Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Men Smarter Than Women Scientist Claims

Men Smarter Than Women Scientist Claims

Jeanna Bryner
    LiveScience Staff Writer

Men are smarter than women, according to a controversial new study that adds another cinder to the fiery debate over whether gender impacts general intelligence.

"For 100 years there's been a consensus among psychologists that there is no sex difference in intelligence," said J. Philippe Rushton, a psychologist at the University of Western Ontario, Canada.

Recent studies, however, have raised questions about the validity of this claim, he said. One such study showed that men have larger brains than women, a 100 gram difference after correcting for body size. Rushton found similar results in a study of gender and brain size.

To determine if there was a link between gender and intelligence, and perhaps between brain size and intelligence, Rushton and a colleague analyzed the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores from 100,000 17- and 18-year-olds.

When Rushton and colleagues weighted each SAT question by an established general intelligence factor called the g-factor, they discovered that males surpassed females by an average of 3.6 IQ points...
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060908/sc_space/mensmarterthanwomenscientistclaims
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Men Smarter Than Women Scientist Claims

What an assassine study and conclusion.
    First of all, they are not using a measure of intelligence in the study.
    They are using a measure of aptitude, and one that has increasingly come under fir for being a poor predictor of academic achievement.
    THe fact is we can't say if any sex, race, nationality, or whatever else is more intelligent than any other because we still lack an acceptable measure of intelligence than can be equally applied accross the board.
    The Staford-Binet and WISC tests are pretty good, but even they acknowledge that there will always be bias based on the representative sample (in both cases middle class english speaking americans).
    They also only take into account specific types of intelligence, giving no weight to things like interpersonal intelligence, cultural intelligence, or artistic intelligence (sometimes called creativity).
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I hate these stupid claims. We also had a professor in the psycology dep. at my university not long ago, who claimed gender diferences in intelligense.

I can make studies and construct them in a way that makes either women or men smarter than the opposite sex, anytime I wan't. And the fact of the matter is that there is really no significant diference.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    I hate these stupid claims. We also had a professor in the psycology dep. at my university not long ago, who claimed gender diferences in intelligense.

I can make studies and construct them in a way that makes either women or men smarter than the opposite sex, anytime I wan't. And the fact of the matter is that there is really no significant diference.

Cojo,

I just read your post, and don't get it....Could you explain it to me please?... ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Why are people spending money to do studies on stupid crap like this.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Why spend time and money to theorize something we already knew?
    ;D

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

If this guy is married, or has a serious girlfriend, he has disproven his own theory.

It was stupid to claim this: no nookie for Dr. Smarty-Pants...

lol
    -Sno

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Cojo,

I just read your post, and don't get it....Could you explain it to me please?... ;D
    Study says you're smarter than your wife..... real life test is are you going to tell your wife that or be smart enough to slowly walk away from this thread

All I know is my wife is smarter than me and she keeps me healthy, tells me what to eat, know how to spend the money and most important she knows when I'll get lucky ;D

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

It's not how big your brain is that matters, its how you use it.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Women seem to somehow win in the end.
    It's all Eve's fault

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast