Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Almost time for Nascar!!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I am looking forward to it too!
    NASCAR is a great offseason sport for me!

BTW Big Daddy, the Winston Cup was renamed Nextel Cup a few years ago when the sponsor changed... but the basic difference between the two series is the setup on the cars.
    The big one is the carburetor difference (Busch uses a smaller one, which makes for less horse power).
    There are other difference too, like wheel base and minimum weight.

What it really comes down to is the cars are set up differently and perform differently.
    Nextel is generally a faster, but more difficult, set up than Busch.
    Drivers can race in either or both, and since the Busch race tends to be on the same track that the Nextel race will be held the next day, any Nextel Drivers use it as a chance to get used to the track.

Also, there is a lot more money in Nextel.
    The sponsor sizes, and the purses, are a lot bigger, so it attracts the best drivers.
    Somehow I knew that but just was think thinking Winston and not Nextel, but those shows how much I pay attention as well. The sad thing is that my experience with NASCAR has been the stereotypical Redneck, hillbilly fan.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I used to hate it as well.
    "nothing exciting about watching some cars drive around in a circle"
    But after watching some races, picking a driver and learning that there is really a lot of skill and strategy in a race I got sucked in and have even been to my first race.

I totally expected to see a ton of hillbillies at the race, but actually I only saw 1 mullet.
    Nascar also costs a lot of money.
    Tickets are much more expensive than other sports but you usually will get a ticket to the Craftsman, Busch, and Nextel races.

The fans are crazy.
    They take their drivers as seriously as we take the Vikings.
    There are flags flying every where, tons of driver merchandise at almost every site and people tailgate for HOURS AND HOURS.
    I think if some of you actually watched it and learned all there is behind the sport that some of you may not be as critical of it.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Is it wrong to turn it on just to see someone wreck.
    I don't want to see anyone get hurt, I just want to see something break.

11 more days!!!!
    WooooHoooo

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

What's Nascar?
    (Snow you are a smartjigglybutt)

Cool on the TV!
    That is awesome..

I tell you what, that Nascar DTV pass looks really cool.
    If you are into Nascar that is.
    I am just not at that point, but the concept looks cool.
    You get to hear the communication from drivers to the crew and such.
    That would be the equivalent to having mics in the players helmets and being allowed to hear the QB and HC communication.

Have fun with the season and the HDTV!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

NASCAR Driver Thinking of Driving Really, Really Fast in Hopes of Winning Daytona 500
    sportspickle.com
    15 Feb. 2007

Buddy Smecker, a stock car driver make his third career Daytona 500 start this Sunday, says he has thought up a revolutionary strategy he thinks might lead him to the checkered flag in NASCAR’s biggest race.

“I was in the garage the other day and all of a sudden it hit me,” said Smecker. “I’m going to drive as fast as I can almost the entire race. Just floor it, you know? I’m going to have the pedal all the way down the whole time and then let the chips fall where they may – although I don’t see any way this can fail.”

Those on Smecker’s pit crew think their man has hit upon something big.

“I think most drivers overthink things,” said Bobby Rae Riley, Smecker’s crew chief. “They think all about drafting and starting position and junk like that. But in all of that no one has though of the most obvious way to race of them all – floor it and go really, really, really fast. After that it’s just making sure you remember to turn left every quarter mile.”

Smecker hoped that his cutting-edge approach to NASCAR racing wouldn’t get out before Sunday’s race, but the garage rumor mill has already spread the news throughout Daytona.

“Hmm. That’s actually a fantastic idea,” said Jeff Gordon, upon hearing Smecker’s plan. “Go really, really, really fast at all times. Just floor it and go faster than the other cars. And, also, turn left at the appropriate times. I like it. I really like it. I might think about doing some of that on Sunday myself.”

Fellow driver Carl Edwards says Smecker’s approach is not his style, but admits it could be a difficult strategy to overcome.

“I always like to be mindful of gas mileage and of sticking in the middle of the middle of the pack so I can draft and make my move at the end of the race, but that doesn’t always work,” said Edwards. “And now I understand why cars pass me sometimes and there’s nothing I can do about it. It must be because they have that pedal thing pushed all the way down to the floor.”

And while most of Smecker’s NASCAR brethren believe he has hit upon an ingenious plan, others are not so sure.

“Sure, I guess pushing the pedal all the way down to the floor will make him go way faster than everyone else,” said Jimmie Johnson. “But what is going to happen by the 10th lap or so when he is a mile ahead and trying to lap everyone but can’t get past the huge group of us because we’re all going much slower due to the fact that we’re practicing the art of racing instead of just going faster than everyone else? What then? He’ll be stuck back there for the final 490 laps, banging into the last place guy’s back bumper. That’s no way to win a Daytona 500.”
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Nascar teams are big cheaters, steroids should be allowed in other sports.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2765503

I hate that they have the Twin 120 during the day.
    This determines the line up for Daytona spots 3-30.
    They don't air it again until like 9:00 and that is way past my bedtime.

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

Yea!!! Time to find my John Deere hat...put on my overhauls and wife beater......and dust off the old banjo....Yeeeehaww..... ;D

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    I hate that they have the Twin 120 during the day.
    This determines the line up for Daytona spots 3-30.
    They don't air it again until like 9:00 and that is way past my bedtime.
    I am actually watching it online through Race View.
    It kinda looks like a video game, it is kinda choppy, but it is better than nothing.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast