Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Native American Fight to grow Hemp

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    They don't need hemp, they have payotee.
    It's hard to make a good hemp rope when you are high on Payotee.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

When i went in for my high school guitar exam my teacher was eating a huge bag of hemp seeds. He then rambled on about how good hemp seeds are for you. And gave me a handful and asked me if i felt like a 95% is a fair mark. I obliged although he probably would have gave me 100 if I asked him too.

The hemp seeds were pretty good though tasted a lot like sunflower seeds. He also told me that hemp could replace meat in your' diet if you're that into it.

Coolest teacher ever.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Hemp is such a renuable resource, it's too bad that we don't utilize it for more things like paper, and just keep cutting down our forest which destoy's whole eco-systems. Although forest management has improved, you can't deny that hemp has many uses.
    It's a fact that there are more trees in the US now than ever before.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

Hemp is such a renuable resource, it's too bad that we don't utilize it for more things like paper, and just keep cutting down our forest which destoy's whole eco-systems. Although forest management has improved, you can't deny that hemp has many uses.
    It's a fact that there are more trees in the US now than ever before.
    I find that hard to believe. First, it's hard to believe because in the last ~5 years there have been massive forest fires in the southwest that have removed a huge number of trees. Plus, the last 5 years has seen aggressive tree thinning in the SW to prevent more fires. Wouldn't this mean that there should be more trees 6 years ago than there are today?

Second, I don't think you can actually prove that "there are more trees now in the US than ever before." In order to do this, you would have to have a record for tree population since North America split off from pangea millions of years ago....or since

the 3rd day of creation 4000+ years ago. This data simply doesn't exist -- and there's huge problems with estimating it from pollen samples -- so I don't think such a claim can really be made.

What source can you share that suggests otherwise - I'm genuinely curious.

Having seen deforestation maps of central and south america recently, it sure doesn't look like there are more trees now than there were before,,, of course I have never even heard of a 're-forestation' map.. so maybe.. i dunno... but the point is good either way; hemp grows so fast and is such a strong, useful fiber, that many trees would not need to be cut down if it were used to its full potential... and as far as comparing it to peyote, you don't have to chew too many peyote buttons before you are seeing color like you have never seen before whereas with the low THC content in hemp, you would die of smoke inhalation before getting high off of it. The Oglala tribe was simply trying to grow a viable cash crop in an area where unemployment was more than 65%.
    Have I ever told you what an outstanding humanitarian I am?

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"ColoradoViking" wrote:
    "digital420" wrote:
    because there is no test for the content % of THC inside maryjane plants.. it is impossible to determine if those 50 plants over there are hemp, or just low grade
    maryjowanna.

growing hemp has soooo many +'s and so very few -'s that it's suprising they arn't allowing it now. the trick is that the feds can't just give up the war on drugs.. even if we have a multi front with the war on terror.. so they can't just allow for anyone to grow, as there might be a few non hempfull sticky buddy plants in the mix..

ohh.. just legalize it all.. tax it and let them grow what they wish!!

DiGiTaL
    "THC is present in all Cannabis plant varieties to some extent. In varieties grown for use as a drug, where males are removed in order to prevent fertilization, THC levels can reach as high as 20-30% in the unfertilized females which are given ample room to flower.

In hemp varieties grown for seed or fibre use, the plants are grown very closely together and a very dense biomass product is obtained, rich in oil from the seeds and fibre from the stalks and low in THC content. EU and Canadian regulations limit THC content to 0.3% in industrial hemp." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#THC_in_hemp

Also, the fact that virtually all marijuana now sold is from female plants that have had the boys pulled to reduce seeds and increase THC, you can see why the quote in my original post holds true which is that marijuana among hemp is quickly diluted so as to become useless
    to someone wanting to get high within one or two generations. Not to mention the fact that the hemp gets so much taller than the marijuana, the m-j will not thrive or will die from lack of sun.
    I have to agree with your research coloradoV!! but don't think that they will just die.. or be reduced to nothing.. the un-pollenated females do produce more of a thc level.. but 30% is WAY up there.. and probably more hydroponic then outdoor growth..

I wasnt so much saying that you would have year after year of thc / hemp based plants all together.. but with the thc plants having a quicker lifecycle, you would be able to throw in quiete a few non hemped based plants for personal enjoyment.. or cash crop outlook.

what i was more trying to point out is there is no way to say point a scanner toward a plant and know it's thc content value.. so it would put a lot of.. trust on the gov side to allow farmers/indians/global concious/anyone who wants to grow hemp

as i am all for this i would luv to see it happen.. but doubt it will until maryjowanna is legalized, taxed and controlled.. then.. grow it.. smoke it.. wear it.. produce 1000's things with it!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12