Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gpete13 is offline Starter

Mike Williams screwed by the NCAA

This might actually be the best thing for him. One less year of getting hit around, much less chance of getting hurt, and next year he'll be set up as possible the Number 1 overall since he didnt have an injury or a bad season.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"gpete13" wrote:
    This might actually be the best thing for him. One less year of getting hit around, much less chance of getting hurt, and next year he'll be set up as possible the Number 1 overall since he didnt have an injury or a bad season.

He most likely would have been around the 8th pick this year but with out playing and with a new crop of wide receivers to look at mid to late 1st round (what ahve you done for me lately is the rule in the NFL).
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

The NCAA should have told him a lot sooner than one week before the season starts. I can understand why pete carroll is so upset. They probably figured he would not be reinstated but to have the NCAA not tell them until now is absurd. USC is still ranked #1 without their two best players from last year though.. udeze and williams.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"whackthepack" wrote:
    He got bad advice and should not have applied for the draft, the NFL has way to many good lawyers to F*** with.

With the last pick in the 1st round of the 2005 NFL draft the reigning superbowl champions, the Minnesota Viking pick wide receiver Mike Williams!

(crowd goes wild) :cheers:

I wouldn't have called it bad advice. He was clearly one of the best players in the draft, when he actually was one of them. If he stayed in school for another year, what would he have gained? He is already ready for the NFL, so another year in college might just give him a severe injury. Good advice to tell him to go get the money now, when he is still healthy. I would call the advice clarrett got, bad advice. He was a 3rd or 4th round pick at best.

Williams was a top 10 pick, the league told him he could enter, and then he is told he can't. What is he suppose to do? The NCAA made a huge mistake on this one. The kid did what anyone in his situation would have done, and he gets punished for it. Williams is a great kid too, so I feel bad for him. Clarrett on the other hand, can rot in hell.

It will now be very hard for him to sit out a year, and still be a top 10 pick in next years draft.

Here is my senerio for the vikes getting him. 4th round pick, mewelde moore, plays great this year in the little PT he gets. He makes it clear he is a very capable NFL back and allows us to trade one of our RB's. The vikes end up trading one of their 2 RB's that will only have a year left on their contracts, onterrio and bennett. I would bet that with onterrio's drug problem, he gets traded. With the draft pick we get for onterrio, we are able to move up in the draft and get mike williams, the WR we have been looking for to compliment Moss. Man that would be sweet. Unfortunately, I would bet a good deal of money that we draft a young O-lineman in next years draft. Mark my words here guys. Williams would be a dream to have though.

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    [quote]"whackthepack" wrote:
    He got bad advice and should not have applied for the draft, the NFL has way to many good lawyers to F*** with.

With the last pick in the 1st round of the 2005 NFL draft the reigning superbowl champions, the Minnesota Viking pick wide receiver Mike Williams!

(crowd goes wild) :cheers:

I wouldn't have called it bad advice. He was clearly one of the best players in the draft, when he actually was one of them. If he stayed in school for another year, what would he have gained? He is already ready for the NFL, so another year in college might just give him a severe injury. Good advice to tell him to go get the money now, when he is still healthy. I would call the advice clarrett got, bad advice. He was a 3rd or 4th round pick at best.

Williams was a top 10 pick, the league told him he could enter, and then he is told he can't. What is he suppose to do? The NCAA made a huge mistake on this one. The kid did what anyone in his situation would have done, and he gets punished for it. Williams is a great kid too, so I feel bad for him. Clarrett on the other hand, can rot in hell.

It will now be very hard for him to sit out a year, and still be a top 10 pick in next years draft.

Muchluv the NFL was telling Clarrett (agree he is a moron and should rot in hell, don't think he will ever be a factor in the NFL) that he couldn't enter the draft.

The people around Williams were to quick to believe that Clarrett would win against the NFL, they have a lot of sway and damn good lawyers (the only person to bet them on a regular bases is Al Davis). Williams is a hell of a receiver but I don't think he will go that high (my opinion) in next years draft (the NFL has a short memory when it comes to prospects).

Muchluv the NFL was telling Clarrett (agree he is a moron and should rot in hell, don't think he will ever be a factor in the NFL) that he couldn't enter the draft.

The people around Williams were to quick to believe that Clarrett would win against the NFL, they have a lot of sway and damn good lawyers (the only person to bet them on a regular bases is Al Davis). Williams is a hell of a receiver but I don't think he will go that high (my opinion) in next years draft (the NFL has a short memory when it comes to prospects).[/quote]

True, but williams didn't officially enter the draft until the judge ruled that clarett and others were elligible for the draft. He also waited until it was said that the case would not be heard again in court until after the draft was over and it was too late for him and clarrett. Then a few days before the draft, it is overturned. I think mike williams did all the right things in his situation.

I agree that he will now suffer and probably won't be drafted as high, since he will be sitting out for a year, but I still feel he did the right thing by entering the draft, when the ruling was suppose to be upheld until at least after the draft.

I agree that he is being punished for nothing that he did wrong!!!!!! But I am saying that even after the judge ruled I was discussing it with friends I said that the NFL would win. They should have taken into account all the outcomes.

"whackthepack" wrote:
    I agree that he is being punished for nothing that he did wrong!!!!!! But I am saying that even after the judge ruled I was discussing it with friends I said that the NFL would win. They should have taken into account all the outcomes.

I also knew the NFL would win, but there wasn't suppose to be a ruling before the draft. It was suppose to come weeks or even months after the draft, and that might have been the reasoning that he entered. Also everybody expected the NCAA to allow williams back in, since he did nothing wrong and is back in classes at USC. Because 1) the ruling wasn't suppose to happen until after the draft, and 2) everyone expected the NCAA to allow williams back, not clarrett though, these are the 2 reasons why I say he did make the right descision to enter the draft. He was just screwed by the NCAA, who everyone admits was wrong in not letting him back. I feel bad for the kid, he is a great kid and this will hurt his draft position. Hopefully it hurts it enough for the vikes to have a shot at drafting him, because he will be a great WR in the NFL, definitely better than any WR's in this draft class, which says a lot.

DoubleDown11 is offline Pro-Bowler

I think the NCAA has sour grapes over the NBA stealing all of the high schoolers. This is their opportunity to put their foot down.
    They were also trying to make NCAA football look legit, since NCAA football has to be the easiest sport to try and fix the outcome!
    something witty and comical... followed by genuine sarcasm.

"gpete13" wrote:
    This is the worst thing for him. Its hard to take that much time off than jump up to the most elite leauge and pick up were he left off. Im not saying he cant do it because he probably will. It will just take more work not as an easy transition as it could have been.

Im pretty sure teams intrested in him would rather have him play this season and risk injry than not play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12