OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

Monson resigning

Monson resigns as coach at MinnesotaBy Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

Dan Monson was told earlier this week that he was likely going to be out as head coach at Minnesota, and he could either be fired or he could resign in an attempt to get a better financial settlement.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Sid Hartman was the first to report Thursday that Monson was out as head coach after taking over the scandal-ridden program in 1999.

Wednesday night's 90-68 loss to Clemson in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge may have been inconsequential after sources said Thursday that Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi told Monson that either he had to go or there would be pressure they both may be out.

So, as the hours ticked toward a 4 p.m. ET news conference Thursday, Monson and his representation were negotiating a settlement. If one wasn't reached then an announcement was coming that he would be fired instead of resigning. A source close to Monson said he is currently seeking $1.2 million. If he is fired then he would reportedly receive $1 million.

Assistant coach Jim Molinari, a former Bradley head coach, is the successor. The naming of Molinari was a bit of a surprise considering that Bill Walker had been the assistant at Minnesota since 1999.

Minnesota was off to a 2-5 start, which included going winless at the Old Spice Classic in Orlando with losses to Marist and Montana. The Gophers are on a five-game losing streak and play Arizona State on Saturday.

Monson was the hot young head coach in 1999 when he led Gonzaga to the Elite Eight, which started the Zags' run to college basketball's elite. The Zags beat Minnesota in the NCAA Tournament that year in Seattle in what would be Clem Haskins' last run with the Gophers. An academic scandal hit the program and Monson was brought in to clean it up, which he did. But the Gophers struggled to keep elite players with Rick Rickert, Joel Pryzbilla and Kris Humphries all leaving early for the NBA draft. Monson took the Gophers to four NITs and one NCAA, that coming in 2005.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Monson resigning

Good scoop! Where is Singer on this one???
    :P

It's about time they can Monson - he was going downhill FAST.

Do you have a link to the article?
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

1 down and 1 more to go!

This should have happened at the end of last season, he could not recruit and he could not get the best out of the players he had.

I want Rick Majerious to come out of retirement and take over the head coaching job for the Gophers.

Now if they would only fire Mason I would be a happy camper!
    I know they salvaged the season with 3 straight wins, but he has had to many 7 and 8th place finishes and his ludicrous statement that they were still rebuilding the program after 10 years should have gotten him fired already.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Bye bye Monson

Bring back Clem and Bobby Jackson and another NCAA tourney run.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I think that under the circumstances Monson did a pretty good job. Was it time for him to go? Possibly/Probably. Would I have been pissed if he stayed? Definitely not. We'll see what the change brings, if anything.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Good scoop! Where is Singer on this one???
    :P

It's about time they can Monson - he was going downhill FAST.

Do you have a link to the article?
    I have abducted Singer...he's in my basement...... See ESPN Shock.....

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Bye bye Monson

Bring back Clem and Bobby Jackson and another NCAA tourney run.

Would not mind that at all!
    Clem had some pretty good teams and Bobby was one of my favorite players of all time.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Yeah that final four team was pretty awesome with Bobby J, Sam whatever the heck his last name was and with John Thomas. Fun to watch and Clem did a great job.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!