Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Mom charged with baby's microwave death

Ok seriously WTF is wrong with people. This I have to admit is one of the sickest things I have heard, and I have worked in a childrens shelter before. I usually have a calm demenor about most things I have heard but this one made me pissed off.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/11/28/baby.microwave.ap/index.html

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- A mother was arrested on suspicion of murdering her newborn daughter by microwaving the baby in an oven.

China Arnold, 26, was jailed Monday on a charge of aggravated murder, more than a year after she brought her dead month-old baby to a hospital. Bail was set Tuesday at $1 million.

"We have reason to believe, and we have some forensic evidence that is consistent with our belief, that a microwave oven was used in this death," said Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County coroner's office.

He said the evidence included high-heat internal injuries and the absence of external burn marks on the baby, Paris Talley.

Arnold was arrested soon after the baby's death in August 2005, then was released while authorities investigated further. Betz said the case was difficult because "there is not a lot of scientific research and data on the effect of microwaves on human beings."

The death was ruled a homicide caused by hyperthermia, or high body temperature. The absence of external burns ruled out an open flame, scalding water or a heating pad as the cause, Betz said.

Arnold's lawyer, Jon Paul Rion, said his client had nothing to do with her child's death and was stunned when investigators told her that a microwave might have been involved. (Watch the mother's lawyer insist she's innocent )

"China -- as a mother and a person -- was horrified that such an act could occur," Rion said.

The night before the baby was taken to the hospital, Arnold and the child's father went out for a short time and left Paris with a baby sitter, Rion said. The mother didn't sense anything out of the ordinary until the next morning, when the child was found unconscious, Rion said.

Arnold has three other children.

In 2000, a Virginia woman was sentenced to five years in prison for killing her month-old son in a microwave oven. Elizabeth Renee Otte claimed she had no memory of cramming her son in the microwave and turning on the appliance in 1999.

Experts said that Otte suffered from epilepsy and that her seizures were followed by blackouts.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Mom charged with baby's microwave death

So the mom is saying the babysitter is responsible for the death?

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    So the mom is saying the babysitter is responsible for the death?

It's not that far fetched baby sitter nukes the baby for a little bit does internal damage but not enough to kill the kid right away and the baby dies the next day.

Not saying it happened but I am saying I think it is possible.

Lie detector for both.
    Death for the one that loses.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

This group of boys that killed one of their mothers are a bunch of nice guys and another reason we need the death penalty in Minnesota.

Sorry if that offends some of the posters, but at a certain point I think you give up the right to be on the planet.
    The person that nuked the baby above is one and these young men are included in that group.

http://www.startribune.com/467/story/837309.html

Last update: November 27, 2006 – 11:54 PM

Gunman: Friend praised him for killing mother Joel Beckrich calmly described the night Nancy Everson died.
    Chao Xiong, Star Tribune

The man who admitted to fatally shooting Nancy Everson in the head in her Chaska home said her son praised him for the killing as they fled the scene together.
    "[Grant Everson] ... said something to the effect of, 'Don't ever let me call you a pansy. I have a lot of respect for you,' " Joel Beckrich testified, recalling their conversation as they left in Nancy Everson's green Dodge Caravan.

Beckrich, 21, was largely composed and unemotional as he testified Monday against his friend, Grant Everson, 21, in Carver County District Court. Beckrich earlier pleaded guilty to killing Nancy Everson, 52, about 4:30 a.m. on Jan. 15.

Beckrich's attorney and parents sat in a far corner of the packed courtroom, his mother's reddened face quivering through the approximately 4½ hours her son was on the witness stand.

He testified that he shot Nancy Everson after Grant forced a shotgun on him and instructed him to kill her. The defense has maintained that although Grant Everson is guilty of attempted murder in plotting to slit the throats of his parents, Tom and Nancy, he abandoned the plan at the last minute and Beckrich's "rash" actions killed her.

Grant Everson solicited Beckrich's help in killing his parents because they were "trying to hold him back from what he could be" and because his father persuaded his grandmother not to help him buy a car as promised, Beckrich testified. He said he went along with the plan out of "sympathy" because he identified with his friend's parental pressures.

Half the insurance money

And Grant promised him half the proceeds from his mother's life insurance and sales of his dad's belongings, including a car and 79-inch television, Beckrich testified. He wanted to use the money to open a coffee and marijuana shop in Amsterdam.

The plan went awry when they entered the couple's bedroom -- led by Grant carrying a shotgun -- and Nancy Everson's head "popped up," Beckrich testified. She wasn't wearing her glasses and didn't know anyone was there, he said. She lay back down.

Beckrich said the men, wearing ski masks, froze in the doorway for about five minutes and then slowly backed out. He went back to a mudroom while Grant stood in the hallway nearby. His mother woke up and confronted her son in the hall; he pointed the shotgun at her face, Beckrich said.

"She eyed Grant up and down, and Grant asked her to turn around and please sit down," Beckrich said.

'Can we talk?'

Nancy Everson said, "Can we talk?" Beckrich testified.

In that moment, the men panicked and tried to back out of the killing, Beckrich said. The men told each other they couldn't do it, but Grant insisted Beckrich had to.

Grant shoved the 20-gauge Mossberg shotgun at him, he testified.

When Assistant Carver County Attorney Peter Ivy asked him why he took the weapon, Beckrich said, "It was reflex. When someone hands you something, you don't drop it."

He went looking for Nancy Everson in the main hallway, not knowing that she had gone into the kitchen. Beckrich testified that Grant told him Nancy Everson was behind him and instructed him to turn around.

He did, and came face to face with her.

He said he asked her twice, "Head or chest?" to stall for time, not knowing what else to say.

"She took a few steps towards me," Beckrich said. "She said, 'I don't believe this.' "

Beckrich said he steadied the gun against his shoulder, aiming over her head.

She yelled Grant's name, cursed him and ordered him out of the house, Beckrich testified.

Beckrich then fired a warning shot over her head, and she ducked, "lunged" forward and tried to take the gun, he testified. That's when Beckrich said he fired the fatal shot as she stood less than 5 feet away.

"Where did you aim the second shot?" asked Ivy.

"To the center of her head," Beckrich said as he lowered his eyes to the ground for a long pause, his jaw muscles tensing. "She died. She fell forward."
    Bedroom was empty

Beckrich said he then went looking for Tom Everson to "wound" him to keep the Vietnam veteran from chasing them. When Beckrich found the bedroom empty, he said he fled to the Caravan parked about 2 miles north of the Everson home. They met up and left.

Under cross-examination, the defense asked Beckrich if he meant to kill Nancy Everson when he went looking for her. Beckrich said he didn't want to kill her.

Defense attorney Brian Moss said Beckrich's statement about Grant Everson's praise and that, "Grant had said something to the effect of, 'A chunk of the brain hit me,' " were not divulged to authorities until after Beckrich reached a plea agreement in which he would be convicted of lesser charges in exchange for testifying against his friend.

His father, Matt Beckrich, said to reporters as he left the courthouse: "We just wanted to say that we pray for all of the families involved in this tragedy and for healing, particularly for Mr. Everson and his family's healing and for our son, Joel, who we love and support."

The case could go to the jury for deliberation as early as Wednesday afternoon.

Chao Xiong • 612-673-4391 • [email protected]

©2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Thats terrible, she should be hanged

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

This is a horrible tragedy, but I don't want this to turn into a death penalty controversy so I'm locking this one up before people do get offended.