Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Most Obnoxious Tourists?

[size=13pt]Most Obnoxious Tourists? The French[/size]

TIME Magazine
    By BRUCE CRUMLEY / PARIS

Remember the tightwad tourist whose baggy shorts, frequent complaining and shouted questions about why none of the locals spoke any English made the ugly American the world's Visitor From Hell? Well, it's time for Archie Bunker to move over and make way for Petulant Pierre.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Most Obnoxious Tourists?

Hmmm.. not sure on that. Travelling within Europe I'd say the worst tourists were us Brits. Many won't make an effort to learn any local phrases or words at all and expect the locals to speak english. Add to that the capacity for not being able to hold their beer and getting into bother with said locals then it's a small wonder we're ever allowed off our island home
    :

I'm surprised they pick the french out regarding languages as many I have encountered do at least make an effort to speak some english or foreign language.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Hmmm.. not sure on that. Travelling within Europe I'd say the worst tourists were us Brits. Many won't make an effort to learn any local phrases or words at all and expect the locals to speak english. Add to that the capacity for not being able to hold their beer and getting into bother with said locals then it's a small wonder we're ever allowed off our island home
    :

I'm surprised they pick the french out regarding languages as many I have encountered do at least make an effort to speak some english or foreign language.
    I have never heard of a Brit not being able to hold their liquor.
    I partied with several SAS up in Alaska, and they drank every one of us under the table... twice.
    Nice to know that you guys are human too.

I think most Americans vacationing overseas now make an effort not to be the legendary ugly American.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"AngloVike" wrote:
    I'd say the worst tourists were us Brits.
    It looks like the Brits placed pretty high on the list:

Following the Japanese as most-liked tourists were the Germans, British and Canadians. Americans finished in 11th place alongside the Thais.
    And of course we knew the French would retaliate somehow, creating a smokescreen, and attracting attention elsewhere:

"When they go abroad, French travellers demand the same quality they'd get at home," [size=10pt]de Roux says[/size]. "Americans... rank as the loudest, most inclined to complain, and among the least polite."

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

"AngloVike" wrote:
    :

While I haven't had the opportunity to visit the British Isles...yet!
    I did find in France that if you make the effort to speak the language the French were very helpful (at least in Normandy).
    I only had one bad experience throughout France and that was being called "capitalist" by a convience store clerk.

The British I met may have come across a little "snooty", not because they were but because of an exactitude in manners and speech.
    Most of the ones I met were really great people.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    I did find in France that if you make the effort to speak the language the French were very helpful (at least in Normandy).
    I found the same thing in my trips to Paris.
    Most of the French know English, and are willing to speak it once they see how bad we are with French, lol.
    We only get viewed as "ill-mannered" Americans when we walk up to someone French and, arrogantly, start speaking English.
    Of course, we'd be extremely irritated with them if they walked up to one of us, in America, and just started speaking French.

They simply want to hold on to their culture, and don't want to be forced to be "Americanized".

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    I found the same thing in my trips to Paris.
    Most of the French know English, and are willing to speak it once they see how bad we are with French, lol.
    We only get viewed as "ill-mannered" Americans when we walk up to someone French and, arrogantly, start speaking English.
    Of course, we'd be extremely irritated with them if they walked up to one of us, in America, and just started speaking French.

They simply want to hold on to their culture, and don't want to be forced to be "Americanized".

The only rudeness that I ever experienced in France were the Paris waiters, who insisted on making everyone at the table order in English, even though most of the diners were VERY fluent French speakers (as opposed to the marginally fluent French waiter being so in English).
    Other than that, the French were awesome...of course, since I have a French last name and spent time tracing my roots while there, they bent over backwards to ingratiate themselves to me.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Please tell me I'm not the only one here that finds it disturbing that the American tourist was/is one of the loudest, most inclined to complain, and least polite.
    I find that appalling!

The language thing doesn't bother me.
    You can't expect someone to know Spanish, French, German, etc. all at once.
    So the language barrier isn't a big deal to me, whether a tourist from another country asks me a question in their native tongue or I do the same as a tourist.
    It is what it is.

But the volume, whining, and impoliteness CAN be fixed.
    Those are all unacceptable!
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Tough it is always hard to generalize,I disagree completely as the German tourists ranked 2 in good manners.

My country
    is crowded of Germans during the Summertime, and their good manners
    are ,being totally drunk all day,pissing in the streets,singing loudy german songs etc etc ...
    :
    El underdog.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    :

I have never heard of a Brit not being able to hold their liquor.
    I partied with several SAS up in Alaska, and they drank every one of us under the table... twice.
    Nice to know that you guys are human too.

I think most Americans vacationing overseas now make an effort not to be the legendary ugly American.
    trust me the majority of Brits are not the beer kings that they like to think they are. The military guys I could believe but look at the city centres on a Friday and Saturday night and you'll see plenty of people rolling about off their faces. Try looking on You Tube and I'm sure you'll find a few examples
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast