My ACT scores are here!!!

Finally! I got the exact score I hoped for (a 30), and I could've done even better (I ran out of time in math and did a little worse on the English than expected). Does anybody have advise about how good of a college I can get into with a 30 and a 3.8 career gpa where I can get some good scholarships and financial aid (I live in MI)?
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: My ACT scores are here!!!

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    Finally! I got the exact score I hoped for (a 30), and I could've done even better (I ran out of time in math and did a little worse on the English than expected). Does anybody have advise about how good of a college I can get into with a 30 and a 3.8 career gpa where I can get some good scholarships and financial aid (I live in MI)?
    You should have a chance at most of the top schools out there...at least the ones that accept ACT scores!
    Congrats...and welcome to the ACT30 Club...way back in the early 80s, I also scored a 30 (composite)...but I chose to go to the local university because I wanted to pay my way through school instead of borrowing.
    My advice to you after doing it that way is that you should just borrow the money and don't let the costs limit you from going to the school that you want to go to!
    GOOD LUCK!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    I went to Amherst College - www.amherst.edu - one of the top liberal arts schools in the USA.
    You could get into Amherst with those scores, grades, a good application and good interview.

All financial aid there is need-based and such.
    You'd really have to talk to the financial aid people to look at that.

My basic point is - you can probably get into damn near any school you want with a 30 ACT (what was the scale this year, 36?
    When I took it in '85, the score scale was up to a 34 and it varied year-over-year.) and a 3.83.
    Really and truly.

My advice on the financial side is to either find the best in-state school (which might be Ann Arbor, honestly, I don't know much about Michigan schools) and then work with them on the financial side.

Good luck with all of that!
    I know how hard you've worked to get here, make sure you take the time to maximize the opportunities available in the next step!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BritishVike is offline Rookie

I have no idea about the US education system but by the sounds of it 30 on ur ACT's is really good. Well done! Like i said i have no idea what u can do with it coz i dont know what it means but congrats and keep up the good work throughout college/school/uni, whatever u guys have over there. Im just finishing uni in England at the moment, fingers crossed i get good grades as well!

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I currently work for a college, and what i can say is that it is really beyond just GPA and ACT scores now. There are alot of other things that colleges consider now before admitting students. Things have gotten alot tougher. Second look at what you can get from the college and not just a name. Yeah having a big name school on your resume may look nice, but employers are looking for more of what you can bring to their company not just a peice of paper. You have to feel that you can fit in to the college, be successful, and that the skills you learn will be successsful for you you.
    degrees like Philosophy, and english may sound like a cool or easy degree to get
    but then how many philoshy companies are hiring right now.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I'm a complete dumbass, I got an 18.
    The tribal college on the reservation wouldn't even let me in.

Thanks for the advice guys! I've been thinking of something writing-related, like journalism. Michigan State and Western Michigan have four year degrees in that area. My writing score wasn't the best, though, because one of the essays was on something I knew nothing about, I might retake it to improve that score and my Math score. My Reading and Science scores were the best.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I'm a complete dumbass, I got an 18.
    The tribal college on the reservation wouldn't even let me in.
    lol.

I never took the ACT but I am sure I wouldn't have done much better than you

laujesse is offline Starter

I got in the 90's on the ASVAB and Uncle Sam swindled me into the Air Force so I couldn't tell you my ACT score or what college to go to...

I can say don't join the military though. Just kidding... It is not all bad, but if you are looking into it don't listen to your recruiter.
    Ask for advice from people who have been there and don't get promotion points for you signing up. Glad I joined... Glad I got out... Win-win.

I now value my international U of Hard Knocks PHD more than any paper one.
    I now take classes but for self improvement not a degree.

Hope this helps...
    Tom Powers < Hetero

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"laujesse" wrote:
    I got in the 90's on the ASVAB and Uncle Sam swindled me into the Air Force so I couldn't tell you my ACT score or what college to go to...

I can say don't join the military though. Just kidding... It is not all bad, but if you are looking into it don't listen to your recruiter.
    Ask for advice from people who have been there and don't get promotion points for you signing up. Glad I joined... Glad I got out... Win-win.

I now value my international U of Hard Knocks PHD more than any paper one.
    I now take classes but for self improvement not a degree.

Hope this helps...
    man I couldn't agree with you more. My recruiter also lied his ass off. I am happy with my time in the army though, did my 8 years and got out alive.