Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motion-activated theater seats to give new meaning to the term 'movie'

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/05/motion-activate.php

Looks like it's going to be REAL busy up on the fourth floor of MOA.
    I'm jealous

[img width=450 height=310]http://dvice.com/assets_c/2009/05/motionseats-thumb-550x379-18252.jpg[/img]

The next Terminator movie debuts tomorrow, and along with it, a new theater gimmick: moving seats. At a theater that will be showing Terminator Salvation in Bloomington, Minnesota's Mall of America, special seats will shake up startled moviegoers using patented D-BOX Motion Code to make them move along with the movie:

Each seat moves "in perfect sync" with the onscreen action; creating an unmatched immersive experience. With its unique, patented technology, D-BOX Motion Code uses programmed motion effects embedded and specially programmed for each film, which are sent to a motion generating system integrated in a platform or a seat. While audience members will experience motion during action sequences, the seats will remain still during quieter scenes. It also comes equipped with adjustable settings so individuals can customize the experience.

It's only the fourth such theater in the U.S. outfitted for such kooky hijinks. We've tried some of these moving-along-with-the movie thrill rides before, emerging with an acute case of carsickness. Let's hope this iteration of that goofy idea is better executed. Is there no length to which theatermongers won't go to entice viewers way from their cushy home theaters?

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Motion-activated theater seats to give new meaning to the term 'movie'

Upgrades to movie theaters will continue to come, people don't go see movies as often as they used to with all the home entertainment shit that's out there.
    Theaters now have to compete with living rooms.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    Upgrades to movie theaters will continue to come, people don't go see movies as often as they used to with all the home entertainment pooh that's out there.
    Same goes for sporting events. When you can watch the game in HD with rewind for replays and fast forward for commercials, and a fridge full of beer, it's sometimes hard to get up early and go through all the hassle of a live game, still worth it, but not as much so as 10 years ago.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    Upgrades to movie theaters will continue to come, people don't go see movies as often as they used to with all the home entertainment pooh that's out there.
    Same goes for sporting events. When you can watch the game in HD with rewind for replays and fast forward for commercials, and a fridge full of beer, it's sometimes hard to get up early and go through all the hassle of a live game, still worth it, but not as much so as 10 years ago.
    got that right, i got hooked up w/ the direct TV NFL package..looking forward to NOT leaving my house to watch the games!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    got that right, i got hooked up w/ the direct TV NFL package..looking forward to NOT leaving my house to watch the games!
    There is still something to be said about going to the game, cheering your ass off, and possibly even help your team win. And while I rarely have Premium in the fridge, there is always a cold one after a Viking victory at the dome.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I agree about the games now a days

I love sleeping in til 11 and cracking open the beers and having my girl cook up steaks

But I also love waking up real early and being excited to get to the dome.. Drinking coffee til I get to the parking lot and having a few beers and hanging out with friends

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"V4L" wrote:

I love sleeping in til 11 and cracking open the beers and having my girl cook up steaks

But I also love waking up real early and being excited to get to the dome.. Drinking coffee til I get to the parking lot and having a few beers and hanging out with friends

I like both...possibly even equally.
    I love the tailgating but once inside the dome it's usually just so/so for me 80% of the time (big plays, comebacks, 296, etc being the exception).
    I enjoy watching on TV in the comfort of my own home where it is much easier to focus on the games.
    I guess what I've decided is doing the season ticket thing allows you to see 8 games in person and 8 from home, a nice mix n' match.
    Granted we went to 2 away games last year too...but I think you see what I'm sayin.
    I wouldn't want to watch all of them in person, and I certainly wouldn't want to watch all of them from home.
    One year though it would be fun to try and attend every single game.
    We should ask Mars how that was for him last season.
    :P

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    You don't have to get up that early. I get up at 8 and make it there by 9. You are just lazy. You turds better show up earlier this year.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I like both...possibly even equally.
    I love the tailgating but once inside the dome it's usually just so/so for me 80% of the time (big plays, comebacks, 296, etc being the exception).
    I enjoy watching on TV in the comfort of my own home where it is much easier to focus on the games.
    I guess what I've decided is doing the season ticket thing allows you to see 8 games in person and 8 from home, a nice mix n' match.
    Granted we went to 2 away games last year too...but I think you see what I'm sayin.
    I wouldn't want to watch all of them in person, and I certainly wouldn't want to watch all of them from home.
    One year though it would be fun to try and attend every single game.
    We should ask Mars how that was for him last season.
    :P
    I missed a couple. It was tiring at the end. I think I am only going to 2 away games this year. Green Bay and Arizona.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    You don't have to get up that early. I get up at 8 and make it there by 9. You are just lazy. You turds better show up earlier this year.
    With the DVR I get up at 1pm and watch the game commercial free. The problem with Sundays is they follow Saturday nights.
    Of course I only do that for road games, I've been to every home game the last 2 seasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast