!!!???? that is the sickest Sh*t i've ever heard. damm i wish i was a sniper!!!!!!!

Incredible!
    The elite!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NordicNed" wrote:
    WOW,
    just imagine, laying on your belly on the back of a ship. In rough waters, towing a survival boat.
    I'de have to guess that the boat being towed was at least 3 to 4 hundred yards behind the ship itself.
    Then these 3 snipers take out 3 pirates, simotaniously.....Now thats some dam good marksmen there my friends...

Great job Navy Seals, and great job by the Captain, for watching over his crew first.
    Then dealing with the pirates in a brave manner..

I salute you all.

VN
    Sorry Ned. The tow rope was 27 yards long. The shot was about 30 yards. First shot would be the man holding the gun on the captain. that would be the signal to the other two snipers. Shots were likely, virtually simultaneous.
    Great work in choppy seas, by some of americas finest.
    GOD bless the Seals.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast