Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Minneapolis' Top Five Athletes

Honorable Mentions: Justin Morneau ... Marian Gaborik ... Matt Birk ... and in terms of just pure fan love: Derek Boogaard (Wild), Boof Bonser (Twins) and any University of Minnesota hockey player who either overachieves or doesn't turn pro when he has the chance.

My favorite here is the one about the university of Minnesota hockey players!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Minneapolis' Top Five Athletes

I'll take this guy #1

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=926426

University of Minnesota senior wrestler Cole Konrad has been named the Big Ten - Jesse Owens Male Athlete of the Year, the conference office announced today. The award is the highest honor an athlete can receive from the Big Ten Conference.

Konrad beat out the likes of Ohio State’s 2006 Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith, Penn State’s All-American linebacker Paul Posluszny and Wisconsin’s 2007 Big Ten Player of the Year Alando Tucker.

Konrad is just the fourth athlete from the University of Minnesota to earn Big Ten – Jesse Owens Athlete of the Year honors since the award was instituted in 1982. He is the first Golden Gopher athlete to win the award since wrestler Damion Hahn won it in 2004. Gymnast John Roethlisberger was the first Minnesota athlete to earn the award in 1983, while Jordan Leopold was honored after leading the hockey team to a national title in 2002. Swimmer Gretchen Hegener won the Suzy Favor Female Athlete of the Year award in 1997.

Arguably the greatest wrestler in school history, Konrad capped off his brilliant career with his second straight individual national title in leading the Golden Gophers to their third NCAA championship in the last seven years. He became just the fourth Minnesota wrestler to win multiple NCAA titles and the fifth to earn All-America honors four times in a career.

Not even Brock Lesnar could do what he did. Absolute stud.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12