Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

More good news, and a question...

As you all know, I have been out of work since January. Last week, I was offered a position (full-time, permanent work) as a "Fulfillment Supervisor" (basically, a boss in a warehouse). I tenatively accepted the position, telling them I would need the weekend to think about it.

Now, the dilema: I ALSO was waiting to hear on another position (Full-time, permanent) in a field where I recently got my two-year degree. Well, I heard back from them today with good and bad news. The bad news is, they decided NOT to hire me full-time permanent. The good news is, they want to hire me on contract, with a 60-day trial period, after which, if I succeed, they would hire me as an employee at a to-be-determined-then salary.

So, you see my quandry. I need your opinions!!! The full-time permanent position (less money, but a sure thing) or the contract position (more money, something I want and love to do, but up to me to convince them at the 60-day point that I'm worth hiring permanent).

Commence voting please!!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Del Rio Guest

Re: More good news, and a question...

You invested time in your education, some times all it takes is a foot in the door, so unless you went to school to supervise warehouse duties I would recomend you take the job that has some serious potential.

There are always risks in every job. What if you start at the Warehouse job and hate it? That's too big of a risk IMO :grin: I'd say try your hand at what you went to school for, with what you wanted to do. It could pay off big time. The experience alone will help you land a different job in the same field at a later time.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

life wouldn't be fun without challenges. I say you go for the second choice. That it pays more is just a nice bonus.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Go for the job in your field!

You did the time & spent the money getting the education, use it!

If you do not, you will always be kicking yourself for not taking it!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I say talk to your wife and you two come up with a decision together. I'm not much of a risk taker myself and I would go with the sure thing, but that is not the desired choice for you. I think you would do great at the job you got your two year degree in. Stay confident in whatever you choose, you'll do a great job shock!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

Go for the second choice. You have the degree and you can make more money! You will have more control of your destiny and a little more motivation. You will always wonder about it if you take the warehouse job.
    I BLEED PURPLE!

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Contract. If they are giving you the 60 days, they are at least considering you, but just need more time to review your progress or work out funding, staffing issues, etc. A lot further than most IT folks. Its not usually an easy out for them, because by then you're understanding their systems and working more productively.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I would go for the second. You only live once, why not take on somethin new and exciting?

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

you get paided more for something you would rather do and you even have a problem deciding?
    We're bringing purple back.

My gut instinct is to go for the second job, the one in your field. The only reservation I'd have is if they turn out to not hire you fulltime (not that you didn't do a great job, but maybe they can't create the position)...can you handle that financially/emotionally (no need to answer me, you can just ask yourself those questions)? I think getting a job that fits your education level will make you happier in the long run...and maybe getting that experience will help you too. Does the second company usually hire people like that (contract then permanent)? Or is there something about your skill sets that makes them more afraid you don't match up with the position well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast