Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft rant

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Microsoft rant

"Tad7" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    If Macs are so good, why do they have such low sales?
    That's my question too. I'm not being a smartass..I just always hear that they're so much better from people who own them yet it doesn't seem to transfer over into sales. Is it a matter of cost?
    because they realized they dropped twice the money on half the computer, and need to convince themselves and others that its truly a superior product.

For example, I configured my thinkpad, with 2.5GHz, 6MBL2, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NVidia graphics and a better screen, cost me $1500 (during a sale, but was like $1900 normally).
    It runs like a champ, and I even have Vista (64 bit) and I almost never have any issues, freezeups, BSOD's or bugs.
    It runs anything and everything I've tried to make it run.

a Mac with similar (note I said similar, because last I checked, MacBooks can't get thos specs) specs costs almost $3,000.
    (hardware has changed since then, so I can't compare anymore)

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    If Macs are so good, why do they have such low sales?
    $$$$$$$$$$$

CaPM is offline Training Camp

The problem with Microsoft is that they are so large that one side seems to continually step on the other side's toes, usually the business side rushing/forcing the creative side in the name of staying competitive in a quickly shifting market.
    Remember that until recently, Apple had the luxury of writing their operating systems solely for their own proprietary hardware and 'authorized' 3rd party software.
    The root cause of most of the serious windows issues is Driver compatibility, both with the specific device, and its interplay with others installed around it.
    Add in crazy malicious virus writers and shitty 3rd party programmers, and you have a lot of factors out of their control that are messing with their OS.
    MS os's have to run on EVERYTHING, support any crackpot's software, and be amenable to any task.
    If you look at the totality of the windows usage spectrum (business pc's, home pc's, high end workstations, point of sale terminals, machine controllers, myriad servers, etc. etc. etc.), it really puts their 'bugs' into perspective.
    As soon as Apple dipped their toes into the mainstream hardware pool to try and cut costs, they ran into the same issues (huge spike in OS issues, as previously mentioned here with Leopard).
    The other piece of this that Apple is starting to have to contend with is that the size of their user population is directory proportional to how many assholes are actively writing virus/spyware apps to screw with them.
    As Mac's increased their share, the appearance of Mac-specific viruses increased as well.

Now, I have to qualify this by saying that I'm an IT consultant specializing in Microsoft implementations, but I've played in the Mac and multi-distro linux(unix)
    arenas, and I have to say all said and done I much prefer windows.
    Properly configured, the stability and usefulness is just as good as any other platform.
    Better than Mac, because if there is something I don't like I can change it easily to suit my tastes.
    And unlike Linux, I'm not backed into a narrow wedge of open-source software and mediocre drivers (not to mention a generally stagnant product once released, depending on the distro).
    Part of this stems from the market realities after years of their dominance, I agree,
    but being a MS partner and being exposed to ALL their technologies, I have to say that they are definitely still stocked with creative, talented, forward thinking developers who continue to drive technological advancement.
    Do I disagree with much of their business practices?
    Certainly.
    Did they rush Vista to sale, then try to force it on the consumer?
    Definitely.
    But I will also say that I've been running Vista since day 1 with zero problems, and I ask a LOT of my operating systems.

Apple can run their smug ads proclaiming how much better their OS is, but remember that a lot of that ‘stability’ comes from forcing the user into their scheme, vs. allowing you to adjust the tool to your specifications.
    They look pretty, but after 20 minutes of using one I’m ready to put my fist through the monitor…

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"CaPM" wrote:
    The problem with Microsoft is that they are so large that one side seems to continually step on the other side's toes, usually the business side rushing/forcing the creative side in the name of staying competitive in a quickly shifting market.
    Remember that until recently, Apple had the luxury of writing their operating systems solely for their own proprietary hardware and 'authorized' 3rd party software.
    The root cause of most of the serious windows issues is Driver compatibility, both with the specific device, and its interplay with others installed around it.
    Add in crazy malicious virus writers and poohie 3rd party programmers, and you have a lot of factors out of their control that are messing with their OS.
    MS os's have to run on EVERYTHING, support any crackpot's software, and be amenable to any task.
    If you look at the totality of the windows usage spectrum (business pc's, home pc's, high end workstations, point of sale terminals, machine controllers, myriad servers, etc. etc. etc.), it really puts their 'bugs' into perspective.
    As soon as Apple dipped their toes into the mainstream hardware pool to try and cut costs, they ran into the same issues (huge spike in OS issues, as previously mentioned here with Leopard).
    The other piece of this that Apple is starting to have to contend with is that the size of their user population is directory proportional to how many donkey butts are actively writing virus/spyware apps to screw with them.
    As Mac's increased their share, the appearance of Mac-specific viruses increased as well.

Now, I have to qualify this by saying that I'm an IT consultant specializing in Microsoft implementations, but I've played in the Mac and multi-distro linux(unix)
    arenas, and I have to say all said and done I much prefer windows.
    Properly configured, the stability and usefulness is just as good as any other platform.
    Better than Mac, because if there is something I don't like I can change it easily to suit my tastes.
    And unlike Linux, I'm not backed into a narrow wedge of open-source software and mediocre drivers (not to mention a generally stagnant product once released, depending on the distro).
    Part of this stems from the market realities after years of their dominance, I agree,
    but being a MS partner and being exposed to ALL their technologies, I have to say that they are definitely still stocked with creative, talented, forward thinking developers who continue to drive technological advancement.
    Do I disagree with much of their business practices?
    Certainly.
    Did they rush Vista to sale, then try to force it on the consumer?
    Definitely.
    But I will also say that I've been running Vista since day 1 with zero problems, and I ask a LOT of my operating systems.

Apple can run their smug ads proclaiming how much better their OS is, but remember that a lot of that ‘stability’ comes from forcing the user into their scheme, vs. allowing you to adjust the tool to your specifications.
    They look pretty, but after 20 minutes of using one I’m ready to put my fist through the monitor…
    Excellent post.

The arguement/discussion is silly IMHO.
    If your a power user you would probably default to MAC. If you are a lame yutz who uses a computer because you have to, you would probably default to IBM

I for one, believe my help desk personnel would hate life if everyone we support went to MAC.
    The line would be long for monitor replacement.
    ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Macs are made to match outfits.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

CaPM is offline Training Camp

"Marrdro" wrote:

If your a power user you would probably default to MAC. If you are a lame yutz who uses a computer because you have to, you would probably default to IBM
    I have a very large client base of power users (App Development, BI, Systems management, and on and on....)who would dispute that, myself included.
    I guarantee I can do more with my Windows machines than any Mac, by the very nature of their design.
    The only arena I'll cede to you is graphics design, and there mostly because a lot of the artistic folks that get into it don't want to learn how to use computers, they just want easy access to their editors.
    Once you leave the 2D realm and get into 3D rendering, you're back in windows territory again.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"CaPM" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I have a very large client base of power users (App Development, BI, Systems management, and on and on....)who would dispute that, myself included.
    I guarantee I can do more with my Windows machines than any Mac, by the very nature of their design.
    The only arena I'll cede to you is graphics design, and there mostly because a lot of the artistic folks that get into it don't want to learn how to use computers, they just want easy access to their editors.
    Once you leave the 2D realm and get into 3D rendering, you're back in windows territory again.
    Point taken.

Most of my "Customers" that want MAC are not your traditional "Point and Click" people.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"CaPM" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I have to agree.
    I don't have numbers, but I'd estimate probably close to 80-90% of business users want to use PCs, since their software and needs are compatable.
    The only businesses I've seen running Macs are small businesses, ran buy a guy who likes Macs, or design companies.
    I worked a summer job in the IT department for my city, and 99% of the computers are PC's, the only macs they use are in the graphics design offices, where they design ID cards, banners, signs, etc.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

really unless you are doing alot of graphics works ect. Macs are the only real advantage tat i have seen.
    I think they do have some user friendly advatages as well, but that is really about it.

Blog Entries

"Garland" wrote:
    really unless you are doing alot of graphics works ect. Macs are the only real advantage tat i have seen.
    I think they do have some user friendly advatages as well, but that is really about it.
    Its not very user friendly if I have to search google to find out how to take a screenshot.
    I'll give them a built in virtual drive and thats probably it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast