Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Minnesota bars beat smoking ban

MAPLEWOOD, Minn. - All the world's a stage at some of Minnesota's bars. A new state ban on smoking in restaurants and other nightspots contains an exception for performers in theatrical productions. So some bars are getting around the ban by printing up playbills, encouraging customers to come in costume, and pronouncing them "actors."

The customers are playing right along, merrily puffing away — and sometimes speaking in funny accents and doing a little improvisation, too.

The state Health Department is threatening to bring the curtain down on these sham productions. But for now, it's on with the show.......
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080306/ap_on_fe_st/smoking_ban_loophole

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Minnesota bars beat smoking ban

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    MAPLEWOOD, Minn. - All the world's a stage at some of Minnesota's bars. A new state ban on smoking in restaurants and other nightspots contains an exception for performers in theatrical productions. So some bars are getting around the ban by printing up playbills, encouraging customers to come in costume, and pronouncing them "actors."

The customers are playing right along, merrily puffing away — and sometimes speaking in funny accents and doing a little improvisation, too.

The state Health Department is threatening to bring the curtain down on these sham productions. But for now, it's on with the show.......
    I love it.
    It's a stupid law put in place by stupid people to stop smoking.
    I'm sure it won't be long before more stupid people make another stupid law to stop it though.

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

I
    don't smoke, but i dislike this law, and Illinois has the ban also. I might try to see if that exemption exists here also.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

First story about this loophole appeared at least a month ago.
    I've already read stories about closing it.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i don't mind the smoking ban in restaurants, even with smoking sections you still always smell the smoke and it does get rather annoying.
    The smoking ban on bars is pretty stupid tho imo.. smoking and drinking almost comes hand in hand lol, if i'm around a lot of drinking i pretty much expect to be around smoking.
    If you can't take it don't go to a bar

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

There is a smoking ban in all public establishments in Alberta.
    I can honestly say it's awesome.

Granted I don't smoke, but everyone I know loves going to the bar/club/restaurant and remain able to breathe without the toxins in the air.
    It' great coming home and not smelling like cigarettes.

It's a huge here.
    I personally think it's stupid that it's still legal to poison others with secondhand smoke in the US and other parts of Canada.
    I have no sympathy for people who destroy their own health and wonder why people resent them for increasing the cost of Health Care...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Well I can say as a smoker that I don't mind laws like that, there has been a ban here in BC since 2001.
    Restaurants are better to be in with the cleaner air and I don't smoke in my house and haven't for 15 years, so if I need to I'll go outside.
    I don't find it to be that big a deal and did notice when I was in Saskatchewan in 03 the smell in the restaurants was smokey and I didn't like it.
    When I travel I also get a nonsmoking room and will go outside when I need too (well want to).
    Last fall when I was in Calgary the hotel I was in was 100% smoke free.
    I guess over the years I have become conditioned to my environment, kinda like the way the colours green and yellow together make me want to kick a Mississippi hillbilly.

A ban has been in effect out here in Ca for awhile now. I don't smoke. Came out last year for the 'Vikes/pack game and went to "Majors." Came out of there smelling like a 6 month old ashtray. Was stuffed up and felt bad for 3 days. Don't know how bartenders were able to take it. I'll bet alot of those workers have been feeling muuuch better lately. How some bars out here get around it is by making the joint "private" clubs. You have to pay a small membership fee to get in.
    Tuco the world.....

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

The voters narrowly passed a referendum in Washington State banning smoking in all business and public buildings.
    While I agree smoking is a health hazard, I disagree with the government telling business owners they can't allow smoking in THEIR establishment.
    If the customers and potential employees don't like smoking, don't go/work there.
    And don't lay that line of crap about "poor employees have to work there..."
    That's BS.
    The food and beverage line of work is a high movement industry.
    These kind of laws annoy me...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

PacNW that is exactly my thoughts on these things.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast