BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

N.M. Orders 500 Talking Urinal Cakes

[img width=350 height=239]http://www.bismarcktribune.com/content/articles/2007/02/14/ap/strange/d8n9ong81.jpg[/img]
    SANTA FE, N.M. - New Mexico is taking its fight against drunken driving to men's restrooms around the state. The state has ordered 500 talking urinal cakes that will deliver a recorded anti-DWI message to bar and restaurant patrons who make one last pit stop before getting behind the wheel.

"Hey there, big guy. Having a few drinks?" a female voice says a few seconds after an approaching male sets off a motion sensor in the device. "It's time to call a cab or ask a sober friend for a ride home."

Transportation Department spokesman S.U. Mahesh said the urinal cakes are a way to reach one group that's a target of state safety campaigns. Men commit about three times as many drunken-driving infractions as women.

The devices, manufactured by New York-based Healthquest Technologies Inc., were invented by Richard Deutsch. He said there's no other device like it on the market.

"The idea is based on the concept that there is no more captive audience than a guy standing at a urinal," Deutsch said. "You can't look right and you can't look left; you've got to look at the ad."

Public awareness campaigns in New York, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Australia have used the devices, as have commercial advertisers.

In New Mexico, the device uses the state DWI slogan "You drink, you drive, you lose."

Some Albuquerque bars installed the devices this week, and the state plans to distribute them to Santa Fe bars and restaurants as well as establishments in Farmington, Gallup and Las Cruces.

The state spent $21 for each talking urinal cake for the pilot program but will ask bars and restaurants to pay for future orders if the idea catch on, Mahesh said.

The cakes have enough battery power to last about three months.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/02/14/ap/strange/d8n9ong81.txt

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: N.M. Orders 500 Talking Urinal Cakes

"Hey there big guy"...Could they be more subtle?

I heard this on the BOB & TOM radio show this morning.....
    I think it would be a pretty sobering experience.....

Just imagine propping yourself up at a urinal at 2am....and the urinal cake starts talking to you....
    you are either going to sober up fast or hopefully realize that you just had a conversation with a piss soaked urinal cake and it would probably be best if you got a ride home!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

id hate to be the guy that changes the batteries....now there a show for dirty jobs!
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

It'll be interesting to see if the DWI convictions go down in New Mexico after these are "installed."

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!