Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "Schutz" wrote:

    Although your little chart was dumb, not being able to count back change is really sad.
    But I don't think you can really generalize it into poor teaching without coming off ass a cranky old man saying "back in my day".

  2. #22
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

    Although your little chart was dumb, not being able to count back change is really sad.
    But I don't think you can really generalize it into poor teaching without coming off jiggly butt a cranky old man saying "back in my day".
    No problem, someone has to point out cranky old people.

  3. #23
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "jessejames09" wrote:
    Singer I bet you can't do your kids homework.
    My kids are all grown up now & I did help them with their homework. We taught them some basic math at an early age using real money.

    And no, we didn't use wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes & liberty quarters either.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #24
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,567

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    Singer I bet you can't do your kids homework.
    My kids are all grown up now & I did help them with their homework. We taught them some basic math at an early age using real money.

    And no, we didn't use wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes & liberty quarters either.
    ...but you did walk to school up hill both ways

  5. #25
    litlharsh's Avatar
    litlharsh is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    738

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "Mikecarter81" wrote:
    ROFL!
    That had me in tears!
    It is so true.
    I was helping my sixth grade nephew with his math the other day.
    I was looking for the story problems.
    none nada!
    They don't have them anymore, it was sad.

    Mike
    I know you didn't mean this, but apparently America is one of the few countries which tries to stress purpose and instill concepts with word problems, and consistently lags behind the eastern countries like China, etc. in math scores and people have speculated that it's because they hammer in concepts with pure maths, no story problems, etc.

  6. #26
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    Singer I bet you can't do your kids homework.
    My kids are all grown up now & I did help them with their homework. We taught them some basic math at an early age using real money.

    And no, we didn't use wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes & liberty quarters either.
    ...but you did walk to school up hill both ways
    Nope. That's what my parents told me. I'm not in my 70's people.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #27
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "Mikecarter81" wrote:
    ROFL!
    That had me in tears!
    It is so true.
    I was helping my sixth grade nephew with his math the other day.
    I was looking for the story problems.
    none nada!
    They don't have them anymore
    , it was sad.

    Mike
    That's because they haven't been able to fit them on a hand held calculator yet. LOL!
    :P

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #28
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "singersp" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    Singer I bet you can't do your kids homework.
    My kids are all grown up now & I did help them with their homework. We taught them some basic math at an early age using real money.

    And no, we didn't use wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes & liberty quarters either.
    ...but you did walk to school up hill both ways
    Nope. That's what my parents told me. I'm not in my 70's people.

  9. #29
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007


    Kids today can't even tell what time it is looking at a clock, unless it's digital. The dropout rates in High Schools are at a all-time high. Higher education is harder to reach for underpriveledged kids with tuition going thru the roof. So unless your mommy and daddy can afford to send you to college, you'd better learn how to count change.

  10. #30
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Math 1957 - 2007

    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    I remember 80085 form math in the late 70's
    ;D

    [size=10pt]LMAO, now it's 5318008 (upside down), the new math![/size]
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I did the math: 9-7
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
  2. Cajun math.
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
  3. Beer Math !!
    By CynicalVike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 07:05 AM
  4. New Math Question
    By NeoVikesTX in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 07:48 AM
  5. Math Question
    By Del Rio in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 09:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •