Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,588

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    lol... that is a perfectly acceptable reason to watch Nascar.

  2. #12
    patistheman's Avatar
    patistheman is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    231

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    They said that the COT was an attempt at evening competition but some teams got to test with it alot more than others.
    Was this just because they have the money and can do all the testing?
    I dont see how your evening the playing field when the big teams still got the most testing done.

    The anouncers said it will not even the playing field and said it was just kind of an excuse to bring in the COT.

  3. #13
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Is this the wrong reason to want to watch NASCAR?

    Considering that the first car shown in that picture was being driven by a driver who later died in an accident (not in that same race - that's Talladega) I would have to say, "Yes, that's the wrong reason."

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #14
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    "patistheman" wrote:
    The anouncers said it will not even the playing field and said it was just kind of an excuse to bring in the COT.
    What announcers are you talking about?
    I watched every second of the Bristol race this past weekend and that is exactly OPPOSITE of what they were saying.

    There are several major reasons why NASCAR is mandating the COT:

    1.
    Driver safety.
    Many innovations have been made to the COT to increase



    driver safety, not the least of which is the movement of the driver in the car



    away from the left-side "door" and towards the middle.
    There are also improved



    crash panels, fuel cells and other innovations aimed at keeping the drivers



    alive when accidents happen.


    2.
    Cost.
    The COT, as it is a common template to be used at ALL tracks, will



    eliminate the need for separate chassis for different tracks.
    The same car



    can, and will, be raced at short-tracks like Bristol and big tracks like Daytona.


    3.
    Reduction of aero "pushes" and other effects which eliminate competition.



    With the big boxy COT, large holes will be punched in the air, allowing for


    more drafting (especially at Daytona and Talladega) which will also allow


    drivers NOT to be 100% on the gas the whole way around.



    4.
    Increased competition - and less advantage to the Super Teams!
    Again,


    the common template actually decreases the need for tons of testing, as


    there are fewer areas where the teams can dink around with the aero


    package.

    As you can probably tell, I'm a HUGE fan of the idea of the COT.
    I can't wait until they get it on the big tracks.
    That's when you'll see a return of the drivers winning races with driving skill and less with how well they tested.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #15
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    If the CoT will actually improve driver safety I am all for it.
    But it may be too much change too fast.
    Part of me wonders why they couldn't introduce it in stages instead of all at once.

    But in the end it didn't matter form my driver... Looks like Kahne can't catch a break no matter what kind of car he is driving.
    lol.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #16
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    If the CoT will actually improve driver safety I am all for it.
    But it may be too much change too fast.
    Part of me wonders why they couldn't introduce it in stages instead of all at once.

    But in the end it didn't matter form my driver... Looks like Kahne can't catch a break no matter what kind of car he is driving.
    lol.
    NP - it is being introduced in stages - it's not being used at every race this season.
    Your concern is a big part of the reason why they waited until Bristol to introduce the car this season.
    The current plan is also not to use it in all races until 2009, although there are rumors that might get moved up to 2008 because NASCAR is happy with how the program is going so far.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #17
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    If the CoT will actually improve driver safety I am all for it.
    But it may be too much change too fast.
    Part of me wonders why they couldn't introduce it in stages instead of all at once.

    But in the end it didn't matter form my driver... Looks like Kahne can't catch a break no matter what kind of car he is driving.
    lol.
    NP - it is being introduced in stages - it's not being used at every race this season.
    Your concern is a big part of the reason why they waited until Bristol to introduce the car this season.
    The current plan is also not to use it in all races until 2009, although there are rumors that might get moved up to 2008 because NASCAR is happy with how the program is going so far.

    =Z=
    Oh I know that it isn't being used in every race, what I meant was do all the changes on the CoT have to be included at the same time? But when I sit down and think about it, I guess the drivers would probably rather have to learn how to drive the new car once, instead of learning how to drive several iterations of the car over several years.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #18
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Is this the wrong reason to want to watch NASCAR?

    Considering that the first car shown in that picture was being driven by a driver who later died in an accident (not in that same race - that's Talladega) I would have to say, "Yes, that's the wrong reason."

    =Z=
    picky picky picky

  9. #19
    triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,588

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/racing/04/10/bc.car.waltrip.accident.ap/index.html

    Michael Waltrip just keeps digging himself a deeper grave.

  10. #20
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: NASCAR (for fans only... no hijacking allowed)

    "triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/racing/04/10/bc.car.waltrip.accident.ap/index.html

    Michael Waltrip just keeps digging himself a deeper grave.
    i saw that on espn... but i didnt know if you hit a pole or something you had to report it either... he hasnt qualified since what the first race?

    Thanks josdin00

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thread Hijacking and Reported Posts
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
  2. Parachute May Have Link to 1971 Hijacking Case
    By Zeus in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
  3. No OSU fans Allowed???
    By Frostbite in forum College Ball
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 06:40 PM
  4. Nascar topic... for Nascar fans... no "left turn"comments needed
    By triedandtruevikesfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
  5. Thread Hijacking & Off Color Commentary
    By Webby in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 02:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •