Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Math 1957 - 2007

* DISCLAIMER! I did not write this. It was written by someone else. I received it in an e-mail today & did nothing more than post it.

(As a side disclaimer. I do not write the articles I post everyday either. )

:P

Math 1957 - 2007

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80.
    Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Math 1957 - 2007

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

i worked as a cashier at a restaurant. it was my high school job, and i loved it very much. (i say it like it was 50 years ago, it was last year).

so i was the second most expereinced cashier, so I did a lot of the training. even though you punch the amount of money they give you in, and the computer automatically does the math from the amount owed.. you would still get people who had a hard tim counting back 85 cents! they would use 2 quarters, three dimes, and a nickel, instead of three quarters and a dime...

annnnyways. every once and a while the amount would be 22.55 and they would give you 23 dollars, and then find a nickel in their pocket.. oh my goodness the new girls would freak out! the guys usually seemed to get it (maybe it's because there were only two guys there).

for crying out loud.. it's simple two digit math
    i m better than you, so just give up...

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

I remember 80085 form math in the late 70's
    ;D

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    Math 1957 - 2007

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80.
    Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
    Although your little chart was dumb, not being able to count back change is really sad.
    But I don't think you can really generalize it into poor teaching without coming off ass a cranky old man saying "back in my day".

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"Schutz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Math 1957 - 2007

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
    Although your little chart was dumb, not being able to count back change is really sad.
    But I don't think you can really generalize it into poor teaching without coming off ass a cranky old man saying "back in my day".

It's a Reader Digest joke from Feb '96 from back in the day people read stuff on paper
    :
    without smilies

Haha, I think I just got lectured about not reading.
    I'm just a history major, no reading involved........really.

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

"Schutz" wrote:
    BUT YOU KIDS CANT COUNT OR DO MATH AND HERES PROOF! I BET YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A BOOK IS
    YOU ONLY READ THINGS THAT ARE LYKE tHiS ROLLYEYES RAH RAH RAH

"litlharsh" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    BUT YOU KIDS CANT COUNT OR DO MATH AND HERES PROOF! I BET YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A BOOK IS
    YOU ONLY READ THINGS THAT ARE LYKE tHiS ROLLYEYES RAH RAH RAH
    ;D That made me smile.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Singer I bet you can't do your kids homework.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast