Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Minneapolis' Top Five Athletes

[size=13pt]City's Best: Minneapolis' Top Five Athletes[/size]

Posted Jun 21st 2007 2:00PM
    by Michael Rand
    sports.aol.com

FanHouse is posting the top five current athletes for America's top 20 sporting cities (see: City's Best). With a nod to Dan Steinberg, our three criteria are: 1) What would a Minneapolis-St. Paul sports fan say is his or her favorite local athlete? 2) Would the player's name be familiar to someone who doesn't follow sports or only follows local sports casually? 3) Would the player be recognized walking down the street?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Minneapolis' Top Five Athletes

"singersp" wrote:

by Michael Rand
    sports.aol.com

FanHouse is posting the top five current athletes for America's top 20 sporting cities (see: City's Best). With a nod to Dan Steinberg, our three criteria are: 1) What would a Minneapolis-St. Paul sports fan say is his or her favorite local athlete? 2) Would the player's name be familiar to someone who doesn't follow sports or only follows local sports casually? 3) Would the player be recognized walking down the street?

5. Adrian Peterson -- Instantly became the Vikings' most recognizable player when the RB was drafted No. 7 overall. People here are so in love with his potential that it's ridiculous. But it's probably wise to let the fans salivate for now. He's a legitimate reason to be excited about the offense; that didn't exist last year.
    ok im tired of the dick riding wit adrian peterson he hasnt done nothing yet. get off his balls
    please. let him rush for 1500 yards first.. how is he a top athlete an he aint do shit yet??

"SharperImage" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

by Michael Rand
    sports.aol.com

5. Adrian Peterson -- Instantly became the Vikings' most recognizable player when the RB was drafted No. 7 overall. People here are so in love with his potential that it's ridiculous. But it's probably wise to let the fans salivate for now. He's a legitimate reason to be excited about the offense; that didn't exist last year.
    ok im tired of the dick riding wit adrian peterson he hasnt done nothing yet. get off his balls
    please. let him rush for 1500 yards first.. how is he a top athlete an he aint do shit yet??
    Read his judging criteria again.

1) What would a Minneapolis-St. Paul sports fan say is his or her favorite local athlete?

2) Would the player's name be familiar to someone who doesn't follow sports or only follows local sports casually?

3) Would the player be recognized walking down the street?

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Makes sense to me...I may put The Big Ticket...KG at the top though

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

by Michael Rand
    sports.aol.com

Read his judging criteria again.

1) What would a Minneapolis-St. Paul sports fan say is his or her favorite local athlete?

2) Would the player's name be familiar to someone who doesn't follow sports or only follows local sports casually?

3) Would the player be recognized walking down the street?
    Even though I only follow the Vikings closely, and the rest of the teams from a distance I know the names of all of those players, that has got to count for something.

I started following the Twins a bit more though. And it's all due to members on this site talking about them all the time. I never really followed baseball before. And the time of the games makes it often impossible to really see some action from over here.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

PacMan21 is offline Starter

I agree with the list. KG could be #1, but that is probably the only one that I think is debatable. Both are great athletes though.

Thanks for the sig PurplePeopleEaters

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:

by Michael Rand
    sports.aol.com

Seriously....7 foot skinny guy with a goatee and bald head walking down the street in Minneapolis.

I can tell you it is not me, Webby, Singer, Zeus, or BLV.
    Must be the Big Ticket....KG

I would have thought Birk would have made the list. Playing for the Vikings as long as he has, owning a restaurant & being seen on commercials should have qualified him.

But baseball is a lot longer season, a lot more games & viewed by more people during the season, so it's easy to understand why 3 of them are Minnesota Twins.

If you were talking "All Time" atheletes, that list could include;

Tarkenton
    Moss
    Puckett
    Killebrew
    Cris Carter
    Page

Bud Grant, while he was an athelete, was known more in Minnesota for his coaching, than his playing.

And Jesse "The Body" Ventura could make the list if you consider pro wrestlers as atheletes.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    I would have thought Birk would have made the list. Playing for the Vikings as long as he has, owning a restaurant & being seen on commercials should have qualified him.

But baseball is a lot longer season, a lot more games & viewed by more people during the season, so it's easy to understand why 3 of them are Minnesota Twins.

If you were talking "All Time" atheletes, that list could include;

Tarkenton
    Moss
    Puckett
    Killebrew
    Cris Carter
    Page

Bud Grant, while he was an athelete, was known more in Minnesota for his coaching, than his playing.

And Jesse "The Body" Ventura could make the list if you consider pro wrestlers as atheletes.
    George Miken

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"PacMan21" wrote:
    I agree with the list. KG could be #1, but that is probably the only one that I think is debatable. Both are great athletes though.
    Joe Mauer is #1.
    KG is #2.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast