Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Math Question

  1. #1
    Del Rio Guest

    Math Question

    Ok I know someone on this site must be a math genious. So here goes. I am in charge of making a work list that will run for six months.

    There are 12 guys, who will be working in groups of 2. And they will need to be in a different group every month (not grouped with the same people twice.)

    That is fine and dandy, but the hospital has 6 floors, so not only do I need every group to be different each month I need each person to get the opportunity to work on each floor.

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    I was thinking I would let each letter of the alphabet equal a person so you have

    A B C D E F G H I J K L------------REPRESENTS EACH PERSON 12 TOTAL.

    So if you draw a grid out 6months down the side- the floors over the top. and you start grouping the letters together.....AB, CD......so on it equals a huge pain in the azz. I have gotten 5 months done and 5 floors where no one is grouped together twice, and no one is on the same floor. But it is looking like there is only one possible solution to the problem.

    So does anyone know an equation, a web site for an equation, or anything. $50.00 reward for the correct answer or a source that can help me get the right answer.

  2. #2
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: Math Question

    ..... wow thats pretty tough.


    A+B+C=Nothing I know how to do, math is not for me.

    I actually tried this, I made a microsoft excel spread sheet, and tried doing it like that, but no luck.

  3. #3
    muchluv4smoot's Avatar
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: Math Question

    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Ok I know someone on this site must be a math genious. So here goes. I am in charge of making a work list that will run for six months.

    There are 12 guys, who will be working in groups of 2. And they will need to be in a different group every month (not grouped with the same people twice.)

    That is fine and dandy, but the hospital has 6 floors, so not only do I need every group to be different each month I need each person to get the opportunity to work on each floor.

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    I was thinking I would let each letter of the alphabet equal a person so you have

    A B C D E F G H I J K L------------REPRESENTS EACH PERSON 12 TOTAL.

    So if you draw a grid out 6months down the side- the floors over the top. and you start grouping the letters together.....AB, CD......so on it equals a huge pain in the azz. I have gotten 5 months done and 5 floors where no one is grouped together twice, and no one is on the same floor. But it is looking like there is only one possible solution to the problem.

    So does anyone know an equation, a web site for an equation, or anything. $50.00 reward for the correct answer or a source that can help me get the right answer.


    OK, this is right up my alley, being a mathematics major. I will work on it for you when I have a chance.

  4. #4
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Math Question

    "Mr Anderson" wrote:
    ..... wow thats pretty tough.


    A+B+C=Nothing I know how to do, math is not for me.

    I actually tried this, I made a microsoft excel spread sheet, and tried doing it like that, but no luck.
    I have been dicking with this for 2 days and I am not sure it is even possible at this point. At least it is not possible the way I am doing it. I gave it a shot on excel too LOL, that failed.


    Muchluv, I appreciate it man.

  5. #5
    TroyWilliamson is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    204

    Re: Math Question

    i gave it a shot, no luck.

  6. #6
    ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    444

    Re: Math Question

    What you have here is an exercise in logic (propositional or predicate logic, i forgot the difference) so excel is going to be a huge waste of time. You can write all the IF and NOT relationships into the formula, but it's going to be trial and error (probably more error than you want) and cause for a huge headache.

    If you want to use an MS office computer program, use Access. Its scripting language, SQL, is appropriate to this relational problem. You can use SQL place logical conditions on the relationships between different cases (i.e., A, B, C...). I'm certain it can be done, but the time investment in it might be more than doing it by hand (but probably less than using excell's formula thing). But if you have to do this sort of exercise again, heck it probably is worth coming up with a logical expression that will sort out all the relationships you need to create. At the very least, using Access just to create your matrix might be a huge help too.

    If you're not a fan of learning Access, you might want to search SQL in google and see if there's a site where all the SQL brainiacs share their solutions to questions like yours.

  7. #7
    ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    391

    Re: Math Question

    There are 66 different groups of two that you can form from 12 people. Its called Pascal's Triangle, and the formula is =(n!/((n-r)!*r!)) where n is the number of articles, and r is the combinations. In your case, it would go as follows:

    (12!/((12-2)!*2!))
    (479001600/((362880)*2))
    479001600/7257600=66

    Your triangle of combinations looks like this:

    AB BC CD DE EF FG GH HI IJ JK KL
    AC BD CE DF EG FH GI HJ IK JL
    AD BE CF DG EH FI GJ HK IL
    AE BF CG DH EI FJ GK HL
    AF BG CH DI EJ FK GL
    AG BH CI DJ EK FL
    AH BI CJ DK EL
    AI BJ CK DL
    AJ BK CL
    AK BL
    AL

    You have 66 combinations to place in your 36 slot spreadsheet (6 months * 6 floors) with no one working with the same person twice. With a little manipulation, you should be able to get everyone to work every floor twice. If I have some free time at work, I will work on it some more. Untill then, you can google "Pascal's Triangle" for more info...

    Hope this helps.

  8. #8
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,135

    Re: Math Question

    Tough one.

    Caine

  9. #9
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Math Question

    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Ok I know someone on this site must be a math genious. So here goes. I am in charge of making a work list that will run for six months.

    There are 12 guys, who will be working in groups of 2. And they will need to be in a different group every month (not grouped with the same people twice.)

    That is fine and dandy, but the hospital has 6 floors, so not only do I need every group to be different each month I need each person to get the opportunity to work on each floor.

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    I was thinking I would let each letter of the alphabet equal a person so you have

    A B C D E F G H I J K L------------REPRESENTS EACH PERSON 12 TOTAL.

    So if you draw a grid out 6months down the side- the floors over the top. and you start grouping the letters together.....AB, CD......so on it equals a huge pain in the azz. I have gotten 5 months done and 5 floors where no one is grouped together twice, and no one is on the same floor. But it is looking like there is only one possible solution to the problem.

    So does anyone know an equation, a web site for an equation, or anything. $50.00 reward for the correct answer or a source that can help me get the right answer.
    I suppose I could kick out a simple program to do that....

  10. #10
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Math Question

    "ryanmurphy" wrote:
    There are 66 different groups of two that you can form from 12 people. Its called Pascal's Triangle, and the formula is =(n!/((n-r)!*r!)) where n is the number of articles, and r is the combinations. In your case, it would go as follows:

    (12!/((12-2)!*2!))
    (479001600/((362880)*2))
    479001600/7257600=66

    Your triangle of combinations looks like this:

    AB BC CD DE EF FG GH HI IJ JK KL
    AC BD CE DF EG FH GI HJ IK JL
    AD BE CF DG EH FI GJ HK IL
    AE BF CG DH EI FJ GK HL
    AF BG CH DI EJ FK GL
    AG BH CI DJ EK FL
    AH BI CJ DK EL
    AI BJ CK DL
    AJ BK CL
    AK BL
    AL

    You have 66 combinations to place in your 36 slot spreadsheet (6 months * 6 floors) with no one working with the same person twice. With a little manipulation, you should be able to get everyone to work every floor twice. If I have some free time at work, I will work on it some more. Untill then, you can google "Pascal's Triangle" for more info...

    Hope this helps.
    This is exactly what I have been doing, I have that exact list and I have been plugging in the letters into my 36 square spread sheet, the closest I have come is all but 2 squares filled in, but to fill those squares in I would have to manipulate nearly the entire grid perhaps multiple times.

    Is there only one possible solution? Or are there multiple solutions?

    The Closest I have come is

    AB CD EL GH FI JK
    CE FK HJ BI DG AL
    DF AE GK CJ BL (*)
    GJ BH AI FL CK DE
    HI GL BD EK AJ (+)
    KL IJ CF AD EH BG


    (*)On month 3 floor 6 the only possible solution is HI which has been used.
    (+)On Month 5 floor 6 the only possible solution is CF which has been used.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Winfield and the New Math
    By Mike Bullock in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
  2. I did the math: 9-7
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
  3. Cajun math.
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
  4. Beer Math !!
    By CynicalVike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 07:05 AM
  5. New Math Question
    By NeoVikesTX in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 07:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •