Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

More Controversy on South Park:Steve Irwin

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/27/irwin.southpark/index.html

'South Park' mocks Steve Irwin

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The cartoon series "South Park" has never been shy of courting controversy, but its latest episode has caused outrage by featuring the recently deceased Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin.

Swearing and random death and destruction are staples of the cartoon, which has been broadcast since 1997. Irwin, killed by a stingray's barb while snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef in September is the latest celebrity to be lampooned by the show.

The episode, aired in the U.S. earlier this week, shows Satan preparing to host a Halloween fancy dress party. Other guests include Princess Diana, Hitler and rapper Notorious B.I.G. Critics have been appalled by the Irwin character's depiction in a bloodstained shirt and with a stingray still attached to his chest.

John Beyer of UK TV watchdog Mediawatch said: "This is such bad taste and the makers of 'South Park' should review their decision to show it. Steve's family are still grieving.

"To lampoon somebody's death like that is unacceptable and so soon after the event is grossly insensitive.'

"South Park" maker Comedy Central defended the episode. A spokesperson for the company said: "It has offended people in the past and probably will again. Regular watchers would not be shocked."

The show holds the record for the most swearwords spoken in one program, and regularly takes pot-shots at celebrities and makes fun of politics and religion.

Some tamer examples include George Clooney, mocked for his politically-motivated Oscar acceptance speech, and lampooning Tom Cruise and John Travolta for their belief in Scientology. One episode with a depiction of a bleeding Virgin Mary so upset the Catholic Church that it was pulled from repeats of the series.

[img width=220 height=242]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/27/irwin.southpark/story.southparkirwin1.jpg[/img]

Personally Its South Park where its pretty much nothing is sacred. They take shots at everything. I had no problem with it but I can see how others would

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Re: More Controversy on South Park:Steve Irwin

I watched South Park once. Once. Just for S & G to see what the fuss was about.
    I didn't get it. They lost me after the first few minutes of blah, blah, blah.

On the other hand, Stewie on The Family Guy is hysterical.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

I don't think the idea of Steve Irwin being in the episode is really offensive. But I do believe that what is really offensive is assuming who is in hell. Steve Irwin has probably done alot of stuff but to pinpoint the idea he is in hell is just plain ludicris.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

Yeah i use to think South Park was funny in 8th Grade but it got old pretty quick, and i stoped watching when I realized that they are just trying to shock people because thats the only way they can get anybody to watch.
    Fart and poop jokes can only get you so far but shocking people can get you 10 seasons!!!! and yeah Family Guy is way better.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"ballhog27" wrote:
    I don't think the idea of Steve Irwin being in the episode is really offensive. But I do believe that what is really offensive is assuming who is in hell. Steve Irwin has probably done alot of stuff but to pinpoint the idea he is in hell is just plain ludicris.
    To be fair, they are just sticking with their own stories.
    On an episode a few years ago, they said that the Mormons were right about everything and were the only people that went to heaven.
    So technically, sticking with their story, all of those people should be there.

As far as the stingray in his chest thing goes, I don't think it was in good taste, but it's South Park and that is what they do.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

For all you guys that love Family Guy there is a Southpark episode ripping on Family Guy the whole time.
    Family guy is a good show but its gone down hill since it has come back, Just like simpsons eventually did but much sooner.
    South Park is a pretty good show.
    It has always been about shocking people but I think it has grown since its creation.
    It now does a good job of poking fun at current events and pointing out the stupidity in society.
    This was definatly in bad taste and insensitive to people close to Steve Irwin
    especially so soon after his death.
    But what can you expect from Southpark.
    Stuff like this they should actually sit down and consider other people.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"ballhog27" wrote:

It used to be one of the funniest shows on TV until they did their feature film and since then they been so over the top that nothing they do surprises me.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"Billy" wrote:
    For all you guys that love Family Guy there is a Southpark episode ripping on Family Guy the whole time.
    I wasn't the biggest Family Guy fan before I saw the South Park episode ripping on it.
    After seeing that episode of South Park, I really can't watch Family Guy anymore, because I am constantly thinking about how right South Park was.

MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

I've never really liked South Park, not because I find it offensive, It just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour. As for them sticking Steve Irwin in as Bdubya says it is what they do, so if you are still watching the show now you should know what to expect. One thing it has done is generate publicity, probably pushing the ratings up now call me cynical but maybe that was the idea all along.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    John Beyer of UK TV watchdog Mediawatch said: "This is such bad taste and the makers of 'South Park' should review their decision to show it. Steve's family are still grieving.
    I love South Park. I think it (can be) the funniest thing on television. But the truth is, his family IS still grieving, and mocking him like that is a bit fucked up.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast