Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: MN Bridge collapse

"SKOL" wrote:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/nation_world/story/657354.html

"Reports issued by the Minnesota Department of Transportation over the past decade have detailed problems with the bridge. In 1997, the department noted problems with the approach spans on both ends of the bridge, including "cracks ... in the cross girder at the end of the approach spans." In a 2001 report, department engineers said that the bridge's deck truss "has not experienced fatigue cracking, but it has many poor fatigue details on the main truss and floor truss system."

But that report concluded that the bridge "should not have any problems with fatigue cracking in the foreseeable future." As a result, they wrote, the department "does not need to prematurely replace this bridge because of fatigue cracking, avoiding the high costs associated with such a large project."

My guess is that there'll be stricter safety inspections and evaluations of all US bridges in the future.
    I also personally doubt that the collapse coinciding with minor construction is unrelated, as has been stated.
    Someone's probably just trying to cover themselves.
    I either heard on news, or read elsewhere, that the vibration of jackhammers could have contributed.

I don't think they had jacks on the bridge though.
    All they were doing was a minor resurfacing, which is about as damaging as paint.
    Besides, the vibration from semis hitting the bridge is a lot stronger than a jack could ever produce.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    They said the bridge was given a clean bill of health three years ago.
    By whom?
    A team of drunks?
    How could they miss the kind of structural defects that would contribute to a collapse of this magnitude???
    Way to jump to conclusions, Caj.

=Z=
    Way to defend your fellow drunks, Zeus!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Please make donations to the Red Cross or some other organization, if you can.
    Or give blood...it is what they are calling for most!

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    They said the bridge was given a clean bill of health three years ago.
    By whom?
    A team of drunks?
    How could they miss the kind of structural defects that would contribute to a collapse of this magnitude???
    Way to jump to conclusions, Caj.

=Z=
    there's a lot of investigating to be done on this but I don't think the guys would have been that slap-happy in doing the inspection. Wonder what has been done since then that has undermined its integrity

http://www.newsobserver.com/nation_world/story/657354.html

"Reports issued by the Minnesota Department of Transportation over the past decade have detailed problems with the bridge. In 1997, the department noted problems with the approach spans on both ends of the bridge, including "cracks ... in the cross girder at the end of the approach spans." In a 2001 report, department engineers said that the bridge's deck truss "has not experienced fatigue cracking, but it has many poor fatigue details on the main truss and floor truss system."

But that report concluded that the bridge "should not have any problems with fatigue cracking in the foreseeable future." As a result, they wrote, the department "does not need to prematurely replace this bridge because of fatigue cracking, avoiding the high costs associated with such a large project."

OK, I was wrong...it wasn't drunks...it was moneygrubbers that are to blame!
    >

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

This is just unbelievable.
    I was glued to the tv last night watching the coverage on this.
    Makes me feel so outta touch with the state that I grew up in.

My family as far as I know is ok.
    I still can't get a hold of a couple of my relatives, but I'm thinking I would have heard something by now if something had happened.

Lance recognized the bridge from the few times we've driven on it while being in Minnesota.
    Its just mind boggling to think how badly this is going to affect every one in the metro.

My thoughts and prayers are out to those involved in this tragedy.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

MN., is not alone.
    Here in Connecticut, we've also had our share of nightmares on Construction sites, and structures.

Here are a few.

Construction Disasters
    Name Place Date Sources
    Hartford Civic Center Roof Collapse Hartford, CT January 18, 1978 Hartford Courant
    L'Ambiance Plaza Collapse Bridgeport, CT
    April 23, 1987 Hartford Courant
    Mianus River Bridge Collapse Greenwich, CT
    July 28, 1983 Hartford Courant ; New York

The Civic Center had just emptyed out from a Uconn Huskies Basketball game. I don't recall any deaths being reported.

L'Ambiance was a nightmare, many workers where on their lunch break, just sitting around.
    They where doing a job called slab jacking.
    The top floors hydrolics failed, acting like the twin towers, just colapsed like a pile of pancakes....If I remember right, close to 30 died.

Much the same as in MN, the Mianus bridge collapesed without warning.
    Thank God it wasn't at rush hour, but still people died, it was said that because of the slight incline approaching the bridge, it was hard for some to see the bridge was no longer there even, till it was to late.
    It was reported, some people just drove right off into air, not seeing the bridge had collapsed....

Truly all tragedys........

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I just got on here and didn't want to go through all 11 pages of talk, so I will just respond now.. I saw this on the news here in Wisconsin yesterday.. I pray for all of you that live in Minnesota, or that may have family in Minnesota.. This is a huge tragedy, and I hope the Minnesota people can rebound quickly..

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Having been on many bridges in my life as well as the bridge in question numeruous times, I will not go over another bridge without a thought about this tragic event. It is truly unfortunate. I find it hard to place blame at a moment like this, there will be many questions asked over the coming days and weeks, such as "why" and "how", and hopefully standards will change so as to eliminate any future catastrophes.

And yes for the folks involved it is tragic, but talk of suing and "having to pay for this", it just isn't the right time, right now,IMO. Tragedies happen every day (unfortunatley), whether in the form of natural disaster or man-made structures failing, there is a tremendous amount of infrastructure in the US, I cannot imagine how hard it would be to investigate every structure. I am not condoning anything that anyone did or didn't do, this is tragic, it just is a little upsetting to me to read a bunch of angry posts, when none of us know what happened for sure.

I saw an engineer on CNN that said he is totally puzzled at the way in which the bridge totally collapsed almost instaneously. He was baffled and said he can't understand why the whole bridge buckled and not one of the approachs leading into a slower collapse of the rest of the bridge in stages. I may have screwed up his interpretation a little but that was the gist of it.

Minnesota and Minneapolis is one of my favorite spots in the world, i love visiting there and will do for the rest of my life, the people are wonderful and very friendly. Many reports have stated that the people of Minneapolis and area have been rallying together in this event, I for one am not surprised at all, good on you Minnesota.

Kudos to the rescuers from civilians to the police to the FD and the hospital staffs, you are all truly heros.

All sincerity, CanadaViking

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

This is the best video I found that shows the bridge actually collapsing;

http://www.cnn.com/video/

Click the link on that page that says "Video captures bridge collapse "

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    This is the best video I found that shows the bridge actually collapsing;

http://www.cnn.com/video/