Thread: Muhammad Ali

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

Muhammad Ali

just watching the louisville/wake forrest game and they trotted ali out as an honorary captain

its sad to see such a charismatic, energetic person be reduced to this and it'd be interesting to imagaine how the "old" ali would have reacted to himself if he could have somehow gotten a glimpse of his future

the guy is literally a shell of his former self and yet he still is brought out at so many huge, public events.
    the "old" ali personified traits such as passion, dominance, respect, power. i don't think "pity" would have been something he would have wanted to be associated with.

jesus, just let the guy live with some dignity :

How do ya like them apples?!

Re: Muhammad Ali

While I think they meant well by making him honorary captain, people with disabilities just want to be treated like everyone else. Treating them differently is like holding up a big sign in front of them that says "HEY YOU'RE DISABLED!". That's sad that they parade him around like that.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

He knows what's up...it's not like he is totally incapacitated...and he appreciates all the love that he gets...and he deserves it.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

While I was super-crunk for the Orange Bowl and the resulting U of L win, I have to agree.
    Using Ali as just... well, a "show piece" it seemed like was not fitting for such a miraculous man who has meant so much to so many people.
    Go Cards!
    And Go Ali!
    Still the greatest, ever.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    While I was super-crunk for the Orange Bowl and the resulting U of L win, I have to agree.
    Using Ali as just... well, a "show piece" it seemed like was not fitting for such a miraculous man who has meant so much to so many people.
    Go Cards!
    And Go Ali!
    Still the greatest, ever.
    exactly. well said.

How do ya like them apples?!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

He has parkinsons, which is a movement disease that effects motor skills and speech.
    He has full brain function and his wife says he is still sharp as a tack, but he just can't express it physically or verbally.

I don't think it was pity applause at all. He's a hometown hero, and the best boxer of all time. He was at one point the most recognizable person on the planet. No one in the younger generations dislike him, as many people who witnessed his boxing carreer did.

It wasn't pity applause, it was praise, for a great athlete, a hometown hero, and a great man.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

A lot of his problems have a lot do with being beat in the head for so many years.
    He has parkinsons, George Foreman got a grill, doesn't seem fair.