Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Motorized Wheelchair Needed

I need some help for a friend, and was hoping someone here could help. My friend was injured as a passenger in a car accident several years ago. He is now a Quad, with very little use of his arms. The other persons insurance bought him a Motorized Wheelchair, but that chair has now given up and can no longer be fixed. The drive train is broke, and the motor blew up. His mother is now getting him around with a regular wheelchair.

At the time of the accident he was about 20 years old, so cannot get disability. He gets SSI but not Medicare. PA welfare told him that for him to get a new chair he had to be obese or an alcoholic! Figures!

My question is...does anyone know where I can find a free or very reasonable chair similar to the one pictured below? Or an organization that can help him? I will buy the chair for him but will have to make payments if it costs more than my budget.

In fact this chair would be perfect for him. But anything in a good used one would also do.

[size=13pt]Pride Jazzy 1121[/size]

[move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Motorized Wheelchair Needed

$3800 base price. Pretty pricey. I can't do much Frdje but I would be happy to send you $25 via Pay Pal if you have an account if it will help.
    I remember seeing these ads on TV for the motorized scooters where they claim they will get you one for free. Iknow it's not a wheel chair but you may call them and inquire. Maybe they know some ins and outs others aren't telling you. I think their website is http://www.thescooterstore.com/
    You can send me a PM.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised medicaid won't help him.
    I'm pretty sure it is a state to state thing but I live in West Virginia and normally if you are on SSI you still get a medicaid card.

I've been a quad since 95 but I have medicare (due to my fathers disability) and they will pay for a new chair every 5 years.
    Even so the restrictions are getting so insane that it takes forever to even get one through medicare.
    The entire system needs to be re-worked.

Sad thing is the majority of people don't understand or believe it until they are stuck in a situation similar to mine or your friends.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"Freakout" wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it is a state to state thing but I live in West Virginia and normally if you are on SSI you still get a medicaid card.

I've been a quad since 95 but I have medicare (due to my fathers disability) and they will pay for a new chair every 5 years.
    Even so the restrictions are getting so insane that it takes forever to even get one through medicare.

Sad thing is the majority of people don't understand or believe it until they are stuck in a situation similar to mine or your friends.
    I see you understand the problem. PA medicaid said he had to be obese or an alcoholic to get a new chair for krip sakes! I am going to start a fund to get him another one. The one I showed here was on the cheaper side, they go up to $22,000! That is how much my daughters cost. At least she was smart enough to have them responsiable for anything she will ever need in her settlement.

Poor Troy was a passenger in someone else's car and the other guy was under-insured, so there you go.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    "Freakout" wrote:

I see you understand the problem. PA medicaid said he had to be obese or an alcoholic to get a new chair for krip sakes! I am going to start a fund to get him another one. The one I showed here was on the cheaper side, they go up to $22,000! That is how much my daughters cost. At least she was smart enough to have them responsiable for anything she will ever need in her settlement.

Poor Troy was a passenger in someone else's car and the other guy was under-insured, so there you go.
    Talk to a church or an organization that might help you get a fundraiser going. I.E. a Chicken "Q", a raffle, something at school, etc...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    I need some help for a friend, and was hoping someone here could help. My friend was injured as a passenger in a car accident several years ago. He is now a Quad, with very little use of his arms. The other persons insurance bought him a Motorized Wheelchair, but that chair has now given up and can no longer be fixed. The drive train is broke, and the motor blew up. His mother is now getting him around with a regular wheelchair.

At the time of the accident he was about 20 years old, so cannot get disability. He gets SSI but not Medicare. PA welfare told him that for him to get a new chair he had to be obese or an alcoholic! Figures!

My question is...does anyone know where I can find a free or very reasonable chair similar to the one pictured below? Or an organization that can help him? I will buy the chair for him but will have to make payments if it costs more than my budget.

In fact this chair would be perfect for him. But anything in a good used one would also do.

[size=13pt]Pride Jazzy 1121[/size]

I "MIGHT" be able to assist with something.
    Send me a message with your e-mail or cell phone . . . and I live in PA too.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

OK This may sound insesnsitive but it is in no way ment to be. But there has to be a program, that recycles Wheelchairs. Im ean ther are people that die all of
    the time that use them what do they do with them? I can't imagine someone just keeping them around and doing nothing with them. Well I would not think so. If you know of someone that hass passed away and was using a wheelchair, ask if they could donate it to you, or put out an add that you are looking for one. Try E-bay they have about everything on there. but you would probably get hit with mega shippig cost.

Also anyway of buying a new Drive/engine?

couple of sites I found

http://www.usedwheelchairs.com/power.html
    http://www.marcsmobility.com/
    http://www.1800wheelchair.com/
    http://www.used-wheelchairs-usa.com/

Some good info
    http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/used.html

Good Luck!

What's the one they advertise on TV? The one where if your insurance or assistance won't pay for it, the company somehow assists you?

They even talk about how it can be free to some people.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    What's the one they advertise on TV? The one where if your insurance or assistance won't pay for it, the company somehow assists you?

I mentioned that in my post. It's the Scooter Store.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I mentioned that in my post. It's the Scooter Store.
    That's it! Thanx Cojo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast